Ask the Experts / How do you guys make rapids?

• Jappy%s's Photo

Well, how do you guys do it now with all those options OpenRCT2 has introduced? I usually use the method described in the reddit guide thread, but I find it always a lot of work... There has to be an easier method now. So.... enlighten me and share your method!

• Stoksy%s's Photo

I imagine changing the track-type to crooked house is still the easiest method, using merges for diagonal sections/large turns and then tile-inspecting them. Haven't actually built a real rapids ride since OpenRCT2 but it's on the list of things to do once I have the time.

• imlegos%s's Photo

Pretty sure it's changing the ride vehicle on another track to rapids.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

using merges for diagonal sections/large turns

If you are using OpenRCT2 and don't care about vanilla, you can just use crooked house - it works on all track pieces.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

I imagine changing the track-type to crooked house is still the easiest method, using merges for diagonal sections/large turns and then tile-inspecting them. Haven't actually built a real rapids ride since OpenRCT2 but it's on the list of things to do once I have the time.

This is what I do, but I gee hack instead of using the tile inspector. I still prefer that method. I like to make things compatible with vanilla.

• imlegos%s's Photo

Not quite sure how using the tile inspector makes in incompatible with RCT2, The tile inspector just seems to modify the map data, similar to how an external program would, just in-game with a more use-able interface

• G Force%s's Photo

Gee hack also preserves stats, while crooked house does not.

However, merging the rapids onto track often gives the impression that the boats are raised above the water, rather than on the surface.  I guess you could lower the track 1 unit with the tile inspector now and it might look fine, haven't tested that though.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Not quite sure how using the tile inspector makes in incompatible with RCT2, The tile inspector just seems to modify the map data, similar to how an external program would, just in-game with a more use-able interface

I think he's referring to using crooked house mode with diagonal track pieces. This crashes vanilla but works in open.

• Jappy%s's Photo

Right, I'm gonna try it by building a minicoaster, change the cars to rapid boats, and then use tile inspector to make it all invisible.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Well, how do you guys do it now with all those options OpenRCT2 has introduced? I usually use the method described in the reddit guide thread, but I find it always a lot of work... There has to be an easier method now. So.... enlighten me and share your method!

Was that the shitty old guide I wrote?
  • Jappy%s's Photo

That shitty guide has been the way I did it ever since lol.

• Liampie%s's Photo

What's wrong with just using crooked house mode?

• Jappy%s's Photo

On the rapids track? Is that posible when using those waterfall and rapids pieces? And what baout large swooping turns? Or turntable stations?

• nicman%s's Photo

Whats wrong with inserting corrupt elements.

• G Force%s's Photo

The optimal way is probably to build a rapids station, merge it onto track and make that crooked house (granted it will only work in OpenRCT if you have diagonals).  Then use the tile inspector on the station/rapids portion.  This allows you to preserver the statistics and also have curves and stuff.

Though, honestly, I almost prefer making the whole thing out of rapids track, but have two sections.  One for the main course which you crooked house, basically just to save time.  While the station portion you tile inspector so the stats can be preserved.  Otherwise, if you make the whole thing crooked house, which I've mistakenly done in the past, you have crooked house ride stats and no one queue's up.

• Liampie%s's Photo

@Jappy: why not? If you want compatibility with ClosedRCTthere are of course a few forbidden elements, but if you don't use those (and you don't have to at all!) Crooked House is the best way.

@nicman: corrupt elements take a LONG time to set up compared to crooked house. And if you want to build something else on those tiles, you're fucked because you have to undo everything tile by tile. Scoop used corrupt elements for the water coaster in the NCSO park, and once a merge got fucked by accident it was virtually impossible to fix without making the coaster visible again tile by tile. That was horror and totally unnecessary. No, crooked house is better. It literally takes five clicks in total. FIVE.

@G Force: in Mirage Islands I set the track to enterprise instead of crooked house. Excitement rating was over 4, so that's much more acceptable.

• bigshootergill%s's Photo
    I set the track to enterprise instead of crooked house. Excitement rating was over 4, so that's much more acceptable.

I had no idea this was even an option. SWEET!

• FredD%s's Photo

in Mirage Islands I set the track to enterprise instead of crooked house. Excitement rating was over 4, so that's much more acceptable.

Stupid question, but how did you manage to change the track to crooked house and enterprise?! 

• GammaZero%s's Photo

Stupid question, but how did you manage to change the track to crooked house and enterprise?! 

I'm guessing you're in Open, so just turn the "Arbitrary Ride Type Changes" cheat on and modify the desired ride.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading