General Chat / NE Film Club

• Liampie%s's Photo

Since many of us are at least mildly interested in film, this seems like a fun idea to me: agreeing to watch the same movie, then talking about it. We could do like one movie per two weeks, or two or three per month, whatever we think is feasible. The movies to watch can be selected with a poll maybe. This is also a good way to get in touch with movies you wouldn't watch otherwise.

Let's see what we can cook up for a few days, and then start the cycle on Sunday.

My suggestions to watch are:

- The Thin Red Line (1998) (2h50)
    - Soylent Green (1973) (1h37)
    - Tape (2001) (1h26)

Who's in, and what should we watch?

• Steve%s's Photo
    I'm in. I'll try and gather my top three choices as well!
  • Version1%s's Photo

I guess the biggest problem would be how to get to the films. Thin Red Line is on German Netflix right now, but if I didn't want to pirate I would have no good way to get to the other two, possibly.

I'm in in any case. I'd suggest, if we want to have 3 movies going, to go with three different eras (like up to 50s/60-80s/90s-today)

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Nice idea. As for V1's problem: http://www.canistream.it/ Perhaps it could be combined. Maybe people who suggest a movie can let people know where they're able to watch although country restrictions may make it tough.

I'll try and see if I can watch any of those films, although I'm probably more likely to suggest some films of my own to-watch-list tbh.

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    In. Are we after like lesser-watched sleeper movies? Or anything?

- Primer
    - Twelve Angry Men
    - My Cousin Vinny
  • G Force%s's Photo

Twelve Angry Men is probably my favorite movie of all time.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

12 angry men. yes please.

• Version1%s's Photo

I'll just post a list of a couple of films I always wanted to see but never got around to it:

-Where Eagles Dare (1968)

-The Thin Red Line (1998)

-Escape from Alcatraz (1979)

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

-2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

-12 Angry Men (1957)

-Se7en (1995)

-Locke (2013)

-Phone Booth (2002)

(-Seven Samurai (1954))

• Faas%s's Photo
    Good idea. I'd like to add:

The Warriors (1979)
  • Louis!%s's Photo

I take it everyone is suggesting cultured/intelligent/intellectual films... so I won't make any suggestions.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

We can discuss Kramer vs. Kramer so you get your dose of Meryl Streep, Louis.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    V1, eternal sunshine is my favorite movie of all time :)
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    I saw The Lighthouse this weekend and ho. ly. fuck. It's easily the best film I've seen in the past five years. Pattinson and Dafoe both put on incredible career-defining performances masterfully directed by Eggers. The whole thing is a thrill from start to finish, and it was simultaneously artful yet non-self-serious. I left the theater in awe and mild discomfort due to just how striking the film was. I can't think of anything I've seen recently that comes close or anything I will see in the future that might come close. 10/10, highly recommend if you haven't seen it. Can't wait to see it again!
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

saw Parasite on saturday, it whips ass

• Version1%s's Photo

The Lighthouse is fucking amazing.

• Version1%s's Photo

I'll just post my ranking of 2020 movies (Germany release) as it develops.

1. Knives Out

• chorkiel%s's Photo

I won't be surprised if that movie doesn't leave its place soon

• Version1%s's Photo

1. 1917

2. Knives Out

• SSSammy%s's Photo

jojo rabbit. not perfect, but undeniably heartfelt.

• Version1%s's Photo

1. 1917
    2. Knives Out
    3. Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading