RCT Discussion / Coming soon: train rides for your every need

• spacek531%s's Photo
    Roller coasters and other rides are an incidental part of why I make rides for RCT2. The real reason is so that I can bloat the transport rides tab with as many useful rides as possible. I am still getting into the swing of it, though, so progress on that front is not as fast as it could be.

Regardless, there was, or perhaps continues to be, a period where realism is really important. And what's more important than making sure your park has the proper train? After a lot of research, I have compiled a list of the 5 most common train types in American theme parks:

36"  4-4-0  live-steam
    36"  2-4-0  diesel-hydraulic
    36"  4-4-0  diesel-hydraulic
    24"  4-2-4  diesel-hydraulic
    24"  4-4-0  live-steam
    15"  4-4-0  live-steam

Here's a breakdown of these five types in the highest-profile operations:

36" 4-4-0 live-steam:
    Busch Gardens Tampa, World of Fun, King's Island, Six Flags St. Louis, Six Flags over Georgia*, King's Dominion

CmAonbs.png

36" 2-4-0 diesel-hydraulic:
    Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America, Cedar Point**, Six Flags over Texas

qUjPIE0.png

36" 4-4-0 diesel-hydraulic:
    Canada's Wonderland, Valleyfair

IOVr1GS.png

24" 4-2-4 diesel-hydraulic:
    Michigan's Adventure, Kemah Boardwalk, Holiday World, Oaks Park, many many zoos, some public parks

vkFhBJp.png

24" 4-4-0 live-steam:
    Hersheypark, Six Flags Great Adventure (defunct)

[imagine the picture below but slightly larger]

15" 4-4-0 live-steam:
    Knotts, Canobie Lake, Knoebels, some public parks

rlxu2q0.png

*Converted to diesel-hydraulic between 1990 and 2002
    **Actually live steam
    Actually 36" 2-4-2 live-steam locomotives, which are closest to 36" 2-4-0 locomotives

There is no schedule for the release of these 5 types and they are not presented in a scheduled order. Rest assured, though, be it a park owned by Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Sea World, chances are they will use one of these.

If you are interested in some memorabilia, here is a Crown Metal Products catalog from 1975: http://www.trainweb....News/crown.html

EDIT: I erroneously listed Hersheypark as using 15" 4-4-0 live steam locomotives. They actually use 24" 4-4-0 live steam locomotives, as did Six Flags Great Adventure.
  • CoasterCreator9%s's Photo
    Hell yes.
  • DejaVu2001%s's Photo
    "36" 2-4-0 diesel-hydraulic:
    Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America, Cedar Point**, Six Flags over Texas†"

YES!!!  Follow-up question, will these locomotives include more respectable coaches than the current 6 seaters?

• Jappy%s's Photo

If I way place two requests for the Euro boys.... 

Park trains here in Europe were quite often recycled field railway (more commonly know even in English as "feldbahnen") stock. Second hand narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock converted to be used in theme parks. Since the track of the miniature railway in RCT is narrow gauge, may I request these two very common type of engines to be made in RCT? Coaches can be the default open or closed ones.

feldbahn-museum-frankfurt-rebstock-hensc

Feldbahn_der_Ziegelei_Hundisburg.jpg?cb=

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

I think some tank engines and diesel engines such as the ones Jappy suggest are more interesting than x number of variants of American-style steam engines. For most applications I feel the generic type already available in game is sufficient. In terms of steam engines, beside the tank engine already suggested by Jappy, I'd rather see a generic "European" type to complement the very typically American and British standard types in game. In case you need inspiration you could always have a look at German steam engines. Those were widely dispersed throughout Europe after WWII, and generally European steam engines of non-German origin were similar anyway (the British engines really had a very peculiar style compared to the rest of Europe).

American-style diesel engines could be a nice addition, though!  

• spacek531%s's Photo

I have extensively researched the Efteling Spoorweg Maatschappij many years ago, so I am familiar with the feldbahn concept. That said, I have found that the majority of large parks in Europe (the ones that appear first in Google searches, at any rate) mostly use American-themed trains. I blame Disney.

Here is a breakdown of the trains used in the largest parks in Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, and France:

36" 4-4-0 live-steam (same as above):

Fort Fun Abenteuerland,  Freizeitpark Plohn (Westerneisenbahn), Disneyland Paris,

24" 4-2-4 diesel-hydraulic (same as above):

Europa Park, Heide Park, Walibi Holland, Bobbejaanland (defunct), Plopsaland De Panne

15" 4-4-0 live-steam (same as above):

Hansa Park*

other common styles:

24" 0-4-0 live-steam (feldbahn equipment):

Efteling**, Le Pal, Nigloland

24" 0-4-0 diesel-hydraulic (feldbahn equipment):

Linnaeushof, Sprookjeswonderland

24" 4-2-2 diesel-hydraulic:

Walibi Belgium, Bellewaerde

24" 4-4-4 no operator:

Dreizeitpark Plohn (Kindereisenbahn), Ruegen park***, Drouwenerzand

*Actually is diesel-hydraulic or electric

**With tender

***Has an operator

It appears from some research that large parks tend to use the same options as other large parks. If you have better statistics on distribution of train types among European parks, I am all for it. Remember" this thread is more-or-less an announcement. Other announcements may  come, or may not come, for other rides.

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

^Well, that is a very relevant point! I'd still like an oldschool US diesel engine! 

• Gustav Goblin%s's Photo

I can't wait to see them! I did make a custom scenario based on a little scenic railway in need of revival, and I know those would look right at home weaving through the forest.

On the topic of trains, I remember when you first brought up your plans for your tracked rides, you had a more conventional American steam engine in the list. Just like how you intend your low floor trams to be used, I like the thought of an older park with a steam train occasionally passing by in the distance.

• spacek531%s's Photo

Making standard-gauge trains at full size is currently impossible in RCT2 because the draw order code can only handle vehicles that are so long, a length that is much shorter than any decent sized train could be.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading