Ask the Experts / How to use OpenGL for OpenRCT2

• Jappy%s's Photo

I keep seeing this regularly on the Discord and in the forums that you need OpenGL to run parks as they cause some serious lag otherwise. Yet I still have to find a tutorial to make this work because if I go in settings and enable OpenGL my RCT looks like someone vomited a strobelight all over it.

d1th8EI.png

• GammaZero%s's Photo

Same issue for me. It's a bummer to see a lot of players saying OpenGL enhances parks and stuff, but not be able to use it at all. (Except for stuff like Wit's End maybe :p )

• Liampie%s's Photo
    That looks better than the error message and crash I get. It's a bummer indeed, because now a lot of people are making parks that look great for half the community and shit for the other half. Come on guys, be considerate!
  • Ziscor%s's Photo

this is so sad......................

can we get 50 lieks?

• SSSammy%s's Photo

are you using old/weak computers?

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    I'm using a new model gaming laptop, so probably not
  • Jappy%s's Photo

Im using a bog-standard ASUS K401U laptop. 

• G Force%s's Photo
    You need to set your RCT to run on a GPU rather than a integrated card. Which unfortunately not every laptop (or even desktop) can do.

I don't know if there is any other solution unfortunately.
  • saxman1089%s's Photo

After H2H I plan to dive deeply into this, hopefully getting it to work on my laptop (which does have a dedicated GPU), and then maybe I can help some other folks out. 

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

One option is to make sure you're all up-to-date with OpenGL:

https://www.opengl.org/

I've never really had an issue with it, but I don't think my motherboard has integrated graphics, or my computer just defaulted to the GPU for everything (as it should...).

Hopefully you guys can get it working, it's made viewing highly dense parks silky smooth.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading