Ask the Experts / [Guide] Merging with OpenRCT

• Version1%s's Photo

So, most of you guys know the old merging method of using different rides and the boat hire mode. OpenRCT however allows us to merge without having to use the boat hire mode, which has other obvious advantages (you can test rides more easily, etc). Here's how it works:

1. Allow arbitrary ride type changes:

Attached File  Six Flags over Texas 2018-12-27 17-39-35.png (27.78KB)
    downloads: 19

2. Build your coaster with a track that allows all the elements you need:

Attached File  Six Flags over Texas 2018-12-27 17-41-42.png (65.58KB)
    downloads: 21

3. Switch the ride type to whatever you want it to be:

Attached File  Six Flags over Texas 2018-12-27 17-41-54.png (39.01KB)
    downloads: 18

4. Observe how track pieces that aren't supported disappear. This doesn't go for elements of the same track type (Vertical Drop coasters can still use Twister coaster rolls, etc.):

Attached File  Six Flags over Texas 2018-12-27 17-41-58.png (74.44KB)
    downloads: 15

5. Adjust the launch speeds (if necessary) since Giga and Twister track have different booster speeds:

Attached File  Six Flags over Texas 2018-12-27 17-42-10.png (36.87KB)
    downloads: 12

6. Test the ride. Track pieces that aren't supported are invisible, but still functional. Now you can just lower dummy track into the missing spaces or build the track in reverse.

Attached File  Six Flags over Texas 2018-12-27 17-42-32.png (83.38KB)
    downloads: 9

PS: Track type switching also works while building a coaster. So you can build lift and holding break of a Vertical Drop coaster and then switch to Twister track without any issues.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

OpenRCT however allows us to merge without having to use the boat hire mode

So did vanilla, as far as I'm aware. The method you describe doesn't work in vanilla but an actual merge will as long as the unmerged track is a complete circuit (at least, I can't think of any reason that it wouldn't - I can't recall if I ever tested it but I believe the technique predates OpenRCT2).

The method you describe is easier to set up than a merge, but it does only work in OpenRCT2.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    ^ can confirm in LL when i tries to make aquatopia with crisscrossing tracks boats got stuck in loops from merges
  • Chocotopian%s's Photo

Please could you explain to me the combination of ride, mode, cars etc. needed to make Swan Boats travel on their track, but make that track invisible? I tried messing around but couldn't get anything to work.

• Lykos_Gen%s's Photo
    @Chocotopian If you want to get the track invisible use arbitrary ride type changes in cheats and have the ride functioning in test or run mode and change the track type to elevator/ lift. To change the track type click on the ride with the cheat enabled and there should be a drop down list. If you dont have the elevator selected in your park list it wont show up on the ride type list.

@Version1 to make this a little easier once you have the ride type you want, instead of lowering pieces take the track type you want and run it in reverse of where the unsupported track is. It will take less tile inspector. 😁👍🏻

Better yet deurklink has several helpful videos on YouTube that show how to do some crazy tricks in open rct2. Here is track merging. https://youtu.be/HXw_m7kU39s
  • Chocotopian%s's Photo

Thank you, Lykos_Gen! Been struggling with this for ages. Unfortunately I don't have the Elevator in my ride list, but Bumper Car mode seems to work just fine (without the Swans overlapping as in some other modes). Once again, thanks for you help.

• Lykos_Gen%s's Photo
    @Chocotopian glad I could help. If you have other questions just ask in a private message and i’ll Answer the best I can. If there is a video on YouTube that can help i’ll also share it. good luck.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading