General Chat / Sens' beer tastings

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

So I work at a liquor store in the beer department rn. While I used to not drink beer, I started drinking one new beer everyday after work to get to know what they taste like. I'll be posting my findings here. If you guys wanna recommend anything, be my guest, I'd love to try new stuff.

For starters, this is today's beer: Metric by Industrial Arts, a pilsner that imo tastes nice a hoppy but not overwhelmingly bitter. Industrial Arts has definitely built up a good reputation and in trying my first Industrial Arts beer, I can day they lived up to the hype. It's smooth and tasty, I recommend it.

Attached File  56521549_2262378577152856_7875867116212060160_n.jpg (50.17KB)
    downloads: 11

Today involved two European beers: Delirium Tremens and Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel.

First off was the Delirium Tremens, which is the beer equivalent of calling a rollercoaster "The Restraint Failure". This Belgian ale was really hyped up by several people, and while it was good, it felt a little underwhelming. It wasn't watery or with any of the typical drawbacks of bad beer, largely because it wasn't, but I still felt like I could've gotten more out of this than just mild hoppiness. Although, this might be more of a preference of mine rather than an actual critique of the beer itself, as I have a bad track record with Belgian whites. Summarily, this beer is dividing me, because I can see how good it is, but it's just a type of beer I don't enjoy. So if you like Belgian whites (the beers, not Jappy and FredD), I'd say give it a go. Otherwise, if you're looking for something hoppier, or darker, or even sweeter, Delirium Tremens probably isn't for you

On the other hand, we have Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, which is leagues darker than the Delirium. This was actually probably a foil of the Delirium, being dark and foamy, to the point where it almost tasted like black coffee. This was definitely a winner for me. Zero sweetness and a dark, roasted taste make a good combo with hearty fare or anything salty, which isn't surprising given that is a German beer. It's relatively low alcohol content (5.3% ABV) also makes it a good beer with dinner. I give this one a thumbs up and a good try for anyone who likes darks, or even for people who like black coffee.

Attached File  IMG_20190410_221104338_HDR.jpg (192.91KB)
    downloads: 9

• FredD%s's Photo

So if you like Belgian whites (the beers, not Jappy and FredD)

Heeeey! :(

Heeeey! :(

Would you prefer if I covered you two in the next review 
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I'm personally more interested in Sens reviewing NE members than this beer stuff, but it's also a widely known fact that I'm not interested in alcohol.

I'm personally more interested in Sens reviewing NE members than this beer stuff, but it's also a widely known fact that I'm not interested in alcohol.

I feel like that would be very fun to write but go over very, very poorly 

Let's talk about the elephant in the room, or more precisely, why Sapporo Beer smells like weed and tastes awful.

Now, I should clarify, Japanese import Sapporo is hard to get near me, what *is* available is Sapporo brewed beers made in Canada. And while the recipe is the same, the ingredients, from what I've heard, are not. So I can only hope that Japanese Sapporo tastes better.

But dear god is the Canadian brewed one bad. I mean just straight bad, like bud light bad. I don't understand it. Molson-brewed Asahi tastes pretty good, dry and hoppy but not overwhelming, a nice simple lager. But then why is Sapporo so bad. It has no excuses.

Attached File  IMG_20190412_183926466.jpg (187.68KB)
    downloads: 1

Port Brewing Co.'s Board Meeting tastes exactly like black coffee. It's honestly one of the best of the best coffee brown ales I've had too, with hints of cocoa flavor and that nice roasted taste. For anyone who likes that kind of coffee bitterness, this is an absolute must-have.

Attached File  IMG_20190422_190303831_HDR.jpg (147.5KB)
    downloads: 2

• MrTycoonCoaster%s's Photo
    Hello SensualEthiopianPolice

I sincerely apologize for anything, but I've been through it.
    Please do not take offense, this is not my intention.
    Try to get rid of this habit, this can certainly bring you very bad consequences.
    It is been 18 years since I stopped drinking, it almost took me to the total destruction of my life, at the beginning when I started drinking, I said I was under control.
    There is no "I control myself", unfortunately until the world health organization recognizes that constant habit of alcoholic beverage becomes disease.
    I know the vast majority of people love to drink alcohol, but believe me, today you are smiling and crying tomorrow, think about it.
    Unfortunately I have several friends where we grew up together in the course of life, because of the alcoholic drink they lost their health (Infarction, sirrose, serious problems in the kidneys, liver, etc.), lost family, wives, girlfriends, cars, and even their Jobs, and friends all moved away.
    I know that life is yours, your decision, just a message.

Stay in Peace :)
  • Mattk48%s's Photo

Everything in moderation. Sad to hear you've had people close to you fall into alcoholism MTC. But don't let that demonize it for you. 

I think this thread is cool, as a Canadian i've never seen or heard of any of these beers. That coffee one is especially interesting. Is there caffeine in it? The first beer in the thread looks like a tron art style lol. 

Everything in moderation. Sad to hear you've had people close to you fall into alcoholism MTC. But don't let that demonize it for you. 

I think this thread is cool, as a Canadian i've never seen or heard of any of these beers. That coffee one is especially interesting. Is there caffeine in it? The first beer in the thread looks like a tron art style lol. 

I can't figure out if there actually is caffeine in it, but I know there is cacao in it definitely. As for the Metric, most Industrial Arts cans look like that and I've yet to try their most popular NEIPA, Wrench
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

12 posts in and no Truth yet smdh

[ntamin22' timestamp='1556060956' post='752476']

12 posts in and no Truth yet smdh

Is that the brew or the brewery? 
  • csw%s's Photo

I feel like beer is hard to discuss on a site like this since everyone is from different parts of the world and beer is such a regional thing. I could name most of the well-known breweries in the surrounding 2 or 3 states but I have absolutely zero idea of anything beyond that. That being said, I like anything from Three Floyds and Bell's. I did manage to try some Heady Topper when I was in Vermont last year. I don't have enough of an IPA palate catalogued yet but it was very good. 

Typically I am a fan of anything except lagers and really bitter IPAs, like triple IPAs. Stouts and hoppy pilsners are probably my favorites, but it's also hard to beat a good ale. 

LET'S TALK ABOUT COFFEE BEER. It's really good, it might even be the pinnacle of beer, because nothing tastes quite as good as a coffee stout or ale. Even though Board Meeting by Port Brewing Co. stills remains my personal favorite coffee beer (and possibly personal favorite overall), I have discovered that coffee beers are fantastic in general, and I've been drinking them like crazy.

Case in point is Kiuchi Brewery's Hitachino Espresso Stout. While lacking the subtle chocolate taste that the cacao nibs added to the Board Meeting, Hitachino stands tall in its own right bringing out the best of both the stout and the espresso. Definitely among the most bitter beers I've ever had and a definite recommendation from me if you like dark beers or coffee.

Attached File  IMG_20190424_180946115_HDR.jpg (192.93KB)
    downloads: 1

But, as a couple people pointed out, they'd prefer if I also recommended more easily available beers. And while I've still not gotten around to Bell's (I'll get to it soon), I did get another Industrial Arts, and this time, it was their magnus opus, their NEIPA Wrench. Industrial Arts is based out of Vermont so getting it outside of the northeast US might be difficult. But if you like NEIPAs, this is worth a road trip just to try. Wrench is right in the sweet spot of hoppiness for an IPA with a great, semi-sweet, semi-sour citrus taste that is found in New England style IPAs

Attached File  IMG_20190424_180934062.jpg (145.36KB)
    downloads: 3

And finally, I wanna share a brewery based in Lakewood, NJ that is probably the opposite of easily available (sorry). But I really wanna talk about Icarus. Even living in NJ, Icarus is hard to get, the liquor store I work at can only get one single case of 4 pack cans a week, and it sells so well, we break them up in 2 packs so we can meet demand. But if you are looking for hops, look no further than Icarus. I can't recommend a single brew they make since every week, we get a brand new one, but they all have the same standard of quality I really can't get with other beers. Pure bliss, I recommend visiting Lakewood next time you visit Six Flags Great Adventure for Icarus Brewery alone.

Attached File  IMG_20190412_200226462_HDR.jpg (178.18KB)
    downloads: 3

And in closing, I have a question for Europeans: Are there any types of beer that are hard to find in Europe? When I check out international selections, I rarely if ever see IPAs.

Also if anyone has a suggestions for what I should check out next, please let me know because I love trying new beers and writing this is becoming really fun for me!

Today's topic after not posting for two weeks is milkshake beers. (I really should post more often)

Milkshake beers might sound unappetizing as at first glance, the bitter taste of hops really doesn't seem like it would mesh well with a milky, fruity taste. But surprisingly, they go together exceptionally well, possibly better than the roasted earthy taste of a stout and the roasted earthy taste of coffee.

My first example is Edmund's Oast Brewing's Fountain Drink. This 5.8% ABV beer really caught my eye, being brewed with lactose, vanilla, and strawberries. It got me expecting either the best beer I've ever had, or the worst. In reality, it ended up tasting like a pretty standard pale ale, slight hoppiness and general bitterness, but the flavors came together well in the aftertaste. That's when the vanilla and strawberry hit. And it wasn't a sucker punch either, it was nice, subtle, smooth, and seamless from the standard pale ale taste. Definitely worth a try if you can get your hands on this South Carolina brew.

Attached File  IMG_20190513_181011051_HDR.jpg (150.73KB)

Following it however, was the much less subtle and much more impressive Smoothie Dreams from Captain Lawrence Brewery out of Elmsford, New York. They aren't lying when they call this a smoothie. The milky sweet tastes came through right away. At first I didn't know what to think of it. Drinking a beer and getting a milkshake gives one whiplash. But once these tastes settle down in your mouth, you start to realize just how good it is and are starting on your second and third sips. Combining milk sugar, black raspberry, pomegranate, and vanilla, Captain Lawrence isn't trying to ease you into it like Edmund's Oast. This 7.2% ABV ale comes out swinging with the flavors hitting you right away, most notably the vanilla and black raspberry. It almost seems more proud of the new taste combo they've made, than the ale it's added to, which in this case, is a plus. If you're looking for a unique tasting beer, this is my personal favorite recommendation.

Attached File  IMG_20190513_180914033.jpg (171.83KB)

Anywho, please tell me if you like these reviews and/or if there's certain beers you want me to review

• Liampie%s's Photo

I've only read the last post because i spotted the word 'milkshake'. I'm no beer fan at all, but I like milkshakes. I'm definitely interested in trying the Smoothie Dreams now. Sounds fucking weird.

Also these seem quite well written but since I have zero knowledge and interested in beer shit, this may as well be incorrect, incomplete, cliché-ridden, and  frankenstein'd from professional reviews, and I wouldn't know.

• Ling%s's Photo

That Smoothie Dreams sounds fascinating but unfortunately we get shit for beer selection out here.

That Smoothie Dreams sounds fascinating but unfortunately we get shit for beer selection out here.

where are you 
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    @Ling I just had a friend who lives near you say just the opposite.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading