General Chat / Cocoa's travels in 2019 (phantasialand June 30!)

• Cocoa%s's Photo

Hey folks,

I've got some neat trips lined up for 2019 so I thought I'd put my plans here to see if anyone would be keen to meet up/ go to a theme park/ give me general good advice. I promise I'm not a weirdo. Actually I take that back, weirdos are cool.

Europe trip:

So I've got this physics summer school/conference thing in Poland in June, finishing up on the 22nd. I was probably gonna hit up energyland and legendia right after, then train over to Berlin for maybe 5 or so days. I'm gonna meet up with an IRL friend of mine and probably hit some clubs or do whatever trendy weird shit goes on in Berlin, not sure. I don't think there's much in the way of theme parks nearby? But anyway always open to meet NE people and get cool berlin advice.

Then I'm not sure- I was thinking maybe train to cologne to hit up phantasialand and maybe whatever tourist stuff there is. Thoughts from Germans here?

My only restraint is I've got to fly to scotland on july 5th for a family thing (so I've got 12 full free days I guess, not so much!).

I was thinking after the cologne stop to maybe head into netherlands/amsterdam- I know faas had a generous offer of a bed, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for utrecht and amsterdam- maybe I could stop a night in utrecht, share some beers, then head off the next day or something. Anyway I probably should decide soon so I can book my flight to scotland :p

Maybe hit efteling or something while I'm at it?

florida/san francisco trip

OK this one is maybe more of a cp6 question, I already asked some advice on the discord. I arrive in orlando tuesday dec 17, then my family was planning to hit animal kingdom and both universals the next 3 days, then drive to BGT on the way to where my other side of the family lives in florida. If anyone was around those times, I could definitely grab a beer at night or maybe a quick jaunt over to fun spot for some credits. I'll probably bug you florida people for specific advice closer to the time anyway, especially when I'm trying to figure out how fastpasses work now, and considering it'll probably be quite crowded around then. :p Or let me know if thats a dumb choice of parks to go to! There's so many...

I also have a stopover in san francisco on my way home, but I haven't actually booked my flight to san francisco so could stay a couple nights there (hopefully I'll have a friend at Berkeley to crash with). I have no idea who at NE lives in the area but I could be keen to try and sneak in a CGA or SFDK visit while I'm around. I've been to san fran before so I don't mind skipping the touristy shit, except I will be going to the mission district for the best burrito in the world according to nate silver... 

Anyway, keen to meet some of you if you feel like it, let me know and I'll spot you a beer, or otherwise I'm just keen for travel advice in general. (Sorry I don't have a rigorous schedule set, I'm not really that kind of guy I guess)

• Jappy%s's Photo

I'd love to meet up! Berlin is however not that easy for me, but I imagine Cologne, PHL or Utrecht might be doable for me. Just let me know when, and I'll see if I can arrange something.

• In:Cities%s's Photo
    Feel free to reach out when you're in Florida! Always down to meet up.
  • Terry Inferno%s's Photo

Let me know if you do end up in my birth city (Berkeley), as I live about four miles from there.

I've been to that burrito place in the Mission district. As for the best in the world, I couldn't say, but there are at least three in Oakland that I would place ahead of it.

• FredD%s's Photo

Sounds cool! 

There aren't really theme parks around Berlin... but if you'd like to go swimming I would suggest Tropical Islands to you. It's build in a hangar and is the largest water park in the world. Never been there myself but it's on my bucket list. However, if I believe some friends of mine who went there, it's more based on relaxing that thrilling slides. Don't know what you're into but maybe it's something you'd like to do?!

If you can do Phantasialand, do it! On of the best European theme parks. I'd also have the chance to meet up with you there. Preferably on the 30th of June (I saw your data on discord) which is easier for me because I don't have to work on Sundays and the 1st of July I'll be at Walibi Holland for the opening of Untamed. If you don't want to meet me ignore this paragraph (with exception of the first sentence, you should still go there if you have the chance).

Efteling is fun, may I remind you Untamed at Walibi Holland will open at July 1st?! ;)  I have no doubt it will become the best coaster from the Benelux and they also have Goliath there at the park. Which is also a great coaster. So if you have the time... I'd think about it. If you have the time for doing an extra park in The Netherlands outside of Efteling, and you would like to do a more themed park than Walibi. Go for Toverland.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

thats good advice fredd- I always put efteling first on my anticipated parks list because its sort of feels like a european rct-mecca, so I wasn't considering walibi or toverland as much. But maybe I should be!

also terry, I will definitely take you up on the implied suggestion of a burrito tour of oakland

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Walibi and Efteling are just two worlds apart. Efteling is all based on an immersive experience where everything is themed. Walibi is essentially Six Flags where the rides are most important. The queue of Goliath is one concrete square whereas the queue for most Efteling rides are themed and rather enjoyable. Depending on what you prefer in a park, you can almost know up front which one of them you'll like better than the other.

• Casimir%s's Photo

If you fly out of Frankfurt airport at some point, give me a heads-up! :)

• Kumba%s's Photo

I might be able to make it up to Central Florida (I live in Miami) in mid December. Keep me/us posted. There are a few guys up in that area and we have had good meet-ups in the past.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

BTW jappy fredd and I have locked in June 30th for phantasialand, if anyone else would want to join that would be sick. RWE, Liam, faas, etc!

• Liampie%s's Photo

A Sunday in June!? I'm not sure how good of an idea that is honestly, especially considering it's not easy to get there.

• FredD%s's Photo

A Sunday in June!? I'm not sure how good of an idea that is honestly, especially considering it's not easy to get there.

Sundays are pretty safe when it comes to crowds in my experience, I've been told it's because the locals are still pretty religious. Don't know what's true about that... Also in most of Germany the summer holiday starts later on. It's a safe risk imo.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading