General Chat / Are You Scared Of The Dentist?

Are You Scared of the Dentist?

• SSSammy%s's Photo

Do You Fear the Lord of Teeth? Do you Love the House of Enamel? Do you have any dentist/orthodontist related tales to regale us with?

• trav%s's Photo

Absolutely not. He makes my teeth shiny

• Lilith%s's Photo
    which dentist
  • SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

My entire life, I've never had a fear or dislike of dentists, so my dentist loves me. Plus, my dentist has an arcade cabinet of NBA Jam in the lobby

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

I dislike spending luxury amounts of money on literal physical necessities.  I have read too much to unquestioningly accept any dentists' diagnosis.  I will fully campaign for robot teeth as the first and most important step in transhumanist development and a milestone for our viability as an intergalactic species.

I do not begrudge the drillman for his drill; it is the crude instrument of our times.  It defiles us both by its existence equally.  We suffer alike under its' thumb.    

• Lilith%s's Photo
    my old family dentist tried to make a move on my mom after she got divorced. fuck the tooth man
  • Terry Inferno%s's Photo

As long as they administer the shots painlessly, I have no complaints that are not financially motivated. 

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Love for the dentist will come. You just need to find the right one.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

i too find it bewildering and endlessly frustrating that 'tooth doctor' is not wrapped up in the regular scope of medicine and so requires a whole different kind of insurance and payment quackery. plus, it spent so many years outside the realm of peer-reviewed medical science because of their lobbying power, that science based approaches to dentistry are embarrassingly recent and also totally inconsistent. fuck dentists, their very existence is an instrument and symptom of capitalism. maybe one day we can bask in a world of 'tooth doctors' instead.

plus i dont like to floss

• posix%s's Photo

Every time I leave the dentist I have flashbacks of previous generations from hundreds of years ago, who had no access whatsoever to this stuff. Makes me feel grateful.

• FredD%s's Photo

I'm terrified of it and fucking hate them. It's not really a fun or comfortable feeling when they are in your mouth working on your teeth. And I had bad luck as a child, I had the worst dentists when it came to comforting me or feeling me at ease. So yeah, didn't got off a good start and from the moment I was old enough that I should fix my dentists appointments myself... I just didn't go anymore.

I didn't go to a dentist for at least a decade. Which sounds really, really bad and it was... Until a few years back I got a crazy headache, it got worse every day. It took me a while to realise a bad tooth was causing it. It was horrible, all dentists have crazy long waiting lists before they can recieve you and while they are seen as "teeth doctors", medical profession, they seem like to not care at all when it comes to such a medical emergency like this.

I got to see a dentist of one my colleagues in between appointments and there I was quickly reminded why I fucking hate them so much. Ofc my teeth are a mess and she just simply said that she can't do anything when my teeth are in that state. So much for helping me solving my problem. It was easily the most terrible pain I ever experienced in my live, so much I came to a point I started to think I can not keep living with this pain. It was unbearable.

I got some strong painkiller which helped great at first but after a while my body seemed to get used to it and the pain was getting stronger again. I don't know how much time it took but finally I got to my appointment to a nearby dentist. Ofc he had to berate me on how I neglected my teeth... Yeah yeah, he was right but I also knew it myself. Why belittling me... Because it's one thing to just say that in a normal way which is fine, but once again a dentist was talking to me like I was a toddler. Repeatedly saying how bad it was and how he doesn't want to spend his work to a lost cause... 

But at least he got that one bad tooth fixed. It wasn't comfortable but it also wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. From what I remembered as a kid. Went back to him a second time to fix some more teeth. Third appointment it was his son who recieved me which made me nervous because he didn't told me that. I got really afraid again and I think he started a bit too soon after doing the local anesthesia. I quickly stopped him and said I didn't felt comfortable and stop this. And wanted a new appointment with his father, which went better.

But that got me back to my original fear for dentists... So now I haven't been for a while again. Knowing what pain it can cause it scares me and I do want to do something before it is too late. I found out a hospital here has a dental service for people who are scared. They do full anesthesia. I think this is the way to go here because whenever I have to see and feel a dentist working in my mouth I'll be scared as hell.

That was my story. Fuck dentists. They also ask way too much money for a medical profession. Lucky here we get a large bit paid back, but still...

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

maybe one day we can bask in a world of 'tooth doctors' instead.

No thanks, I'd rather go through neuro 5 times than learn about teeth to the extent dentists do.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading