Ask the Experts / Question about building at elevation

• OddmentsAlchemyLab%s's Photo

Good day, gurus.

I am brand new to the game, playing OpenRTC2. I am currently playing with a self-made, "Have Fun" scenario with most of the land @ 100' with a river carving a gorge through the map is a corner-to-corner "S" pattern, giving me multiple height planes to work with.

The landscape that I have set to 100' is difficult - almost frustratingly impossible - to select. Anything @ 0' selects fine; @ 100' not so much. I am sure that this has to do with the isometric view of the park (I am used to working with 3D CAD programs that let me fly around a structure to line things up). I am at the point of building everything and then trying to elevate when the layout is done via the "Height Adjustment" plugin, but that does have some disappointing limitations and that process sounds miserable.

I have a bit of background in construction, so my parks build from the lowest elevation first.

Any tips on how to work with tile selection when they are at vastly different elevations? I am sure I am doing something "Newbie-dumb." Thanks!

Odd

• Liampie%s's Photo

It's hard for me to visualise what you're talking about. What do you mean with selecting a landscape? Do you mean you have rides and scenery floating high up in the sky, far above the landscape itself?

Sharing a screen would help!

In any case, the shift, ctrl and z keys are essential. Shift lets you raise/lower scenery and rides as you place them, I'm sure you knew that one.

If you hover your cursor on a piece of scenery or whatever that you already built, and then press and hold ctrl, your cursor will stay at that height, letting you place scenery at that height. Very useful for taller structures, just try it until you get a feel for it.

Not relevant but often unknown - the z-key lets you rotate the scenery/ride you're about to place.

• OddmentsAlchemyLab%s's Photo

Thanks for the response. I think I've sorted it - which is good because my question wasn't very clear.

What I am struggling with is selecting land tiles when the elevations vary. I have a large plateau @ 100' and though it is over 50 tiles in size, I click in vain to activate a land tile at this height. I realize that it is just learning curve - or "re-learning" curve.

Rotating the park, selecting a different tool or tool size, and working with smaller areas at a time does the trick.

I did find the tutorial list you've curated (fantastic, btw!) and the CTRL tut is on top. I was halfway through your "Do's, Don'ts, & Fucking Don'ts" article when my wife gave me an ultimatum re: doing the dishes.

Thanks again for the reply. The game is bugged only at the "user point" in this case.

• theninefournine%s's Photo

Edit: Found it and don't know how/or if you can delete a post. Thanks

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading