General Chat / Model making

• Casimir%s's Photo

Hey there, everyone! Hope you all had a good 2021~ 

Recently, I got into a new hobby and I just wanted to see if maybe a love for RCT translates into that specific one for others on here as well.

My dad is a huge Legend of Zelda fan, he basically got me into video games in general by playing A Link to the Past with me when I was.. 5-ish. He's pretty bummed that Breath of the Wild 2 is still so far out, seemingly, so I got him Skyward Sword for his birthday that's coming up. However, giving him just the game felt a bit lackluster to me, so I dove head first into a new hobby - got myself some model maker foam, acrylic paint, hot glue, some good hobby knives, watched some pretty nice YouTube videos on the topic and just went ahead and built a OoT Forrest Temple diorama from the ground up.+

Attached File  IMG_1926.jpg (118.97KB)
    downloads: 14

The pre-built parts on this were, basically, the Link amiibo, the spider's body and the plants (they come as strands). Everything else was hand-crafted: The bricks are all foam, that big spiderweb and the little flames are made from hot-glue, the skulls on the spiders were custom made from clay and that little bridge is made from coffee stirrers.

Attached File  IMG_1928.jpg (158.17KB)
    downloads: 15

Attached File  IMG_1929.jpg (132.64KB)
    downloads: 9

Attached File  IMG_1930.jpg (93.52KB)
    downloads: 7

Attached File  IMG_1935.jpg (152.69KB)
    downloads: 7

Attached File  IMG_1936.jpg (190.18KB)
    downloads: 8

Just wanted to show off what I filled my evenings with for the last couple of weeks! And oh yes, of course it has internal LEDs.

How about you, are there any other model making enthusiasts in our community? I already have plans for the next project - gotta use all that material and all those new tools I got, after all.

Cheers, and here's to a good 2022 for everyone! 

Attached File  IMG_1938.jpg (154.62KB)
    downloads: 9

Attached File  IMG_1938bw.jpg (144.59KB)
    downloads: 6

• posix%s's Photo

Hey Cas, good to see you.

For an entirely different application, what glue products do you recommend for this kind of nitty-gritty stuff?

• Casimir%s's Photo

Hey there, posix! Nice to see you're still around :)

I basically just used generic hot glue on this, as well as wood glue and some Mod Podge mixed with paint as a sealing base coat. 

Still looking for a nice super glue that connects different kinds of plastic and foam, though..

Maybe you can find some recommendations on these guys' channels, though - that's where I got my own beginners' tips.

https://www.youtube....orthoftheBorder

https://www.youtube....c/StudsonStudio

• Liampie%s's Photo

This is your first time doing this? I'm a noob when it comes to miniature/model making, but this looks really good to me. If I'd see this on a shelve in a store I wouldn't think it out of place. Talent?

• Casimir%s's Photo

Yes, this has actually been my first ever shot at it!

Thanks Liam :) I did notice that this very physical style of artistic expression does suit my creative process really well. Never been too good at creative planning, I've always enjoyed "throwing" things together way more. Same with this, the only thing I planned out was that it should evoke my memories of playing Ocarina of Time.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading