Head-2-Head Classic / H2H Classic - General Topic

• Liampie%s's Photo

Retracing our collective footsteps

It's 2005. NE is going through a golden age. LL has conceded a lot of territority to RCT2, but it's still going strong with people like Coaster Ed, Fatha' and posix regularly producting high quality work. RCT2 is growing fast, with certain styles and movements having become established by now. Artist managed to string together 2.5 spotlights in the span of what feelsl ike a week. New objects by Toon, Magnus and Kumba are coming out frequently to further develop the game. Head-2-Head 3 and the second Pro Tour are happening. What a time to be alive! Except... It's 2022 and all this was seventeen years ago. But we can pretend.

Let's pretend. This is H2H Classic, a sequel to 2018's H2H8/8, is a way to get in touch with our ancestral RCT, in the context of NE's 20th Anniversary. H2H Classic is all mimicking styles of days gone by, and having fun doing so, above all else. The only way to lose, is attempting to win.

Whereas H2H8/8 attempted to capture the casual and simple nature of the very first Head-2-Head in 2002, H2H Classic moves on in the timeline a little bit, to 2005.

Credit to bigshootergill and the NEgt for the logo

Isole Calabria by Turtle (2005)
    Raindrop Riviera by posix (2003)
    Götheburg by sloB (2005)
    Basics of my Brain by cBass (2004)

Format

Instead of having a pre-determined schedule with pre-determined matches, the contest will be structured by just five pre-determined deadlines, or Rounds. You can submit a park at any point, and it will be a part of the next Round. All deadlines are at 23:59 GMT.

Event Date Time
    Contest launch Sunday July 10th

Captains determined Friday July 15th

Draft and kick-off Sunday July 17th

Round 1 deadline Wednesday July 27st  
    Round 2 deadline Sunday August 7th  
    Round 3 deadline Wednesday August 17th  
    Round 4 deadline Sunday August 28th
    Round 5 deadline Wednesday September 7th

Round 6 deadline
    Sunday September 18th

After each deadline, we will randomly assign two submitted parks by opposing teams to a match. Submissions that cannot be assigned to a match, for example when the number of submissions is uneven, will be held on to for the next round. In each match, the winner will be decided through a poll, as is customary. There are no restrictions as to how many parks you can submit as a player, as well as when you should do this. This indeed means you do not have to participate in every round, and that you can submit more parks than there are rounds. You can even choose to not build at all, although that would be horribly disappointing.

After the last Round, we will calculate the number of wins for each team, with the % score used as a tie breaker. The best performing team will be crowned H2H9/3 champions! Very unimportant, but still a nice bonus! Wow!

The Aegean by natelox (2004)
    Sea World Brisbane by Steve (2005)
    Alice in Wonderland by JKay and Emergo (2006)
    Arch Angel by Titan (2005)

Rules

Unlike H2H8/8, H2H Classic is a dual game contest. However, we will be enforcing that both games are indeed used. From each team, 40% of all submitted parks must be built in LL.

1. At least 40% 30% of all submitted parks per team must be built in LL. This means that for one LL park, you can build two RCT2 parks. For two LL parks, you can build four RCT2 parks.

2. Parks can be no larger than 60x60.

3. Using 'modern' tools like LL's Codex and OpenRCT's Tile Inspector is not forbidden, but keep in mind the goal is to match the 2005 aesthetic. You don't want to be overdressed like this person.

4. No more than two three people can work on a park, just like in the old days. Repeat player combos are allowed.

5. Advertising is allowed, but don't spill all the beans! There's no fun if you can watch your opponent's park being built on a stream.

6. It is allowed to use content made before the announcement of this contest - this also means you can start building solo before the draft. Keep rule #5 in mind, though.

7. Don't be a dick.

City of Dreams (2004)
    Helios by Kevin (2004)
    The Masterpiece by X250 (2005)
    Candlelight Times by Evil WME (2003)

Teams

All the participants will be divided into several teams of possibly varying size. How many teams there will be depends on how many people sign up for H2H Classic. You can sign up as either a captain or a player (see next post). A captain's responsibility is forming the team during a draft, making sure everyone ends up on a team they're happy with, and determining the team name and logo; after the teams have been formed, the captain's role is only ceremonial. A player just plays. In case there aren't enough captains, some player will have to step up for this enormous task. The teams are responsible for their own communication, there will be no team forums or other infrastructure supplied by us.

The captains will be determined on Friday July 15th, and shortly after a draft will be held. Some rules regarding signing up and team formation:

1. Everyone who signs up before the draft is guaranteed a spot on one of the teams.

2. It is possible to sign up as a duo, if you insist on playing together with your bff. A captain picking a duo forfeits his pick in the next round of the draft.

3. Players signed up after the draft can still join, and we will try to find them a home on any of the existing teams.

4. You can also submit a park without being on a team. Parks submitted by registered teams will get priority, however.

Getting started with LL

A lot of you are new to LL. Welcome. Please do share your problems with getting the game to work correctly, there won't be a better time for LL help than right now. To start building, you can take either of these two benches, depending on if you want peeps in your park or not:

H2H8/8 Bench (Peepable)
    H2H8/8 Bench (Peepless)

Getting started with 2005-era RCT2

Again, if you are a bit newer to the community, it may be hard to grasp what RCT was like in 2005. Consider using the following benches as a base:

Pro Tour Bench

Pro Tour 2 Bench

Alex's Classic Bench

For stylistic research, in addition to the parks displayed above, consider looking at the following parks:

Isole Calabria The Lesheban Wilderness Urchin
    Islands of Enchantment Arch Angel Euphoria City
    Clfifs of Utopia Rift Valley The Masterpiece
    Disastrous Paradise Sierra Glen Ghost Cell Crisis
    Musette Götheburg Venetia Harbour
    Eternal Springs City Universal's Cayman Islands of Adventure Ports of Magia
    The Time Machine Kurakku Thrillmatic
    Calatravas Chamonix Voodoo Loas
    Rocky Mountain Mystique The Faraway Tree At Versicoloured Valleys
    Dental Valley Sea World Brisbane Tierre Mortica
    Gouvia Point Fright Nights Aviara Cove

Please note that any details regarding the rules, the timeline and the format can be changed by the admin team at any point, to ensure a smooth contest.

The openness and loose nature of the contest is one of it's defining properties, but there may be some confusion about what can and can't be done here. Ask questions!

• Liampie%s's Photo

Retracing our collective footsteps

Sign-ups

Sign up for Head-2-Head Classic by leaving a comment below. Please state what games you are able to play in.

Players   Captains
    #1 Liampie   #1 Scoop
    #2 Cocoa   #2 wheres_walto  
    #3 ottersalad     #4 Xtreme97
    #4 dr dirt     #5 RWE
    #5 ][ntamin22     #6 Camcorder22  
    #6 Ethan          
    #7 Lilith            
    #8 RobDedede            
    #9 nin            
    #10 Splitvision            
    #11 MorganFan          
    #12 Terry Inferno          
    #13 Tolsimir            
    #14 WhosLeon            
    #15 Faas          
    #16 AvanineCommuter            
    #17 bigshootergill          
    #18 Milo          
    #19 Jaguar          
    #20 CoasterCreator9          
    #21 SSSammy          
    #22 AJ-            
    #23 disneylandian192            
    #24 Ulvenwood            
    #25 Recurious            
    #26 Kumba            
    #27 Levis            
    #28 Magnus            
    #29 Ride6          
    #30 Austin55            
    #31 Jappy          
    #32 Zarathustra            
    #33 Fisch / In:Cities            
    #35 Mrs_Walto            
    #36 Gustav Goblin          
    #37 G Force          
    #38 Iretont            
    #39 Mulpje            
    #40 Babar Tapie            
    #41 CHE            
    #42 chorkiel          
    #43 Steve            
    #44 Lurker          
    #45 robbie92          
    #46 Microwave            
    #47 J K            
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Ill sign up as a player, if there isn't enough Captain interest i could do that but preferably want to just enjoy
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Ill sign up as a player, if there isn't enough Captain interest i could do that but preferably want to just enjoy

Games?

• Scoop%s's Photo

sign me up as captain!

• Gustav Goblin%s's Photo

Sign me tf up. RCT2/LL. Assuming captaining isn't much outside of drafting players and naming your team, sign me up for captain as well.

Nuclear idea machine. Big ideas over everything else. Can tackle any style but prefers fantasy. Two-time building challenge winner. Second place in NECF2 on RWE's beautiful German shoulders. Became the final two H2H9 teams' MVP without doing anything. Guaranteed Energizer Bunny-level energy and positivty directly to your team. Pro Tour style ensures I can make up for my horrendous pace. Can NCSO it up when the time comes. Get yourself a goblin on your team and you won't regret it.

EDIT- Heads up to anyone I draft; I am starting a RCT2 park in advance which I will most likely want to collaborate on. Once I draft a team I'll announce it in our team Discord.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    You know my games bby
  • ottersalad%s's Photo

I'm in. RCT2 only

• dr dirt%s's Photo

I'm in for player; RCT2

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Player, LL

• Ethan%s's Photo
    Player, RCT2
  • Lilith%s's Photo
    player ll
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    I'll try out as a captain, RCT2 only for me but love the structured emphasis on LL
  • RobDedede%s's Photo

Sign me up as a player! RCT2 only for now, but I would be willing to try and learn/set up LL

EDIT: I will be out of town until the 20th of July, so I will not be able to start working on any parks until then. If you draft me, I'll probably be most helpful around rounds 2 to 4!

• AJ-%s's Photo

player - rct 2

• nin%s's Photo

Throw me into the mix. Player, RCT2.

• Splitvision%s's Photo

In! Player, RCT2.

• MorganFan%s's Photo

I wanna do this! Both LL and RCT2

• Terry Inferno%s's Photo
    LL and RCT2 (player)
  • Tolsimir%s's Photo

Player, RCT2