Ask the Experts / School Me on Paths and Paving

• AntonStengel%s's Photo
    Hi all,

I’m making decent progress on my current project and hope to eventually finish a park that’s up to this website’s standards.

One thing I’m struggling with conceptually - what are the best practices for building paths while utilizing custom textures and angles?

I’m planning to use a lot of curved and diagonal paths, as wells as non-vanilla path textures. From analyzing other parks, I think the process goes like this:

1. Build pathways using generic path system that peeps can use.
    2. Lower ground by 1 tile.
    3. Use tile inspector to hide original paths.
    4. Replace original paths with custom path textures.

Is this correct? If so, my main questions:

1. With the real paths invisible, is there a way to track or see where the real pathways are? It seems like this could quickly become a nightmare if any edits to the path system is needed.
    2. At what point in the building process do you usually replace the paths? This question mostly gets back to my previous concern.
    3. I’ve never built paths wider than two tiles. Any tips to keep guests from getting lost, struck, or otherwise wandering around completely aimlessly?

Any tips you could share would be appreciated! Huge thanks!
  • roygbiv%s's Photo

yeah start with a normal path, usually single width. Lower area put custom path block. 

Use invisible path object instead (when placing these enable see height marks on path) 

The finished pathing should be the last thing you do but you should have a basic pathing outline to start with.

Guest should never get lost or stuck unless your path connections are wrong. Just delete all the path in the area with the clear tool and try again.

• AntonStengel%s's Photo

yeah start with a normal path, usually single width. Lower area put custom path block. 

Use invisible path object instead (when placing these enable see height marks on path) 

The finished pathing should be the last thing you do but you should have a basic pathing outline to start with.

Guest should never get lost or stuck unless your path connections are wrong. Just delete all the path in the area with the clear tool and try again.

Ah, very clever, thank you.

I've still got a ways to go before I'm ready for the last step of my park, but I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading