The Grand Tour '23 / The Grand Tour '23 - General Topic

• Liampie%s's Photo

Welcome to the second edition of the epic circumnavigation of the planet called the Grand Tour - three years after our eventful first successful attempt. The journey will take us on a thrilling adventure as we explore the different landscapes and cultures the world has to offer. Some of them excitingly familiar, and some of them intriguingly obscure and remote. And with each environment we come across, there will be a new challenge for you…

What is a Grand Tour?

A Grand Tour originally refers to an extended journey through continental Europe, for educational purposes. These journeys were undertaken by wealthy young men as a rite of passage, who visited many historical and cultural sites along the way, seeking to expand their knowledge and appreciation of the classical arts.

Though there is no more need for the aristocracy to elevate themselves above the common people, the desire and effort to broaden one's horizons remains a noble purpose.

Contest format

The Grand Tour will again consist of six rounds, held in succession, with each lasting typically a month. You do not have to build in every round - in fact, you can consider each round a stand-alone mini contest. Every round will represent a stop along our Grand Tour, meaning you will have to build a small map themed to a location or region, with some additional objectives as well.

When the deadline has passed, all entries will be judged on how well the objectives are met, as well as the overall quality, by a public poll. The winners of each round will qualify for the Grand Final - the exclusive last stop of the trip.

Rules

1 Unless specified otherwise, your creation must be between 2000 and 5000 tiles
    2 You may use any scenery objects you want. Using scenery from the expansions, or LL land textures as enabled by OpenRCT is allowed, but discouraged due to it appearing differently for different people. Use at your own risk. Click here to see the collection of workbenches in our database.
    3 Your creation must be adhere to the objectives as specified in the rules for the round you participate in. It is at the staff's discretion to reject an entry if your submission is deemed to be not in the spirit of the contest.
    4 You are allowed to advertise your work and ask for feedback.
    5 You may build alone or in duos.
    6 If you play and qualify for the championship as a duo, you will have to participate in the Final as the same duo.
    7 If you qualify for the championship with a solo entry, you are allowed to invite another player to build the championship map as a duo.
    8 If you qualified as a duo, but one half of the duo is unavailable or unwilling to build at this time, rule 7 applies.
    9 There is no lower or upper limit on in how many rounds you can enter. If you win a round after you’ve already qualified for the championship in an earlier round, the runner-up will qualify instead.
    10 To allow everyone the same amount of time to build, recycling previously built material is not allowed, unless it's something as small as a partial layout, some loose building techniques or just half baked ideas. It's impossible to draw a hard line here, the point is to be reasonable.

Schedule

Start Deadline Round   Theme Winner
    May 21th June 18th 1 USA hydroportal & FK+Coastermind
    June 19th July 16th 2 Belgium WhosLeon & Xtreme97
    July 17th August 13th 3 Ethiopia Liampie & Turtle
    August 14th September 13th 4 Thailand FK+Coastermind & J K
    September 14th October 11th 5 Turkey RWE & Scoop
    October 12th November 8th 6 Peru Xtreme97 (Lurker 2nd)
    November 16th December 20th Final Ring of Fire  
  • Liampie%s's Photo

I'm super excited for this, both as a player and as a spectator. Hoping to play in a round or two and hopefully qualify for the final. But we'll see what happens, last time I had to restrain myself to not play in every single round...

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo
    I didn’t realize at first but the final deadline is my birthday; so I’m hoping for a ton of great parks that day
  • MK98%s's Photo

Nice! The first edition of this contest was super fun. I don't have a lot of time to build untill the end of june, but if anyone needs some small helping hands, then hit me up!

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

Just wanted to say that the logo is absolutely great.

• In:Cities%s's Photo

thanks big guy, was a lot of fun to make

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading