Ask the Experts / RCT on Windows 7?

• Gwazi%s's Photo
    I just got a new laptop because (1) my old one broke and (2) I'm going to college in less than two months.

I am interested in dabbling in the RCT scenarios again (both LL and RCT2) but when I try to install them, they do not work properly. The install works just fine, but when I try to load the game the screen either goes black (RCT2) or goes black and white and is really fuzzy (RCTLL).

I'm assuming this is a result of the fact that my new laptop runs Windows 7, or something along those lines (computer too high-tech for old game). Both games work well on an older computer. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it (if that is even possible)?

Thanks guys
  • RCTMASTA%s's Photo
    The only thing I can suggest is, use a virtual machine.

Also, try turning visual themes off.

If you own an older computer, you could just use it for RCT :idea:

The problem, to answer your question, is software and computer manufacturers phasing out the old (by making it unusable) and bringing in the new. All a very elaborate plan to get money. Then again, what is America founded on?
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    Don't have an older computer, so that's ruled out.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    Tried running in compatibility mode for XP and Windows 98. Also tried turning visual themes off. Both ended in the same result: the loading screen in black/white stripes that are blurred/blended. When I take a PrtSc the picture shows up in straight black.

Ah shit I just realized I said I was running Vista, I meant Windows 7 sorry guys.
  • Bolliger & Mabillard%s's Photo
    I play LL and 2 on a 7 computer just fine. Probably because it ran Vista ago. Can't help you. :(
  • posix%s's Photo
    Both work fine one my win7 x64 system.

for ll, you should remember my guide: http://forums.nedesi...?showtopic=7396
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    I'm just trying to get either of the games to work, not necessarily for building parks. Thanks for the reminder though.

I can't figure out what's wrong, no matter what I get to the menu screen and it's like a static fuzz type black and white and I can't do anything but Alt+Tab and exit the program from the desktop.

EDIT: Also when I install the games my computer tells me the DirectX is compatible or whatever, so I don't think that's the issue.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    RCT2 will occasionally work for me on win7 however 8 cars was a no go. Would get an error trapper every time. Final solution for me was to dual boot my PC with XP and Win7. A bit of a pain in the ass to go between the two but it's the only solution I could find.
  • That Guy%s's Photo

A bit of a pain in the ass to go between the two

I hear ya
  • RMM%s's Photo
    uninstall rct, change the theme to 'windows classic' and restart. then try to install rct. worth a try.
  • Metropole%s's Photo
    I have windows 7 with no problems regarding LL and no problems starting up RCT2. I just fall victim to the annoying freezes with 2.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading