Ask the Experts / RCT2 and Windows 7

• nin%s's Photo
    Hey guys, this has probably been asked before (looked at a few topics but couldn't find anything exactly like this.), but has anyone had trouble with RCT2 and Windows 7..? I loaded the game onto my new PC and everything, but when I actually load the game to play the screen is just black. The sound/music plays, and I can click to exit (by assuming where the exit button is), but I simply can't see anything.

Is there a certain way I need to run/install this? I think I know of someone who simply made an .ISO and burnt himself a new copy of the game, which worked, but I'm not sure if that would apply to me. Thanks for anything!
  • Levis%s's Photo
    best way? just use a VM
    else make sure:
    - you run rct2 in XP SP2 mode
    - Disable UAC
    - Disable desktop composition for rct2
    - Disable visual themes for rct2
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    I have trouble with it all the time. My computer completely freezes up and I can't alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete either.
  • Prophet%s's Photo
    @ Levis: So if i use VMWare (just a example) the 8cars tools will work as they should? Because i read somewhere that the chainlift 'hack' isnt working on W7...
  • Levis%s's Photo
    you use your 8cars also in your vm and you install XP on the vm then all works.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    A virtual machine is basically a virtual computer, simulated completely by your real, physical computer. If you install XP on it, you've got yourself a complete XP computer, just minus the hardware under your table.
  • Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo
    I running RCT2 on Windows 7. I have not yet played it much on 7, so I have really had no problems. But I am curious about how you would go about setting up a VM, could you post the steps please. Also, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (32) on this HD and 64-bit on my other hd.
  • Prophet%s's Photo
    Thanks, although i already knew what a VM was, i use it for my study ;)
    Wasn't sure if all the problems with W7 would be fixed but if you guys say it is then ill make a new VM for RCT tomorrow.
  • Flap%s's Photo
    Best way is Always run it as Administrator and on a 32Bit version of Windows 7.
    Otherwise a VM is the best option.
  • verti%s's Photo

I running RCT2 on Windows 7. I have not yet played it much on 7, so I have really had no problems. But I am curious about how you would go about setting up a VM, could you post the steps please. Also, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (32) on this HD and 64-bit on my other hd.

With VMWare, it's pretty simple: Install VMWare, click 'New Virtual Machine', select 'Install OS from CD/ISO', and then hit 'okay'. It's pretty much that simple.

Rightclick+drag is hypersensitive for some reason though, annoying as hell.
  • EXeL}ErAT0R%s's Photo
    Mine works just fine.
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    That helps so much.

And yeah. the vm is probably the only way you can run rct2 and trainers safely
  • Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo
    Thanks verti, sounds pretty much no different than using an iso mounter.
  • Flap%s's Photo
    I Get mine worked when i set this settings:

-always run as administrator
    -Custom installation (Not on the C:/program Files/Infrogames/Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 Folder.)

For the Trainers:
    -Run as Administrator
    -AND ONLY RUN ON A 32 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM.

That is how i get my RCT-2 Worked probarly on windows 7.
    If you want to run 64 bit OS, You should use a Virtual Machine or Run the Program in XPmode for Windows 7 (Which is actually also a Virtual Machine, But you know Bill Gates...)
  • Dimi%s's Photo

Rightclick+drag is hypersensitive for some reason though, annoying as hell.

I have the same problem. I use a Windows XP virtual pc (created with Virtual Box) on my Windows 7 laptop. RCT2 and 8 cars work fine, but the right mouse button acts very weird. Not only is dragging hypersensitive (I move from the one side of the map to the other one by just moving the mouse a tiny bit), the right mouse button also acts like I hold it when I just clicked it once. It remains 'holded' until I click a second time. This makes hovering over the map and deleting objects practically impossible. When not in RCT2 I don't have any mouse problems. Does anyone know a solution?
  • Kenneth%s's Photo
    Try disabling "Mouse integration"/"Muisintegratie". It's the little icon of a mouse with an arrow in the bottom right of the Virtualbox-window (in the Mac-version of virtualbox, I'm not sure about the Windows-version). I used to have the same problem and that fixed it for me.
  • Dimi%s's Photo
    Thanks a lot Kenneth, it works! The mouse still acts a bit uncomfortable, but at least the game is playable again.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading