Theme Park Discussion / The Official "What's Your Favorite Coaster" Thread

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    It sucks to

a. not afford not to go to parks
    b. not having a good home park

sadly I've only been to WDW, so I really couldn't do a list like this.
  • Leonnas%s's Photo
    Steel: Furius Baco - Port Aventura(es), what a powerfull coaster

Wood: Loup Garou - Walibi Belgium, Smooth coaster with a lot of air-time
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Why don't we just create an entire Coaster Ranking List Thread? It seems like that would be better.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Steel: Maverick, CP
    Wood: Thunderbolt, K-Wood
  • Twitch%s's Photo
    Steel: Tatsu or X2
    Wood: Apocalypse
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    After this weekend it's definitely Skyrush from Hersheypark. Sitting on the outside seat is unlike anything I've experienced on a coaster before.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Posted Image

The wooden coasters, I don't really all remember that well, so the order is probs a bit skew-wiff, also the difference between the age of last ride in my top two may have something to do with it, I think I was like 9 or 10 when I last rode Grizzly, but I was 16 or 17 when I last rode Gwazi.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    Wood:
    1. El Toro @ Six Flags Great Adventure: That ride is friggin awesome- nearly vertical drop & insane airtime
    2. The Beast: Gotta love that helix. Unfortunately, SOB was not open when I went to Kings Island, so I can't speak for that one.
    3. Phoenix @ Knobels: haven't ridden it in a few years but definately a good coaster from what I remember
    4. Lightning Racer (Red) @ Hersheypark: very cool dueling experience
    5. Mean Streak @ Cedar Point: Laugh all you want, I thought it was a nice, albeit rough, ride

Steel:
    1. Millenium Force @ Cedar Point: just because it is...
    2. Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure: especially in the dark, it is a really good ride
    3. Volcano, the Blast Coaster @ Kings Dominion: what can beat flying upside-down out of the top of a volcano?
    4. Farenheit @ Hersheypark: very long wait when I rode it but worth it, one of the best coasters.
    5. Steel Force @ Dorney Park: very nice coaster, also very fun to climb the stairs to the top...

This list may be subject to change, as I am going to Hershey soon to ride Skyrush. Also, I have to mention that Stinger @ Dorney Park is very close to my heart, I was there opening day.
  • RCTMASTA%s's Photo
    Wood:
    Apocalypse.
    Absolutely incredible. It's fast, intense, and has lots of airtime and g-forces.
    Also, @Pacifi:

usually has a very minimal wait time

Aah...yeah, i'mma call 'bull shit' on that. All three times I've ridden it, I've had to wait at least an hour and a half beforehand.
    Steel:
    Toss-up between Scream!/Medusa and Viper.
    However, if I had to choose I suppose I'd go with Scream!, because of its large, swooping loops and incredible smoothness, in comparison to Viper's bone-shatteringly rough corkscrews.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    PS: I never go to Magic Mountain on weekends which might be why I usually don't wait. Last time I was at the park was on a Wednesday and I rode it 5 times in a row without getting off.
  • SoCalCoasters%s's Photo
    Steel: Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit. This coaster is absolutely beast. High G transitions, ejector airtime, insanely comfortable seats, ability to choose from over 100 different tracks to listen to, the lighting on the cars etc.

The triple threat (very last portion of the ride before final brake) has got to be the most awesome coaster element ever: three ridiculous ejector airtime pops. Heck, even the non-inverting loop had airtime!

Wooden: Ghostrider, hands down. While it has been neutered (the heavy trims before second half of the ride) it still runs like a bat outta hell, and still delivers insane rides (especially in the front row). The roughness may scare some away, but it's one hell of a ride.
  • Twitch%s's Photo

Aah...yeah, i'mma call 'bull shit' on that. All three times I've ridden it, I've had to wait at least an hour and a half beforehand.

Really? Whenever I rode it, I never had to wait longer than a half-hour. I've waited longer than that for Flight Deck at CGA.
  • trav%s's Photo
    Posted Image

#1 - Steel Dragon 2000; the feeling of speed on this is incredible, and the sheer terror of being 330ft high is just mindblowing. I love it to bits. It also has some decent airtime on the bunny hills at the end.

#2 - Fujiyama; this is just a wtf coaster when you look at it, but honestly it has by far the most airtime I've ever experienced on a coaster, it doesn't let up.

#3 - Jubilee Odyssey; I'd never really heard of this coaster before I saw it, but the first drop is incredible, it has relatively little headbanging for an SLC and it's just so intense.

#4 - Oblivion; I love the drop, nothing else to be said.

#5 - Dodonpa; the launch nearly took my head off, amazing.

Looking back on my top 10, I'd probably put Nemmy in there now somewhere, I've grown to love it whilst I used to hate it because it just made my head hurt.
    Nemesis does look incredible. Totally jealous of that invert.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Meh, Nemesis isn't really that special. It's an alright ride, but certainly not the best in the Park, I'd put both Air and Oblivion over it easily.
    If these plans for SW7 are true, I wouldn't doubt that it could become the park's gem.

Posted Image
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I'd agree that air is the best, but I do really like nemesis, love the interaction and the sunken feel of it. Oblivion is a fantastic rush, but it's just a drop. Very fun, but def not a favorite coaster of mine compared to longer tracks. I havnt been there since they put in Rita, so I can't speak to that.

FK
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    El Toro @ SFGAdv and Phoenix @Knoebles.

If I had to choose a steel coaster, I think I'm honestly going with Batman the Ride. Don't judge.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Yeah Oblivion is just a drop but I've never gotten bored of riding it. I couldn't go to the park without riding it, Nemesis however I could quite happily skip over and not feel like I've missed out on anything. It's just boring after you've ridden it a few times, well for me at least it is. All opinions of course :bunny:

If I had to choose a steel coaster, I think I'm honestly going with Batman the Ride. Don't judge.

I totally see where you're coming from man. I have ridden the bat quite a bit lately and I have to say it is awesome. I tend to get tunnel vision between the first loop and the zero g roll.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading