General Chat / NE's Great Residential Survey

Where do you live?

Do you consider your environment urban or rural? (subjective answer)

How many inhabitants does your village/town/city have?

How many inhabitants does the agglomeration/metropolitan area you live in have? (estimate)

How many times have you moved in your life?

What's the biggest distance you've moved?

How long do you have to travel to get from your bed to your school/university/work? (if more than one applies to you, pick the one farthest away from you that you commute to regularly from your home)

By what travel modes do you reach your destination as referred to in question 7? (pick all modes that you regularly use yourself that you consider relevant)

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Since this poll is anonymous, there's no point in lying or showing off with your helicopter and stuff. I'm curious where and how you live, so show me! Where does NE live? If you have any suggestions or questions regarding the poll, please be so kind to let me know here.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I'll set an example.

Where do you live? - Europe

Do you consider your environment urban or rural? - 'More urban than rural' - The town I live in has only 17,000 inhabitants, but functionally it's part of the Amsterdam metropolitan area (Optimally, Amsterdam central station is 20 minutes away from my front door). It's in no way a big city, but it functions as a part of a big urban system.

How many inhabitants does your village/town/city have? - 10,000-30,000; around 17,000. Will be around 22-25,000 in a few years, but it doesn't matter for the poll.

How many inhabitants does the agglomeration/metropolitan area you live in have? - 1,000,000-3,000,000; numbers vary depending on how you count it, but most interpretations of the Amsterdam metropolitan area will fall into this category.

How many times have you moved in your life? - Three times, all of them a long time ago.

What's the biggest distance you've moved? - 20 km.

How long do you have to travel to get from your bed to your school/university/work? - Like 40 minutes on average, even if the exact destination varies several kilometers. Gotta love the dense public transport network here.

By what travel modes do you reach your destination as referred to in question 7? - Always bike, always train, and the remaining distance always tram/metro or by foot. I consider that last one relevant because it may concern 15-20 minute walks.
  • A.S.Coasters%s's Photo
    I live in Mason Ohio, I used to live more northern Ohio but moved here around 6 years ago. My school isn't too far from my house so I ride the bus there and sometimes (rarely) walk there.

Edit: I'll add in Liampie's format in just a bit, didn't see it.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    North America

Definitely rural-ish

~65,000 in Yorba Linda, CA

~90,000 in Gallatin County, MT, although only about half of that is concentrated in my city

Four houses, dorm, and apartment, so five total moves

About 2000 miles (Las Vegas, NV to Bozeman, MT)

5~10 minutes daily

Car
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    ^You lived in Bozeman? I'd really like to visit.

North America

Suburban

45,000 (Mansfield TX)

6,526,548 for the Metroplex (And growing)

two house move, under 6 miles.

about 35 minutes via car. Hopefully college will change that, then after college I'd like to move into the city and answer by bike.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    North America

Definitely Urban

Millions in Los Angeles, California (actual suburb West Covina, only 105,000)

Millions in New York, New York (Upper West Side)

6 Times - from Ohio to Taipei, Taipei to Monterey Park, Monterey Park to Hacienda Heights, Hacienda Heights to West Covina, West Covina to Providence, Providence to New York.

3000+ miles (To and from Taipei)

15 minutes commute by subway, I walk 3 blocks and take the subway for two stops, then walk another block
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Europe

Definitely Urban

100,000+ in Mansfield (UK not TX :p )

1,000,000+ in Nottinghamshire

2 - Brighton to Brighton, Brighton to Mansfield.

200 Miles from Brighton to Mansfield (on my own)

Currently not working/studying but the last job was 10min by car. But the journey I do most now is 200 miles to Brighton to see my parents.
  • Corkscrewy%s's Photo
    North America

Rural

About 900. Yeah. Ima small town kid.

Now I live in Fargo, ND (pretty sure I'm the only person in this whole state that plays rct. Haha)

3 houses, 3 apartments, and a dorm room. Even tho all of those but 1 were all in this area.

Its about 3 hours from my hometown to here

10-15 minutes.

Def my hot car.

_Josh
  • trav%s's Photo

Do you consider your environment urban or rural? - Definitely suburban.

How many inhabitants does your village/town/city have? - I come from West Yorkshire, which is the most populated area in the UK outside of London, with around 6.5million people there.

How many inhabitants does the agglomeration/metropolitan area you live in have? - Weirdly, I now live in a town that doesn't really belong to any metropolitan area, it's on it's own in the middle of nowhere and there are only 65k people here, so a big step down.

How many times have you moved in your life? - 11+. Last count it was like 14 or something like that.

What's the biggest distance you've moved? - Around 250 miles.

How long do you have to travel to get from your bed to your school/university/work? - It takes me 20 minutes to walk to uni, but it takes me 2 hours to get to work.

By what travel modes do you reach your destination as referred to in question 7? - A mixture of walking and trains.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I didn't realise that hometown isn't synonym to 'place where your home is'. Changed it in the poll. Thanks, Avanine! I started to wonder when you mentioned both LA and New York. :p Only 17 potentially wrong votes. No big deal.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    United states, North America
    Morgan City, Louisiana
    Rural(ish) area
    About 10,000 people and about 25,000 in around
    Travels by car, less than 10mi daily
    Moved 3 times, less than 10mi apart
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

I didn't realise that hometown isn't synonym to 'place where your home is'. Changed it in the poll. Thanks, Avanine! I started to wonder when you mentioned both LA and New York. :p Only 17 potentially wrong votes. No big deal.

Haha you're welcome I guess? Is there a way to go back and correct poll votes?
  • Ling%s's Photo

^You lived in Bozeman? I'd really like to visit.

Still do, and probably will for a few more years.
  • Casimir%s's Photo

Do you consider your environment urban or rural? - Suburban. Belongs to the urban area Stadtregion Frankfurt.

How many inhabitants does your village/town/city have? - 10,000-30,000; ~25.000

How many inhabitants does the agglomeration/metropolitan area you live in have? - 1,000,000-3,000,000; around 2.3 Million according to Wikipedia.

How many times have you moved in your life? - 0 times

What's the biggest distance you've moved? - When I'm gonna move next year, it will be within less than 10km.

How long do you have to travel to get from your bed to your school/university/work? - Around 60 - 80 minutes. Could be way better, but the public transportation just outside Frankfurt city limits is more than laughable.

By what travel modes do you reach your destination as referred to in question 7? - Car -> Train Station -> Train -> Main Train Station -> Metro -> Walking (-> Bus between campuses)
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    Where do you live? North America

Do you consider your environment urban or rural? More rural than urban.

How many inhabitants does your village/town/city have? I honestly have no idea, but it's small so I said between 1,000 and 10,000

How many inhabitants does your agglomeration/metropolitan area have? Again, I have no idea. This county is fairly big and growing so I said 100,000-300,000

How many times have you moved in your life? Once, because the house across the street was a crack house, not even kidding.

What's the greatest distance you've moved? Around 45 miles.

How long does it take to get to your school? About 45 mins by bus, but If I'm driven then about 20 mins.

By what modes of transportation do you use to reach your destination mentioned in Question 7? Bus, but if I oversleep my mom drives me. (Don't laugh, I don't have my license and parking permits are $50 per semester.)
  • Corkscrewy%s's Photo
    I actually get out to Bozeman every so often Ling. I actually rather like that city.

-Josh
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    What we need is like a map where we can all post where we live.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

What we need is like a map where we can all post where we live.

I'll save that for the next survey! Which is soon.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    I figured you would be working on something similar. Fun stuff.
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I did mine for where i currently am, which is college (University of Illinois). The numbers would get bigger if i were in my home town. My college town has less than 100,000 residents between two cities, the city i went to high school in has about 150,000.

I am also pretty happy to say i walk almost everywhere. i don't like the buses on campus (though they are convenient) and it would be impractical to drive, so i walk everywhere, which as an Urban Planning Major, is important.

FK

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading