Related Games / Theme Park Studio

• Mattk48%s's Photo
    Have a little faith, something's look incredibly different in previews then they actually are. I am going to wait until its out and people have reviewed it before I consider buying it. Still to early to judge :mantis:/>
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    Well for my own personal taste. Its not to early to judge. I just dont like the look of it and have seen at least 10 videos of it. Sure its to early to judge if its a good game. Yes it is a themepark/rollercoaster game which is good obviously there isnt enough about nowadays. But from what i've seen just doesnt grab me. Just like other games/movies.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    Its a shame NE is going to be pushing this out of the way (from what I have gathered in this topic) based on a few videos before it even comes out. Oh well, it was fun here while it lasted. Guess its time to move on to other things.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Of course it's gonna be pushed away. It's nowhere near oldschool enough.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Sure its cool that you can make custom rides. But i would much rather just being able to place them. Looking at the way it was created im not a fan. Maybe im lazy but if the people that make this game are able to make custom rides like that, Im thinking why not have it as a ride that comes with the game rather than making it that you need to build it yourself... Yes the hardcore among us will build and build. But to someone who isnt like that they are basically cutting them off.

Obviously i dont know if they have a default ride that you can just place but if not then thats a shame. It does look pretty good, The thing about rct is the basic level of play that draws so many players to it. This on the other hand is focussed more on the hardcore player, It isnt a bad thing for the more hardcore players but is for people just picking the game up... No doubt they have default rides you can just place im pretty sure they are not that stupid. Basically isolating the game to a select few. Will i buy it.... No.

We are the hardcore. Who cares what everyone else does with the game?

Its a shame NE is going to be pushing this out of the way (from what I have gathered in this topic) based on a few videos before it even comes out. Oh well, it was fun here while it lasted. Guess its time to move on to other things.

The videos up until these last two were pretty uninspiring. People were therefore uninspired. Slow down on the hyperbole and let people warm up to the idea of stepping outside of their comfort zone.

NE would benefit greatly from a good, new game to bring new members into the community. Another mediocre one? No. Fuck that.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo
    MA, I don't think this game will appeal to the NE crowd, as the focus here on NE is not really the customization of the game. No new scenery or rides are created anymore by the people that still play rct2. The strength of Themepark Studio, how I see it atm, is the customization of the game; they really looked at rct3 and why it's still so popular and successful (altho no-one here plays it anymore). Where it was a pretty tedious job to create rct3 scenery and rides it will be very convenient to create new content (CSO, CFR, CTR) for Themepark Studio as it will basically be done in-game. You don't need blender or sketch-up anymore to design it and an importer to import it.

I agree it looks a bit stale atm, but I had that feeling too when the first screens of rct3 came out, and even with rct2. I remember I thought back in the day that rct2 was going to look exactly like rct1 (which it kinda does :p ) and therefore would be a bad game. Well, the opposite was true and I'm still playing it now 11 years later. We saw it with rct2 and rct3; We (the players) are what makes the games look so different with custom content. That's why I think Themepark Studio will become what we all wanted for so long and wanted rct3 to be.

The only thing I hope will be improved upon with regards to rct3, is the use of multiple cores and (as a result) reduction in loading times/lag.
  • Angroc%s's Photo
    Yeah, agree with Ruben and Scotlands finest: the look of it is kind of sterile and without soul. I have ahrd time putting my finger on it, but it appears to be very bland looking. All soft bevels and soft textures. And the background and the skybox are incredible lackluster. They should really get some sort of art director on the team. It's nice that you can import your own stuff, but don't rely on new players to do that! I am personally one of those people who'd rather work with a good workbench that import my own stuff.

Another gripe I have with the videos I have seen so far is the user experience. Right now, judging from the few videos I've seen, it appears more to look like a 3D package like zBrush or Modo or Maya than a *game*, and seeing the interface just reminds me of work too much. And I get that to some people this is ideal, cause this game promises a lot customisablity, but to make a game I'd wager all of that stuff will turn people off (not you guys of course, but other gamers in general). Number one importance will be fast building without too much fussing in menus and bezier curves and what have yous.

I guess one last thing to mention is that a big charm for RCT (IMHO), is that you have to use objects to create other objects. Even for RCT2 this is true, since there's a total item limit, so you gotta make your buildings out of smaller pieces.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Six Frags:

I think the reason for a lack of new objects simply is that we basically have all that we need. Now and then, there's still the new rounded glass object that someone makes or the customizable christmas presents ( =D ). But we've got it pretty much covered by now.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo
    Casimir, that's not really what I meant. Active object creators create new sets/rides from scratch using 3D software and give them an entirely new texture. Think of the likes of Amazing Earl, Fisherman and Toon. They shaped the way we use rct2 now and many object creators used their objects/textures to create 'new' scenery.
    If you compare rct2 with rct3, rct3 has a very active custom content creating community, while the game is also 9 years old (rct2 is only 2 years older).

I agree though, that rct2 has evolved and still is evolving into a very complete game.
    There are still certain coaster types and flatrides missing and I would love to see more texture choices, but I'm affraid they will never be invented anymore as there are no people interested in investing their time into that nor have the knowledge to be able to create it. And that was kind of what I was trying to say :p
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Yeah, agree with Ruben and Scotlands finest: the look of it is kind of sterile and without soul. I have ahrd time putting my finger on it, but it appears to be very bland looking. All soft bevels and soft textures. And the background and the skybox are incredible lackluster. They should really get some sort of art director on the team. It's nice that you can import your own stuff, but don't rely on new players to do that! I am personally one of those people who'd rather work with a good workbench that import my own stuff.

Another gripe I have with the videos I have seen so far is the user experience. Right now, judging from the few videos I've seen, it appears more to look like a 3D package like zBrush or Modo or Maya than a *game*, and seeing the interface just reminds me of work too much. And I get that to some people this is ideal, cause this game promises a lot customisablity, but to make a game I'd wager all of that stuff will turn people off (not you guys of course, but other gamers in general). Number one importance will be fast building without too much fussing in menus and bezier curves and what have yous.

I guess one last thing to mention is that a big charm for RCT (IMHO), is that you have to use objects to create other objects. Even for RCT2 this is true, since there's a total item limit, so you gotta make your buildings out of smaller pieces.

Again, we are the hardcore coaster designers. The game, the scenarios, they got us interested in the game, but the products we idealize are very far from their roots. If the game is good, you'll see a lot of the people here starting to use it as a design tool. Like RCTNW. If it's not good, our membership will slowly dwindle down over the years anyway, so whatever.
  • Mattk48%s's Photo

If it's not good, our membership will slowly dwindle down over the years anyway, so whatever.

Posted Image
  • Magnus Polyspaston%s's Photo
    I have hopes for this game.

It looks like the developers are actually thinking about what people want from a theme park based game rather than the usual shite that has been banded about since RCT2.

What made RCT so good was that it was developed by a guy with an interest in roller coasters and engineering. The detail in the game is huge and the realism is there too. Everything since has been far too cartoony and aimed at children. RCT was a serious simulation game with playability. It had serious scenarios behind it that took time and effort to complete but also (with a few, ahem, tweeks) had lastability with flatlands and sandboxs. This looks like it could well be taking the same angle. If they do it right, it could be great. Do it wrong and it could just be another theme park sim to throw onto the pile. I just hope it has decent gameplay behind it too rather than just a theme park builder.

I'm liking the customisation but I'm not a big fan of the graphics and the world in general. Since when do theme parks have huge mountainous waterfalls? Stuff like that is what killed RCT3 for me. The graphics look too cartoony. Too fake.

I have my fingers crossed.
  • Maverick%s's Photo

Again, we are the hardcore coaster designers. The game, the scenarios, they got us interested in the game, but the products we idealize are very far from their roots. If the game is good, you'll see a lot of the people here starting to use it as a design tool. Like RCTNW. If it's not good, our membership will slowly dwindle down over the years anyway, so whatever.

Age of Empires II has been around about the same duration as RCT2 and still has an ongoing community. They are re-releasing the game in HD on Steam in April. If RCT somehow managed to keep up the popularity, maybe the community will survive. Wouldn't it be something if a form of "multiplayer" became possible? You could "visit" or even "co-op build" with someone in real-time? The newer systems and modern networking abilities could make that possible...
  • Magnus Polyspaston%s's Photo
    RCT and RCT2 arent as popular anymore as they were superseeded by RCT3. Whether better or not, new people coming to the game will automatically go for RCT3 as its the latest game. RCT3 still has a very large community.

Wern't Atari supposed to be releasing RCT1 on Ios? If they did and it wasn't stripped down, it could bring some new blood to the game. The Ios version would be limited and unmoddable but anyone enjoying it can easily pick up a full PC version for £5 on ebay.
  • Maverick%s's Photo

RCT and RCT2 arent as popular anymore as they were superseeded by RCT3. Whether better or not, new people coming to the game will automatically go for RCT3 as its the latest game. RCT3 still has a very large community.

Wern't Atari supposed to be releasing RCT1 on Ios? If they did and it wasn't stripped down, it could bring some new blood to the game. The Ios version would be limited and unmoddable but anyone enjoying it can easily pick up a full PC version for £5 on ebay.

iOS/tablet would be great for the game with the huge popularity those have gained recently.
  • Disney Imagineer%s's Photo

I completely agree with this. I don't even need to try to explain my feelings because he already wrote them all out.

Will this game have people? Because I hate theme park games where I build a park and have it all to myself. Its pretty lame. I would want people on my rides, screaming and having a good time - not a vacant, lonely park. I'm also one of those people who wouldn't want to have to construct each ride. I would much rather have them to just plop down, then build around them to create an environment/atmosphere. Although the flat ride models are very nice.

The graphics are pretty, but like Angroc stated (and its hard to pinpoint the exact issue) is this game feels like it doesn't have a soul. Perfectly stated.
  • RRP%s's Photo
    I think it looks great imo so far.Full customisation with the ability to save templates,prefabs and import/export.Whats not to like?
    As long as it doesn't run like crap ill be giving it a whirl.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    http://www.kickstart...mate-theme-park

Pantera has created a Kickstarter. I was thinking of donating a little. Definitely some interesting prizes ($5,000 gets you to Disneyland!) and it seems like they're really setting out to make a pretty revolutionary game, here. They're already at about $16,000 for their $80,000 goal so lets give them a hand, since this is looking like everything we wanted RCT3 to be.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Why TPS when you can RCT?
  • Steve%s's Photo

Why TPS when you can RCT?

TPS?

Posted Image

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading