RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• Recurious%s's Photo
    The scenery picker tool is very useful indeed, the only complaint I have is that it covers the bottom colour option if you are trying to colour an object that has 3 colours, making it very hard to change this colour. So maybe change the placement a little bit?
  • Nubbie%s's Photo

@Recurious

It has been reported on GitHub and will be fixed - https://github.com/O...CT2/issues/5338

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo
    10 minutes ago, this has been merged:

Six-Flags-Holland-2017-04-10-20-33-43.pn

OpenRCT2 will now draw actual boosters on Giga Coasters, Steel Twisters and Vertical Drop Coasters.
  • nicman%s's Photo

Those boosters don't look that great especially on the twister. They look like there just sitting on top of the coaster and not attached like in real life:

https://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

• Nubbie%s's Photo

Better than nothing and can be imporved

• Steve%s's Photo
    Wow, excellent! These are actually available in RCT Classic! Is that where this came from for Open?
  • CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

Wow, excellent! These are actually available in RCT Classic! Is that where this came from for Open?

I believe YoloSwegLord made these sprites. 

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Probably - the boosters were implemented very soon after RCT Classic was released, and use the same track piece ID.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

They were indeed made by YoloSweggLord.

Implementing boosters was planned anyway as they're an RCT1 feature, but we initially planned to do so after we moved away from SV6. But since RCTC had them and exports to SV6, we implemented them right away. Do note that we still need to fix the acceleration of some types (the Looping and Steel Corkscrew RC are fine).

• Xeccah%s's Photo

Wait, the guy who shitposts more than I do in the discord channel contributed to the community in a positive way? Holy shit. Miracles do happen.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

They were indeed made by me, but I'll admit they can be improved, especially the B&M ones. If you want @nicman the .png files are on github, you can download them and try redoing them yourself to see if you can get a better result.

• nicman%s's Photo

edit: update soon...

• nicman%s's Photo

OK, after some work I finished editing theses:

Attached Image: hack park 2017-04-17 19-46-24.png

Attached Image: 84.png

]Attached Image: 83.png

My modifications were I made the launch gills taller, and raised it up a bit, and made it look more "attached".

- nicman (xp4xbox)

• nicman%s's Photo

Here are my Giga sprites. They are referenced off Kinda Kas hydraulic launch. I chose hydraulic type because actual LIM sprites for giga track, use the flat style such as on Cheetah hunt that I am making (90% done) for the mini coaster booster sprites. I also chose to make the brake fins lowered such as they were when trains pass through because it makes more sense and looks better. 

Attached Image: hack park 2017-04-24 18-20-55.png

• Lagom%s's Photo

Looks really good, nic.

• GigaG%s's Photo

I'm excited to see what happens when OpenRCT2 diverges from SV6 compatibility. NE will probably have to make it a new game for submissions (in addition to RCTLL and RCT2) at that point.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I prefer your B&M sprites over the current ones, but I think the original Intamin sprites look much better than these. A hydraulic launch is a poor choice not just because you can't animate the catch car, but because it's not how the launch pieces behave. The train must come to a complete stop in order to engage the catch car, but the boosters can be entered at speed (like an LSM launch). Hydraulic launch sprites are going to look much worse when used in a situation where a hydraulic launch clearly would not work.

I'd love to see a hydraulic launch when there's a new file format but I think it should be implemented in a similar manner to the cable lift, rather than a booster piece that accelerates the train.

because actual LIM sprites for giga track, use the flat style such as on Cheetah hunt

You're making the sprites, there's no reason you have to make them triple rail track.

• nicman%s's Photo

I prefer your B&M sprites over the current ones, but I think the original Intamin sprites look much better than these. A hydraulic launch is a poor choice not just because you can't animate the catch car, but because it's not how the launch pieces behave. The train must come to a complete stop in order to engage the catch car, but the boosters can be entered at speed (like an LSM launch). Hydraulic launch sprites are going to look much worse when used in a situation where a hydraulic launch clearly would not work.

I'd love to see a hydraulic launch when there's a new file format but I think it should be implemented in a similar manner to the cable lift, rather than a booster piece that accelerates the train.

You're making the sprites, there's no reason you have to make them triple rail track.

They have to be, because the game wont draw supports when the piece is on 5ft tall ground.

I think the hydraulic ones look better than the originals, as they look like they are just sitting on top of the track, and if you wanted to switch them, you could just create a merge on the mini coaster track once the boosters are implemented. Besides most uses of the launch track are right at the beginning like real ones. Which is like hydraulic ones.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

They have to be, because the game wont draw supports when the piece is on 5ft tall ground.

Then change that? Every piece has its own drawing routine (which, I think, is needlessly redundant, but it does give you a lot of flexibility when you do want a specific piece to have special treatment).

Or you could leave it as triple rail - a hydraulic launch would have quad rail track anyway so if you want to be that accurate, it's still not correct.

Besides most uses of the launch track are right at the beginning like real ones. Which is like hydraulic ones.

You can put an LSM launch right out of the station but you can't put a hydraulic launch mid ride, and LSMs are far more common in general - Intamin is the only manufacturer that ever used hydraulic launches, but that track style is also used for Mack and Gerstlauer rides. In fact, it seems practically every manufacturer is now using LSMs on new installations. It makes more sense for the default case to be the most common (I'd like the ability to choose, but that requires a new save format).

I think an LSM sprite is appropriate also because an LSM functions exactly as the booster does and would work anywhere the booster can be used. If the booster was intended to function as a hydraulic launch, the train ought to come to a complete stop before launching, which it doesn't.

• nicman%s's Photo

Then change that? Every piece has its own drawing routine (which, I think, is needlessly redundant, but it does give you a lot of flexibility when you do want a specific piece to have special treatment).

it does not for me, when its at 0ft I mean, because normally the giga track would not have supports. But maybe once the offset is fixed they will show up

Or you could leave it as triple rail - a hydraulic launch would have quad rail track anyway so if you want to be that accurate, it's still not correct.

the quad rail doesn't look good when its combined with the regular triple rail one.

As I said, you could just create a merge onto the mini coaster for which ever version you want.

I might try and make the triple rail ones later this week, to see how they look though.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading