• JimmyLaessig
    • Lilith
    Percentage of vote: 6.67%
  8. Mako 2 votes [6.67%]
    • RCT2day
    • Jersey Jimmy
    Percentage of vote: 6.67%
  • Kumba%s's Photo

Here's how this works... download the map here.

Take your time viewing all the 30x30 NCSO areas.

VOTE OUT the entry you feel is the weakest.

Every day a new poll will be started until a map has one "Survivor" left on each map. Once each map has a survivor, the two will face off to see who wins the contest in a final vote for the winner.

The maker of each area will remain anonymous until it is voted out.

Good luck everyone! :mantis:

• G Force%s's Photo

Some great work here.  Good luck to all the builders!

• dr dirt%s's Photo

This is great stuff, especially considering only 3 days are allowed.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Yeah, I'm not lying when I say there are no real weak areas. Only some unfinishedness. For that reason it's pretty obvious which area has to go first... I think I know my pick for the second round too, but this is going to get hard really soon. I'll try to review the areas one by one as they get voted out. :)

Also I really like that I'm struggling to say who made each area, except for one. Only one.
  • Jersey Jimmy%s's Photo

Mako and Cuelebre both looked really unfinished to me, but I went with Mako in the end because I really liked the palace in the Cuelebre section. Mako was just standard realism, and while that's actually pretty much my RCT2 fetish, it just... left me unimpressed.

Also, what the hell, Laessig? Iron Fist was like the best section, you leave it alone. >:v

• Stoksy%s's Photo

I think I know what my eliminations will be, but some very close entries here. Shame about the unfinished ones, Cuelebre could have been really quite impressive if finished I think, lovely start to the hotel.

• alex%s's Photo

These are great. I have a pretty good hunch who built Hybrid, Black Mamba/Taipan, Mako & Dracula.. the rest I've no idea.

• Kumba%s's Photo

I assumed one or two people might make a mistake and cast a vote for the entry they think is the best. I think that's what happened with Iron Fist as it would be very hard to make a case for it being the weakest on the map.

Also, this aint H2H despite the anonymous entries. Feel free to post guesses as to who made what. I am the only one who knows. The builders could make decent guesses, but likely not get half a map right. Would be interesting to see how close someone can get.

I'll end this poll around 3-6 pm tomorrow. When I do, a screen will be posted of the area voted out with the name of the builder. That will be a good time for some feedback on it, but you are all welcome to post feedback now in any way you like.

In some ways the second map is a lot better, so brace yourselves for that in about a week! :kumbasgreen:

• AK Koaster%s's Photo

^^ I did this, sorry guys. What I get for not reading directions lol. All cool stuff

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Hey, guessing is fun...

Based on the sign-up list I'd say on this map: MCI (Dracula), RWE (Cuelebre), Maverix (Desperado), dr dirt (Mako), Scoop (Calamity Canyon), RCT2day (Hybrid), In:Cities (Iron Fist), alex (Black Mamba vs Taipan)

• Cocoa%s's Photo

reviewing as I go along (i now realize I'm going to have to eventually review my own park in order to stay secret, that should be funny)

calamity canyon:

nice layout, good color scheme. some good architecture and starts of work but the 'canyon' is just a blocky hill.

mako:

cute layout. some nice details like the underwater path, beginning of a boat (one of them just says "help", lol), some bits of shows/stadiums. also a bit unfinished and could have more atmosphere

iron fist:

damn this one is really really cool. incredibly inspired, so many awesome features and structures. I really love the rushing water, rockets, torpedos, and an otherwise standard arrow corkscrew really fits in well. great atmosphere, so much fun. I italicized the word inspired because this one really had what every other area lacked (myself included (unless this is my area (craaazy))), which was a clear, creative and fun idea executed perfectly. Everyone else sort of just chose a style and built, which is fine for 3 days of working but obviously will never be as impressive.

black mamba/taipan:

great dueling layouts, I really love the idea for different styles of coasters that duel (I guess they're usually the same type). I'm not entirely sold on the africa vs australia theme but there's some good clean, detailed work and it feels just like a nice area.

hybrid:

seems like you built a good nemesis-esque layout but then sort of didn't build the landscaping to match it, which is maybe a shame. otherwise it's a standard-but-decent mechanical theme, the one bit that stands out is the building with the ferris wheel through it which comes together pretty well.

dracula

a really nice taron-esque, sprawling layout, that fits in with some nice landscaping. I do sort of think you've gone the route of colors=theme (blasphemy from me, I know) and the architecture feels sort of crammed in but also 'pointless'. Could have really pushed the dracula theme more IMO

cuelebra

obviously unfinished. whats there is nice, decent layout and hotel start but maybe too ambitious, idk

desperado

I also liked this one a lot, some nice details and atmosphere and just fun-ness. There's nothing particularly new or crazy here but I just enjoyed it anyway.

I think there's probably a clear best one, and I have a pretty solid order in my head. Definitely excited for the next set though!

• Stoksy%s's Photo

^Damn, did not pick that you built on this map Cocoa. Guess I have to settle for 7/8 then haha

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I don't believe I implied anywhere that I built on this map :p

...or did I?

nah

...but maybe?

• Xeccah%s's Photo

1. Black Mamba v. Taipan
    (Alex)

2. Calamity Canyon
    (Maverix)

3. Iron Fist
    (In:Cities)

4. Desperado
    (Austin55)

5. Hybrid
    (Bigshootergill)

6. Dracula
    (MCI)

7. Mako
    (Scoop)

8. Cuelebre
    (RCT2day)

I also pred that cocoa, who I pred did not build on this map, wins on the other map.

• Ling%s's Photo

I think it's pretty obvious which entries have to go first. It'll be more fun to review the others as they're eliminated though, rather than doing everything in the first week and just waiting.

Cuelebre didn't really work on a lot of levels. It looked like the main thing that you wanted to build was the hotel, then remembered that you really ought to have a coaster on the plot and crammed in a flyer. The dive under the bridge is fine, but the width of the bridge made it too spread out at the top and then there's that weird little step down upon the exit of the pretzel loop that feels like a mistake that you didn't have time to fix. Then, looking at the shops and where the building plots are, it looked like you were just going to have two large buildings with a coaster sandwiched in mostly empty space between them. Finally the last half of the layout seemed (hopefully) unfinished. Three helices, all in the same direction, no more inversions or anything special, like all you thought out was the pretzel loop and couldn't decide what to do with the rest. To your credit, however, the hotel was very nice, and one of the better pieces of architecture on the map (NCSO architecture has always been a struggle for me).

• alex%s's Photo

In order of my favourites:

Hybrid
    Cocoa? I know the colours don't scream Cocoa but some of the dense theming like around the wheel building reminds me of his LL work. Love this area anyway, really fun, lively theming. Those supports are beautiful. This one had the best object use and didn't overuse trackitecture.

Black Mamba / Taipan:
    Kumba? Loved the layouts. Great idea to have duellers with a contrasting start - one having a holding brake/drop and the other a launch. Nice use of the rock wall, I don't think I've seen it used this well before, the bushes/hedges do a good job softening the edges. Overall high quality stuff though a little too dense for my tastes, could have done with a little breathing room in places.

Mako
    Stoksy? I like this one a lot. Very high quality, a little bland and under-themed in places but it's clean, well composed and the coaster is great. Love the underwater tunnels!!

Iron Fist
    In:Cities is probably a good guess? This is a really cool area, the waves are a great idea + execution. I think some of the missile silo structures were a bit messy in places, and everything felt a little flimsy - either made from trestles or thin walls. Would be good to see a few solid structures as contrast. That said it had a really exciting, adventury atmosphere.

Desperado
    Big Shooter Gill? At least the architecture seems his NCSO style. I liked this one quite a bit. Great landscaping and the waterfall was well placed. Solid layout too. Shouldn't it have been a dive machine?

Dracula
    Gotta be MCI! Great dark atmosphere, the dead flowers add a lot. The architecture is a bit repetitive in places with all the wood texture and 2x2 forms. The wooden walkway is really cool.

Calamity Canyon:

Some of the colours and track use reminded me of the western area in Kidron Park. This wasn't built by RCT2day however... the architecture was too messy and the trackitecture didn't have much sense behind it. The coaster was fun though, loved the launch and turn over the lake. I've no idea who made this. Scoop?

Cuelebre
    RCT2day? Clearly the builder ran out of time or motivation. Shame because the hotel exterior looks great. Coaster is cool too.

• Kumba%s's Photo
    Pred? Shogo now with unfinished words in addition to unfinished parks :p

Black Mamba vs. Taipan - Nice duel! It's not perfect, but sometimes it runs pretty well with a lot of the duel elements clashing. Very nice atmosphere, love the photo ops. The station for the coaster as kinda weak tho (but the other buildings were really good for NCSO) and I don't like the crawl Black Mamba does on the way to its boosters. Strong entry for sure. 7.9/10

Calamity Canyon - Was unsure of the coaster at first, but it became one of my favorites. The buildings along the edge were pretty good, just I didn't like them being totally unnamed, even with shops in them. No doubt the blocky landscape is ugly, but it was a nice try at something different. The tower was nice, but a little random. 6.4/10

Cuelebre - Would have been a serious contender if finished. That hotel is just awesome. The coaster was good too, just yeah... the lone unfinished area, so this one seems to be on the way out. 4.5/10

Desperado - My favorite entry, I think. It was very smooth and I loved the feel. I normally don't care for this style too much, but it just worked here. It was like Ride6 with a dash of Gila and hint of Mala with the unique coaster. Great work! 8.3/10

Dracula - Fairly repetitive with the 2x2 archy, but the coaster dominated it in a good way. Nice atmosphere too. Not sure about all the use of purple, but the colors were mostly good. 6.7/10

Hybird - Such a great classic RCT feel, from back around 2002 or 2003 when the term NCSO didn't exist. That corner with the mutant apes was fantastic, great feel there. Very solid atmosphere overall and I think it was the most finished/refined area on the map. I didn't like the stacked barrels/steel pipe on the lift and end breaks, also the part at the end where the coaster hovers at 13 mph on that oddly high track kinda kills an otherwise great coaster. 7.7/10

Iron Fist - Love the waves! Hit me with real wow factor when I opened the map. The torpedo hangers were really cool and helped make the waves so awesome. The rest... idk, the car ride did nothing for me, tho it has good interaction with the coaster. Nice silos. The coaster was solid, just the type is not too exciting, but I guess with a cold war theme the type makes sense. Great stuff! 8.1/10

Mako - Love the coaster, great job of making a hyper work on a tiny map. The underwater tunnel was awesome. The rest was just okay, tho I don't think it looks that unfinished. Pretty good area. 7.1/10 (contest host note: this entry used 58 rides/shops! It was an early one and after I saw the high count had to limit people to 31 rides/shops going forward, but it was not an issue after that)

• Kumba%s's Photo

Not quite 24 hours yet, but... I got shit to do and it's not even close...

With 24 votes... Cuelebre has been voted out

RCT2day, grab your torch. The tribe has spoken.

The next poll will be up in a few minutes...

• RCT2day%s's Photo

Yay I suck! Anyway, I'll comment on my screen.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading