General Chat / Brexit?

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

I keep seeing shit about how the UK leaving the EU is going to destroy the economy and create the next world war, but as an ugly american i cant figure out if that's true or just yellow journalism? can folks in eurpoe please cue us international dummies in on this

• Faas%s's Photo
    Just a bad move by Cameron giving old and stupid people a vote on stuff they don't know anything about. I don't think it's as bad as they say but just a stupid move. Scotland will probably become independent and join the EU which is pretty exciting. Also London will have a smaller international role financially.
  • alex%s's Photo

I don't know much about economics but it's scary how divided England feels right now. Politicians and the media have been dangerously irresponsible in the run up to the referendum with the amount of bullshit spouted (on both sides) and the way everything has been falsely viewed through the prism of immigration. The working class have been shafted with years of punishing welfare cuts and have now been conned into believing it's all because of immigration and "bureaucrats in Brussels".

• Lagom%s's Photo

I was awake all night to follow the referendum online. It’s been a very interesting night, to say the least.

No one knows what's going to happen in the future, but I think it’s fair to say that a destroyed economy and a new world war are exaggerations.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Yeah this is an interesting development. I don't know enough about it to say I'm against or in favour of it with full confidence, but it's probably not very good. On the upside the UK is going to be a cheaper holiday destination, and I'm rooting for Scotland to give the UK the finger and remain in the EU as an independent country.

• FredD%s's Photo

We'll see the consequences over years, not sure when it will be completely finished, will he a huge task to do so. I'm not really worrying, it's stupid but it will be the Brits that lose. It's kinda sad the older generation made this choice and winning a referendum with only 2 or 3% difference doesn't seem democratic to me. 

I also hope Wales and Scotland give England the finger. And Northern-Ireland to join Ireland. Would be hilarious. A year ago England convinced Scotland to stay in the UK with slogans like "we're better of together"... Kinda hypocrite... 

• trav%s's Photo

The problem with Scotland giving England the finger and trying to join the EU is that all it takes is one member state to vote no and Scotland will be unable to join the EU.

Now, can we think of any states that are having their own problem with independence calls that could be further fuelled by an independent Scotland? A lot of Spanish politicians came out when the Scottish Independence referendum went ahead and said they would actively block any sort of attempt to join the EU to make it clear to Catalonia, Galicia, Castille, and all their other little mini-states that it's a bad idea to leave the motherland. 

As for the UK leaving the EU, I am firmly a supporter of the remain camp, but I fully understand why people have voted out. One leading politician for the leave camp said some time in the campaign that the general public are 'Sick of experts' which is exactly why the demographic split shows that the older generations were much more likely to vote leave, simply in protest of politics. I've yet to hear a coherent argument for leaving the EU, that makes economic, social or political sense, other than 'We've had enough of being told what to do', which is so sad but is the reality.

What we need to do as the UK now is really try to sure up the best deal possible for leaving the EU and cross our fingers that the rest of Europe follows our suit. Having such a powerful neighbour that we aren't a part of is going to be dangerous for us in every sense, so as much as I love the idea of the EU, I now want to see it slowly disassemble so that we can maybe build something new from the ashes. 

• alex%s's Photo

However sad the result is whats even worse is seeing all the anger and reactionist shit on facebook from fellow leftys. We're not going to move forward unless we engage and listen to working class people better than just finger wagging and calling them stupid, racist and facist.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

About N. Ireland and Scotland leaving:

"You know what the last new countries we got were? South Sudan and East Timor, and we got those through brutal military occupation/civil war." - Todd

As for the difference between old and young people voting, I found this table to be really strong. If you think about it this way, democracy isn't always that democratic.

13501804_1760184667584094_20730596281805

• G Force%s's Photo

You could make the argument that elders are more dependent on the government and therefore deserve the ability to have the same vote as a young person.  All age groups are self centered and thinking about their best interest so denouncing another age group for having a separate opinion because their older is a bit hypocritical. 

Even if they won't truly feel the long terms effects of their decision, they went through the exact same thing then they were in the under 40 demographic as well.  What goes around, comes around...

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    can't barrage the farage
  • Lagom%s's Photo

can't barrage the farage

https://www.youtube....h?v=ayojl7Op37A
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo

I will say its been 4 years of referendums here... and I am sick of it. But now seems Scotland will have another one soon. My fear is in the next one to leave the UK again... The people that voted to stay in last time, The majority voted to stay will now vote to leave because one of the promises leading up to the last referendum was vote to stay in the UK so you stay in the EU. That is now out the water. Hence another damn referendum.

I didn't vote in this one because I knew it wouldn't be decided here it was all down to England on this one. Much bigger population more votes. I didn't take any interest in the early stages because of this, So have no opinion on the outcome.

This was always going to happen on the event of a brexit because the SNP was waiting for an excuse and Scotland with every single area returning a remain vote and then the majority of the UK(mostly England) voting out.  

I Just wish the shit will be over soon so I can turn on the news without hearing about referendums and stuff.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading