Theme Park Discussion / Boy must take down homemade coaster

• Dark-Daxter%s's Photo
    A German boy was building on his wooden coaster, but he must now take it down. Check screens:

Posted Image
    Posted Image

The coaster went 50 Km/h and was 5 meters high and 91 meters long (wtf is that in feet?). He must take it down because it was too high and he had not the right to build it.

Pretty awesome I must say though.
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    That drop looks pretty steep.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Oly crap, I can't believe he actually did that. Looks like steel, so that's pretty damn amazing.

I'm sure he's loaded too, but poor guy. :(
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Someome should sponsor him. Like B & M or Intamin or something. Maybe get the land rezoned or something. There's got to be a real dick as mayor to make him take that down. I bet he was jealous.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    Wats the problem if thur are trees around there higher than the coaster? Shouldnt the trees need to be torn down too then. 8@
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    It looks like a tiny Intamin hyper coaster. Actually, in the first pic it looks pretty big, but if it's only about 15 feet tall, it's tiny.

They have the speed listed as 50 kph. Did he finish the ride? In the pics it looks like it's just the lift.

Anyways, too bad, it looks like a great start. I wish I had the motivation and the money to do something like that (only without having to tear it down afterwards).
  • Atlus%s's Photo
    Where would he get those coaster parts anyway? And wouldn't he want the money to buy a car when he's older?
  • lazyboy97O%s's Photo
    He custom built the parts.

I've seen several of these before but never like this. Usually its some ricketty welding work. This however looks amazing. Somebody needs to move to Switzerland.
  • Magnus%s's Photo

Wats the problem if thur are trees around there higher than the coaster? Shouldnt the trees need to be torn down too then.  8@

i read that in the german newspapers some days ago.

officially they said it is too dangerous to build such a coaster in your garden and that's the reason he is not allowed to finish it.

sad enough cause it looks like lots of work and i'd like to see the finished coaster.
    hope he finds a way to get it done one day.

edit:
    91meters ~ 300 feet
    5 meters ~ 16.40 feet
    50km/h ~ 31mph
    though if you fall 5 meters you will never reach that speed.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

91meters ~ 300 feet
    5 meters ~ 16.40 feet
    50km/h ~ 31mph
    though if you fall 5 meters you will never reach that speed.

true, since his drop will only take 1 second it means that will go about 36km/h and that is while neglegting any form of friction and assuming a freefall straight down.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    He's using a weight-drop launch system to propel the coaster. It's the combination of the weight-drop launch and the drop which make the coaster go 51kmph, in theory.

Oh, and he's basing his calculations on a roller-coaster game he plays.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I believe we've all established many times that the physics of RCT are less than accurate.
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    who says he is talking about rct
    in germany many people play no limits. (ok many of the coaster crazy people)
    and as we all know the physics in NL are by far better than in RCT.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^But still not perfect. None the less some coaster companies supposedly use NL to display their designs and layouts to potential customers, although not to design the rides since the tolerences on real coasters are generally less that 1/4 of an inch.

ride6
  • Dark-Daxter%s's Photo
    Now ive heard that the coaster is taken to Europa Park and being placed near a coaster in the park. Good news i must say. :)
  • tyandor%s's Photo

^But still not perfect.  None the less some coaster companies supposedly use NL to display their designs and layouts to potential customers, although not to design the rides since the tolerences on real coasters are generally less that 1/4 of an inch.

ride6

that and NL limit doesn't do any other calculations. You need Applied Mechanics (Statics, Mechanics of Materials, Dynamics) to be able to calculate a coaster structure and that's stuff you usually get at a Technical University. Believe me: those are hard subjects to master... didn't pass any of them yet (be it that it isn't much use to start the last two if you didn't pass statics...)
    NL doesn't care if your structure would collapse in real life. They use it for presentation purposes though.

Oh and Ride6: the tolerances are much higher than that depending on what you're doing.
  • Junior%s's Photo

That drop looks pretty steep.

For some reason I found that hilarious.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Does anyone have any links to this? Not that I care if it's in german or anything, but pics are more interesting.
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    I think it's brilliant! SO much better than that peice of scrap metal with a dodgy corkscrew that American guy made...
  • Magnus%s's Photo

^But still not perfect.  None the less some coaster companies supposedly use NL to display their designs and layouts to potential customers, although not to design the rides since the tolerences on real coasters are generally less that 1/4 of an inch.

ride6

that and NL limit doesn't do any other calculations. You need Applied Mechanics (Statics, Mechanics of Materials, Dynamics) to be able to calculate a coaster structure and that's stuff you usually get at a Technical University. Believe me: those are hard subjects to master... didn't pass any of them yet (be it that it isn't much use to start the last two if you didn't pass statics...)
    NL doesn't care if your structure would collapse in real life. They use it for presentation purposes though.

thanks for making me laugh

but i'm interested where you study and such. also the subject, cause i just love mechanics cause it's the easiest part of physics i know.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading