Music Forum / The Definitive 200 list

• spiderman%s's Photo
    I don't know if any of you have seen this, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame put together a list called "The Definitive 200", a list of the top 200 albums that any music fan should own. Note, this list is NOT just Rock and Roll, but all genres (well, not ALL obviously).\

http://www.definitiv...om/200_list.php

To be honest, I am disgusted at Shania Twain's 'Come On Over' being listed at 21, ahead of albums such as Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' and 'The Wall'. Also, Guns n' Roses 'Appetite For Destruction', arguably the greatest debut album of all time is at 32, behind several albums that albeit are important, but not #1 best selling debut album of all time important.
  • yyo%s's Photo
    This list is shit, but I wasn't really expecting much better. Every music fan must own "Get Rich or Die Trying"? Enough said.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    I think it's a reasonable list, but to say anything is definitive is silly. I don't really care for Metalica, Green Day, U2, Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath, AC DC, Aerosmith, Dixie Chicks, Kid Rock or Shania Twain and they're all in the top 60. It's all opinion.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    50 cent?

yeah it's a definitive list... of bands that lemmings flock to. This list has more in common with how well it was advertised and how many albums were sold rather than their impact on music.
  • Metropole%s's Photo
    I own 3 of those...
  • ekimmel%s's Photo
    Wow... They included about 25 suck ass rap and r&b records and didn't include:

Judas Priest "Screaming for Vengeance"
    Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast"
    Kiss "Destroyer"
    Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine"
    Motorhead "Ace of Spades"
    Alice in Chains "S/T"
    Queensryche "Operation: Mindcrime"
    Motley Crue "Shout at the Devil"

I'm not saying all rap should be removed from the list. Certainly there are historic records from Eminem, NWA, Beasties (though I would argue Paul's Boutique was more important), etc., but there are waaaaaay too many. I mean....3 Jay-Z records, 2 from Outkast, and not a single one from Maiden or Priest? Kiss' "Destoyer" absolutely changed the face of rock and roll in the 70's and isn't on there but we have Shakira!

But other than those glaring issue I don't have a problem with the other 175 on there. All in all a decent list.
  • spiderman%s's Photo

Wow... They included about 25 suck ass rap and r&b records and didn't include:

Judas Priest "Screaming for Vengeance"
    Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast"
    Kiss "Destroyer"
    Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine"
    Motorhead "Ace of Spades"
    Alice in Chains "S/T"
    Queensryche "Operation: Mindcrime"
    Motley Crue "Shout at the Devil"

Hmm I'd say Dirt is more deserving than AIC's self titled. But anyways...

After looking through the list again, I own 46 of those albums. And am I interested in purchasing 25 of those.

Hmm
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    I'm really suprised that Loveless by My Bloody Valentine wasn't on there or anything by Wilco, but that's just me. I agree with the Shakira comment, but not the ones about Jay-Z or Outkast. I don't really understand why that Santana album is so high/on there at all. Same goes for Shaniah Twain, Dixie Chicks, 50 Cent, Jewel, Faith Hill, Linkin Park, Creed, Celine Dion, Titanic Soundtrack, Kenny G, Enya, Boys II Men, and Avril Lavigne. All of the other ones seem like they at least have a case. The more I look at it, the more it seems like it's geared towards the more popular albums of today, and the tested classics from the 50s-80s. I guess that answers the whole why isn't Loveless or Wilco on there.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    It's not a matter of taste. This is outright shit. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is just another cog in the great big suck machine of the music industry.
  • Tvae%s's Photo
    Only one reggae CD, and no ska to be found. Ummm... Okay?

Glad the Beatles were number one though. At least they did one thing right.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    This list means nothing.

It's the albums that sold the most copies while retaining some amount of artistic value. Thus Dark Side of the Moon > Wish You Were Here or Animals; while the latter two are far more powerful statements and better pieces of music they didn't sell 25 million copies.

Rubbish.

Ride6
  • spiderman%s's Photo
    I do agree with you on that. Too many albums go overlooked just because they didn't go 10x platinum or some bullshit...
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

This list means nothing.

It's the albums that sold the most copies while retaining some amount of artistic value. Thus Dark Side of the Moon > Wish You Were Here or Animals; while the latter two are far more powerful statements and better pieces of music they didn't sell 25 million copies.

Rubbish.

Ride6

Dark Side of the Moon gets a bad rap. I know that since everyone likes it it loses some of its cool factor and mystique, but I still think it's Floyd's best.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    i still can't get into pink floyd. it's kind of irritating to be honest.
  • lucas92%s's Photo
    ^It's like listening at an ascenssor song to my opinion... :et:
  • spiderman%s's Photo

^It's like listening at an ascenssor song to my opinion... :et:

ascenssor?
  • yyo%s's Photo

i still can't get into pink floyd. it's kind of irritating to be honest.

Have you heard the Syd Barrett era-stuff? Very jammy and psychedelic shit you might like.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    nah i really only have the wall and dark side of the moon lool.

though my friend keeps going on and on about the piper at the gates of dawn. i should probably get that.
  • spiderman%s's Photo

nah i really only have the wall and dark side of the moon lool.

though my friend keeps going on and on about the piper at the gates of dawn. i should probably get that.

I'd reccomend Wish You Were Here
  • ivo%s's Photo
    wow. I havent that much albums.

Nirvana-unpluged in new york
    Nirvana-incesticide
    Nirvana-in utero
    Nirvana-nevermind
    Nirvana-Live! Tonight! Sold out!
    Red Hot Chili Peppers-blood, suger, sex magik
    Red Hot Chili Peppers-Stadium Arcadium
    Red Hot Chili Peppers-Freaky Styley
    System of a down-toxicity
    System of a down-Hypnotize
    Korn-Issues
    Korn-Untouchables

oops, wrong topic, this belongs to my cd list

Edited by ivo, 14 April 2007 - 06:43 AM.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading