RCT Discussion / Roomies Antique Attic

• Roomie%s's Photo

Hey all
    Been thinking of doing this set up for a while

In this topic i hope to bring a few of the early classics from RCT back to the community. I have divided my collection in years and picked a few parks from each year to post. I will start from 1999 and move along so you should notice a difference in quality over time . Obviously all of the parks shall be LL as RCT2 didn't exist back then and please don't go into this with expectations of todays amazingly complex parks, but take everything as it is and remember it was released up to 10 years ago (crazy that) so I hope you will join me and enjoy some nostalgia.

Note: i sorted them out by Date last modified so a few may be out date wise by a bit but i think i nailed it in the end

So without further Ado I present

Hybris Mega Park - Hybris
    If ever a park has inspired me it is this one. A Classic back in the day and one that still holds a place as one of my all time favorites now. The Mega Park is something that I thought was lost when Mala left the community. But it has been brought back with Evil WME's most recent park.

Hybris was the forerunner to many of the great creations over the next few years. But nothing ever quite equaled it in my opinion.

Download: Attached File  The_Hybris_Mega_Park.zip (788.49KB)
    downloads: 159

Mountain Escapades - Liquid Crash
    A lovely mountain based park this one which really used the terrain well. The massive hyper coaster dominates the park and dates back to the days when people built hyper coasters that were 200ft tall in the games slightly off height system. LC was a force in RCT for years and this is one of his earliest parks, One that i think really caused a stir in the community and one that I still remember now as catching my eye.

Download: Attached File  MOUNTAIN_ESCIPADE__LIQUID_CRASH.zip (143.65KB)
    downloads: 131

Willow Lake Amusement Park - DanMacK
    DanMack recently returned to the community and showed some cracking old school screens. Back in the early days of RCT DanMack was not only a good friend of mine but also one of the leading parkmakers in the community. I'll be the first to admit this is probably the weakest of the 3 1999 parks but the signs of his later greatness are there. At the time the burnt out side friction was a groundbreaking idea and all the coasters have strong realistic layouts. Dan is one of the community's oldest members and it's great to see him back. I for one cant wait to see what he comes up with.

Download: Attached File  WILLOW_LAKE_AMUSEMENT_PARK___DMCC.zip (134.71KB)
    downloads: 136

That Concludes 1999. I hope you enjoyed it

Sorry about the delay guys.

2000 saw the release of LL which became the pinnacle of RCT 1 creation in addition to this the first really useful trainers appeared. However in 2000 The Danimation spotlight really came into its own and dominated the scene.

Unfortunately this made it hard to find good non spotlight parks from that era but in the end I have included 2 Spotlights and 2 Non-Spotlights in this update. The Spotlights may clearly be the better 2 parks but the others provide a nice look at what the rest of us were doing at the time.

Revelations - Last Arch Angel
    LAA was a constant inspiration to me back in the Danimation days, something i paid tribute to with the 4D during H2H5. This was one of the earlier Danimation Spotlights and contains some cracking ideas. Mask of the Beast is a towering Out and Back woodie that still stands the test of time (if only the turn around was a bit better) whilst the under construction Hyper coaster contained the first Cranes i remember seeing

LAA's innovative use of the newer track pieces (the entrance arches for example) helped propel the game forward and the park had a fresh new theme we hadn't yet seen.

Royal Ridge - Voodew
    A overall more understated park that revelations i chose this just because it seemed a bit more raw than the others. The "Avalanche" looping Woodie is insanely unrealistic but it's fun.

On top of this the"Mount Olympus" is just ridiculous, but the crazy care free coaster era is something that we've lost in my opinion, Overall its for the best I agree. but i do miss rides that just didn't give a crap

Harten Hills - Pinadelicato
    Another old school park which is obviously not up to the spotlight standards but it has some lovely sections and ideas. The towering All- American Racers are superbly over the top whilst the Roman themed "Midas Touch" was well received back in the day.

For me the best part of this park is the gardens, Melancholy and Bright they hit a spot that few parks do for me.

Mountain Beach - Mala
    What can be said about this park. Still one of my favorite releases of all time i couldn't not include it. The completely insane "mountain racer" is still a classic even to this day and the other rides don't disappoint. "Canyon Serpent" is delightfully wrong in coaster design terms yet it feels so right in this park.

Mala went on to become a legend both here and at Danimation, Over the years Mountain Beach has been eclipsed by his later works, However i still think it holds its own almost 10 years later.

I have included all 4 parks in the following zip file however i believe Mountain Beach and Revelations are already on their respective parkmakers pages if you just want those 2.

Download: Attached File  RAA.zip (1.44MB)
    downloads: 138
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    wow, i like alot.

this stuff was the reason i feel in love with rollercoaster tycoon.
    people having fun with a game.
    real memories are revived here.

i was 6 when these were released.
    i was 12 when i got the game.
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    Hybris Mega Park inspired me so much when I first saw it. Those dueling B&Ms with the spiral drop into the volcano was something I did so many times afterwards!

Great idea with the years, can't wait to get to Buster territory. :D
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Awesome idea Roomie.
  • posix%s's Photo
    there you can see real creativity.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    as opposed to all the non-creative stuff we see now, right?
  • posix%s's Photo
    precisely
  • Steve%s's Photo

there you can see real creativity.

I quite like most of the parks we saw back in the day, but, with the exception of that awesome "HYBRIS" custom sign, I find these to either be a gigantic mess or just flat out boring. To me they either look too chaotic or just uninteresting.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    posix is an old man :p

posix was here when this was all fields, you know.
  • posix%s's Photo
    i'm just biased when it comes to oldschool stuff ... can't help it.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    LOL Liquid Crash... somebody watched a certain Angelina Jolie movie...

Anywho, all these parks look great... and have warranted a re-install of the game.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

I quite like most of the parks we saw back in the day, but, with the exception of that awesome "HYBRIS" custom sign, I find these to either be a gigantic mess or just flat out boring. To me they either look too chaotic or just uninteresting.

Yes, I think most old LL parks from 1999 and 2000 look like either a mess or are uninteresting, and in rare occasions both. For example, Big Dipper in Willow Lake is a great concept of a burnt coaster, but the whole park really only keeps you looking for a few minuits, my personal favorite was HMP, as it looks great, with my favorite ride prabably being the Indiana Jones Mine Train, though the park is interesting, it is a mess (Like Steve said), but still manages to make itself look good. The same thing goes for early rct2 parks.
  • RCTCA%s's Photo
    Wow, Hybris Park. I remember that one very well, still have it in my Saved Games folder too.

Edit: Oh, I was looking through my rct parks and fond 2 folders titled, "Danrct" and "Danrct2" and they have lots of parks from early 99' to early 2000 and most are either hacked parks, or hasbro competition lands plus a whole bunch of other stuff. If anyone is interested I will upload them. :)

Edited by RCTCA, 29 November 2009 - 01:14 PM.

• DanMacK%s's Photo
    Nice to see my name up there :D Excellent idea roomie, can't wait to see more.

Willow Lake was more of a proof of Concept park to see if an older style "traditional" park could be done. Nothing hugely modern. I'm proud of it, but it's definitely showing its age. I've got alot of big ideas coming down the pipeline, it's just a matter of finding time to execute them.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Hey Guys
    I am working on 2000 but 2000 was such a good year for parks its insane. Danimation had some cracking spotlights that year. I'm trying to pick 2 which were spotlights and 2 which were not. But it could take a couple more days :)

I have come across some cracking old parks as well as some of my own I had completely forgot about (I may start a separate thread for them as it provides a nice view of my evolution in the game :) )
  • rK_%s's Photo
    you made my day roomie, going to take a look now

EDIT*

MOUNTAIN ESCIPADE- LIQUID CRASH - took me back to the simple time in rct, little bit before me but i know what was goin on around the danimation era. I really loved the entrance, that should be rebuilt into another park an used a monorail station, i think with a little updated style it could be very nice. Zeuss Roar was an amazingly strong coaster, but then again, your knack for hypers is second to none.

hybris just looked like you had alot of fun craming that map with that insane amount of rides, fun to look at, and Willow Lake was, again, another great classic looking map. Comet was to me very nice, the layout was very clean, with a few tweaks it could be a very strong coaster. still havnt got to see zeuss roar go yet, the mechanics are appearently stoned an just wondering around not fixing anything, im goin to check em out again later today though, great works again roomie

Edited by rK_, 02 December 2009 - 07:36 AM.

• tdub96%s's Photo
    Mega parks like WME's Mt. Doom are definetly my favorites, to see and to build. The Hybris park looks awesome
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Whoop finally got it done.
    Find the year 2000 in the first post of the thread.
    (i will probably do 2 per post so the posts are easy to find but not too long :))
  • rK_%s's Photo
    it's so crazy to see what was ground breaking then to what we see now, still great to look at, congrats on completing it!

Edited by rK_, 08 December 2009 - 06:24 PM.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    mountain beach is one of my favorite ll parks

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading