Theme Park Discussion / Six Flags Over Georgia Announces Dare Devil Dive

• nin%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Official Site

Calling all daredevils.
    In 2011, Six Flags Over Georgia will introduce Dare Devil Dive, a "euro fighter" coaster with an amazing drop that's BEYOND vertical.

Dare Devil Dive's mission begins as you're pulled straight up to the sky on a special vertical chain lift, then slowly roll to the top of the tower nearly 100-feet in the air. After an agonizing pause at the crest of the summit, you plummet downward at an angle that is beyond straight down — it actually angles inward at a blistering 52 mph.

Then you careen through a thrilling combination of diving loops while executing three inversions before you catch air on a zero gravity hill and swoop across the dreaded Immelman vertical U turn stretched high above the ground. The crescendo builds as the car dives toward the ground and up into a Heartline roll before being slowed by the magnetic brakes. Whew!

Dare Devil Dive will be the 11th coaster in Six Flags Over Georgia's already stellar coaster line-up.

DARE DEVIL DIVE BY THE NUMBERS
    Height Restriction: 48"
    Flash Pass: No
    Height: 95 foot vertical lift
    Length: 2,099
    Top Speed: 52 mph

Features Country's first beyond vertical dive

Three inversions

Opening: Memorial Day Weekend, 2011

Manufacturer: Gerstlauer Amusement Rides

• Airtime%s's Photo
    Seen this earlier today.

Nice to see a new coaster. But a major boo for a Gerstlauer Eurofighter. They really are a cheap coaster in my eyes!

And country's first beyond vertical drop? defo not the first. What a lot of bull...
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    and its been a decade since we got something decent :/ oh well I cant complain to much. But seriously, a Eurofighter? that is an odd move by six flags. It doesnt seem, six flags-ey.
  • nin%s's Photo
    Apparently they meant to say "country's first beyond vertical drop with a pause", or something of the sort. While I do somewhat agree with the cheap coaster bit, and though I was hoping for a GCI, anything's better than a Tony Hawk Big Spin like we were rumored to be getting.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Kinda odd Six Flags went for a Eurofighter. I normally associate them with crappy Merlin Parks :p however, any addition is a good addition.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    ^No thats just thorpe louis

Thats what I'm saying its a really odd move for six flags
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    What's wrong with Eurofighters?

"MFG"
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    I have to wonder about capacity aswell, the trains are like wild mouse trains. Rides like goliath and Mindbender all hold massive amounts of people.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    ^The main reason why it doesnt fit a big park like any six flags.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

What's wrong with Eurofighters?

"MFG"

Nothing really, they offer a cheap thrill and are perfect for the general public.

However all our Eurofighters in the UK are pretty dire, except Speed: No Limits - which is pretty good.
  • yocoaster%s's Photo
    HOLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW bout frickin TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! A new roller coaster!!!!!
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    Kind of surprised they didnt go with an Intamin like Fahrenheit at HP. I mean its similar (but better quality) than a Eurofighter and has better ride capacity.
  • Brent%s's Photo

and its been a decade since we got something decent :/ oh well I cant complain to much. But seriously, a Eurofighter? that is an odd move by six flags. It doesnt seem, six flags-ey.

What are you talking about? Goliath in 2006, the first flyer in North America in 2002. How are those now (at least) decent? I absolutely LOVED Goliath when I was at the park two years back, and Superman was also a very fun ride.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Oops, I was reffering to SFOT, should have made that clearer. Sure we have some nice rides but for being the original and one of the best infrastructure and theming wise we are really lacking in rides at sfot. Ok sure we got Tony Hawks big spin, mehh.(we also got what is arguably one of the best drop tower rides ever) Hopefully the new Giant will be awesome.
    SFOT is probabbly best comparable to Great America, by size of the park and the region, and since 2000 SFGAM has gotten Little Dipper, Vertical Velocity, Superman: Ultimate Flight, Dark Knight, and Rajun Cajun and added and then removed Deja V. Since 2000 SFOT has gotten Titan, Canyon Blaster and THBS and a massive redo of a wooden coaster.
    Just sayin'.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    The first beyond vertical in the country is a HILARIOUS claim. I've been on two already (Maverick @ CP and Steel Hawg @ IB) and I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple more.

I also agree that this seems like a strange move when Intamin could've delivered a comparable ride with better capacity and quality, BUT Six Flags does tend to penny pinch. There are people out there than believe the Giovanola was hired to build Goliath and Titan because Six Flags wanted rides similar to Raging Bull (Hyper-twisters) but at about 3/4 of the cost, so they went straight to the manufacturer (B&M is a design firm, Giovanola fabricates their rides anyway).

And Austin55, SFGAmer has basically gotten tiddly shit since Superman: Ultimate Flight. Dark Knight is an enclosed wild mouse, and not a very good example of either... Rajun Cajun couldn't move a crowd enough for me to even bother riding it last time I was there and Deja Vu was never open. Post-2002 they've added what? Two mice and a relocated 'family' wooden coaster. They've gone 8 years without a major attraction upgrade... SFOT has been similarly screwed I must agree but if you're going to complain bitch about SFGAdv, SFOG, or SFGAdv continuous upgrades. But I'm terribly excited to hear the verdict on Texas Giant's refit because rumor has it Cedar Fair has been exploring options with various companies to upgrade Mean Streak now that Maverick has drawn a lot of attention to that area of the park.

I agree that SFOT is deserving of a brand-new e-ticket wonder, but if you're claiming SFGAm has gotten vastly the better of it, I have to disagree completely.

Ride6
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    No no I agree, SFGAM isnt that much better, but still its gotten more than OT. Chang should have stayed at GAM imo. Even if it would have ruined iron wolf.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Well, Great Adventure certainly doesn't need it but I don't think it's a very good fit for SFGAm. It'd actually go better at SFOT or SFA. The great thing about SFGAm's coaster lineup is that it doesn't have any glaring holes. Great wood? Viper, Hyper? Raging Bull, Launched? V2, Inverted? Batman, Standing? Iron Wolf, Flying? Superman... Like I don't really know what they "need" and nor do I know where they'd put it. I suppose a floorless or an Intamin sitdown looper would be the best fit (I'd actually say the same for Cedar Point... or a Flyer for them).

Anyway...

Ride6
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Two mice and a relocated 'family' wooden coaster.

eh, I actually like that they installed that wooden coaster, it is a good example of how just a little bit of money (in the amusement world at least) can help save a historic ride.
  • yocoaster%s's Photo
    Ok after doing some simple research, I'm still glad we're getting a new roller coaster and all, but I agree with everyone in saying that this should have been an Intamin manufactured ride...judging from the picture, this shit is only gonna last for lyk 30 seconds, while Inty's are known to push the minutes range.....

still, bout time we got a new coaster...
  • John%s's Photo

I also agree that this seems like a strange move when Intamin could've delivered a comparable ride with better capacity and quality, BUT Six Flags does tend to penny pinch.

Bingo. Six Flags just recently emerged from bankruptcy protection and as it showed with its previous failed business model, it's much better to invest in the guest experience to get repeat visits rather than continually sinking millions into thrill rides year after year. They couldn't sustain it then and now is certainly not the time for it.

That said, what else could they possibly add in Georgia that it doesn't already have? A floorless, maybe. It has plenty of high-capacity rides for the crowds, so this is just a niche coaster that they can advertise to draw the thrill-seeking crowd without breaking the bank like they used to. As for the rest of the guests, they'll be much happier with more attention paid to everything else around the park.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading