General Chat / Real life architecture...

• sircursealot%s's Photo
    Well, we talk a lot about RCT archy, so I thought I'd get a thread going about the real deal. Anyways, some of my favourites are...
    -Habitat, Montreal
    -Fountainebleau (sp?)
    -Machu Piccu (sp?)
    -Fallingwater
    -St. Basil's Cathedral
    -Edinburgh Castle
    -almost anything in the Baroque to Revivalism period

Well, ya. Post, bitches.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Yes Habitat in Montreal looks amazing. And on the topic of Montreal, I've always fancied Olympic Stadium too. What is this Macchu Picchu though? All I know is the ancient city in the Andes mountains but it's just ruins now. Is there some building called that?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

I've always fancied Olympic Stadium too.

Um, plastic and concrete and astroturf isn't exactly nice on the eyes.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    I'm digging Gaudi man. And the Sydney Opera House.
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    The Opera House is really nice. I really like stuff like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, lots of glass and odd shapes, thats what I think is most interesting.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo

Yes Habitat in Montreal looks amazing. And on the topic of Montreal, I've always fancied Olympic Stadium too. What is this Macchu Picchu though? All I know is the ancient city in the Andes mountains but it's just ruins now. Is there some building called that?

Yes, it's an ancient Inca city, but it really fascinates me. It looks wonderful, being built so nicely on the mountain and all... :)
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo

What is this Macchu Picchu though? All I know is the ancient city in the Andes mountains but it's just ruins now. Is there some building called that?

I believe the ruins is what hes talking about. Have you ever seen pictures of them? They look just like something that we would put right into RCT, sort of like the exact real life layout of a very well done Aztec park. They are beautiful in a strange way, especially with their surrounding atmosphere, all those huge mountains...............

Anyway, I really like any of the old British/European castles. They inspire me so much. Simple, but very well done. Some bits of European/Rothenburgh (Germany) architecture have inspired me to make my latest park as well. Great stuff. Europe has the very best archy you will find anywhere.

The simple, yet beautiful and well done architecture inspires me most. Kind of ironic though considering my general archy is nothing even remotely close to being able to be described as "simple".....
  • Scarface%s's Photo
    Anfield........in liverpool

Wonderful stadium !!
  • Ablaze%s's Photo
    Sacre Coeur - Really nice church in Paris

I'm not religous at all but its a really nice place.
  • Micool%s's Photo
    Well, I love the new WTC design, even though I don't get the point...don't all the companies that were in the old one need a place to be?

And there's a library...I think it's in Egypt...that's pretty cool.

Oh, and my friend went to Macchu Picchu (If that IS how it's spelled) and he climbed the mountain next to it.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    ^ the Alexandria library? Yeah, that's pretty kick ass.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    here are some of my favorites:

Villa Rotonda (Villa Capra) by Palladio
    Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum by Frank Lloyd Wright
    Guggenheim Museum by Frank Gehry
    Vitra Fire Station by Zaha Hadid
    Vancouver Public Library, Unknown

Then there are some areas of Vancouver and British Columbia with amazing architecture, like Yaletown in Vancvouer and Whistler Village in Whister. I also really like the archiecture in Paris.
  • fatkat61%s's Photo
    someone should do the shereton wall center in downtown vancouver
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    How about that hotel in the fine country of Dubai? I like that one.

The Experience Music Project building in Seattle is awesome too.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    the one wall center is nice, but there are a few things i personally dislike about it. One, the two-tone glass makes it look horrible, i mean, why couldn't they keep the same glass colour all the way up the tower? And two, It looks short and fat from one perspective, and tall and skinny from another. I think it would have looked nicer if the tower appeared to stand tall over Vancouver from all parts of the city (FYI, its vancouvers tallest building, at 520ft).
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    5, Old Wardsdown.
  • Ablaze%s's Photo

5, Old Wardsdown.

Lets not bring wooden shacks into this please. Otherwise my house would be up there too.
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo
    I could go on and on about architecture. Both my parents are architects, and I have numerous books that I looked at quite a lot.

I like most of the modern architecture in Helsinki, and I like most of the stuff Richard Meyer (I think that's his first name, does all the white buildings) designs, especially the Stein house in the '70s.

Montreal's Olympic Tower is pretty cool, also. If that's not the name, then I mean the leaning one. My other tower is the CN Tower, which is way better when you're at the top.

Houses? I like the Garage House by I forget who, but it has the garage inside the house, pretty much (like, in the living room). Falling Water is an old favorite of mine, and the interior of that looks awesome.

I like modern and postmodern the most. Those style r0x0rz.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    ^ CN Tower = Fucking scary
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I've went in the CN Tower once.

Hell, I get vertigo just looking up at that thing.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading