Music Forum / American Life Album Review

• DÃœKE%s's Photo
    1. American Life – The worst song on the entire album! After the minute mark it gets good. It sounds better on CD than MP3 and it sounds more complex than on the MP3, like more extra sounds. Seriously, it isn’t the best song on the album, probably the worst. Rating: 7/10

2. Hollywood – This song is very intriguing, not that it’s really weird but it’s so stiff sounding. It could be a single, defiantly. As the finale of the track her voice goes from M to a mans voice then just stops. Im addicted to this track, and apparently it’s the second single. Rating: 9.5/10

3. I’m So Stupid – The bass drum is like DAD, but not the same it’s stiffer, like it catches you and holds you because it’s not something that’s expected. Then the held “I” was awesome, the snares have a pen flicking on a table sound. The grinding t sounds add to the song well. 8/10

4. Love Profusion – It’s great shouldn’t be released as a single. I can’t explain what it sounds like, kind of a Fleetwood Mac’s track meets Mirwais extreme funky-ness. I think it’s about Guy, Lourdes or Rocco. 9/10

5. Nobody Knows Me – Don’t let the kitschy intro fool you it goes into an awesome M track it’s so damn good, it’s stellar, as good as Vogue. There’s a grinding sound that really gets to you, like a Dentist’s Drill. It works so well, it’s unbelievable. 10/10

6. Nothing Fails – At first it sounds like a Don’t Tell Me clone, then it just breaks away. Then a choir joins in making this a truly moving song. Releasing it as a single just wouldn’t do it any justice, and it seems that it’s going to be the third single. 10/10

7. Intervention – I don’t know about this song, it works but it’s like WIFLFAG from Music it’s slightly boring. But then at the minute mark it becomes are serious dance track with freaked out snares and blurbing. 8/10

8. X-Static Process – One of M’s ultra-rare ballads, she only has like four or five including this track. Personally it’s very, very, very boring to me, it’s so slow I tune out by the 2minute mark. I forced myself to pay attention and the lyrics are very deep which more than makes up for the non-existant beat. 8/10

9. Mother And Father –I was expecting a sappy slow song, but it’s an upbeat dance floor track that will be a hit if released, it’s brutally awesome. I think that it’s quite sad in some parts where she sings about her mother. The rap parts are much better than AL’s. 10/10

10. Die Another Day –Hmm, the song actually makes sense on the album rather than being a Bond track, maybe the song was done before the M was asked to do the Bond movie and they chose it as it’s title and theme? It’s not that much different, except it has a longer fade out. 8/10

11. Easy Ride – It starts out like Frozen, calm with wailing strings. Then mixes a bit of Gone with it. Finally add a Mirwais funky beat and it’s a very eclectic sounding track. The strings are my favorite part, and the squishing sound is phenomenal, the song works so well. The final dance break really powers out, I’ve never heard such upbeat strings in a dance break 9/10

Compared to Music this album is much better rounded with less filler, Music had two filler songs and this album has none. I like all the songs on this album, they could all be singles, but her apparent choices are really good too. I would’ve suggested that AL be released as the last single, so as not to project as badly on the album as it did, and release Hollywood or Mother And Father instead. 9/10, one of her top albums, I think it’s better than Ray Of Light.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    I have heard two of the songs, I didnt see anything wrong with them. Madonna either knows what sounds good or knows someone that knows what sounds good cause all here stuff is up there.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Why did you post this? We don't care.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    ^Really. Fuck off. Please. His post was decent and not anger provoking. You dont need to go crazy. BTW isnt your name some retarded boy band?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Queens of the Stone Age is not retarded!!! Everybody has such a thing against boy bands, but I don't care! Queens of the Stone Age is still awesome, even if the guys don't write their own music or play their own instruments. Their voices are great and they can really dance. So there!

And, they're not 45 or whatever Madonna is.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

Queens of the Stone Age is not retarded!!! Everybody has such a thing against boy bands, but I don't care! Queens of the Stone Age is still awesome, even if the guys don't write their own music or play their own instruments. Their voices are great and they can really dance. So there!

And, they're not 45 or whatever Madonna is.

How cares how old Madonna is, here music is somewhat good. Age has nothing to do with it my child.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    Many people have posted album reviews here that no one really cares about. Whats wrong with this one? Although, I was under the impression that you were supposed to post all of this stuff in that one thread...............

Did you know that Die Another Day was voted the worst James bond track ever recorded? Just thought I'd share that. I will also take this time to express my annoyance to albums that are named after a song on the album. For some reason that just strikes me as incredibly cheap. Dont ask.

But who am I to judge this CD when I have never heard it (nor plan to anytime in the future).

Not that I am judging this group, as I have never heard them (or heard OF them for that matter), but what kind of talent do they have if they dont write their own music or play their own instruments? So they can dance. Whatever. As if anyone cares about that. Just becasue when they were born their vocal chords were formed in a way that when controlled noise is emmited from their mouths it makes a pleasent sound, doesent give them talent. They might sound good, but that is just becasue they are stupid lucky blokes that were blessed with well formed vocals when they entered this world.

Yay. Sorry, I just had to get that (or something along the lines of that) out of my system. Resume peaceful conversation.
  • Pawn%s's Photo

Not that I am judging this group, as I have never heard them (or heard OF them for that matter), but what kind of talent do they have if they dont write their own music or play their own instruments? So they can dance. Whatever. As if anyone cares about that. Just becasue when they were born their vocal chords were formed in a way that when controlled noise is emmited from their mouths it makes a pleasent sound, doesent give them talent. They might sound good, but that is just becasue they are stupid lucky blokes that were blessed with well formed vocals when they entered this world.

QOTSA was joking. They're a stoner rock band that does indeed play their insturments and write their own songs, which are catchy and cool in their relative simplicity. Good band.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Thank you, Pawn...I was worried that no one seemed to know anything about MTV's latest rock bitch.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    Oh............. right.............

As if anyone watches MTV anyway.
  • DÃœKE%s's Photo

Did you know that Die Another Day was voted the worst James bond track ever recorded? Just thought I'd share that.

I care? Seriously, who was included? Bil O'Reilly? He hates Madonna, I used to watch him because he was so absurd but not I don't watch Fox anymore. But how could it be the worst Bond track when it was one of the five Bond themes that have reached the top 10?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

As if anyone watches MTV anyway.

All the people who used to look at me funny when I mentioned Queens of the Stone Age...but then nodded in agreement around December or so.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    The worst Bond theme ever is A-'Take On Me'-Ha's one. To vote 'Die Another Die' above that is an outrage! I demand a recount, the worst Bond theme must win!

Whatever.

Does it matter what a bunch of idiots who know nothing about music think? No.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo
    I thought it was a rather nice review as reviews go...just the suckiest album EVER to do the review on. The ONLY Madonna song I've ever liked was her remake of American Pie, and that was a long time ago, like two years. She's old, and really needs to stop making music. A good review tho.

Next time do Evanescense or Finger Eleven or sumthin. Jeez.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Not only have the two singles from the album 'Die Another Day' and 'American Life' grown on me quite a bit, but the album tracks are better.

Thorpedo, have you heard the album? It isn't really sucky, at all. More along the lines of a really, really great mainstream pop album.

To some that might be bad, but, not to me.

I especially like how she mixes up a far more lyrically, and musically mature variation on the pop-standard of late (Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, etc) with her 80s hi-NRG days, and makes it work flawlessly.

Anywho...

Will I buy this thing? Maybe. But right now I got to listen to my copy of Marquee Moon which just came. Art-punk roxors your boxors. Almost as much as art-punk revival (Radio 4, Elefant, French Kicks, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, etc).

So, yeah... bye.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Next time do Evanescense or Finger Eleven or sumthin. Jeez.

How about no.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo

I care? Seriously, who was included? Bil O'Reilly? He hates Madonna, I used to watch him because he was so absurd but not I don't watch Fox anymore. But how could it be the worst Bond track when it was one of the five Bond themes that have reached the top 10?

Maybe it was Bill O' Reilly. To tell you the truth I have no idea. I just heard it on a radio talk show (generally an unreliable source, I know).

Although, I do know that this was no big awards thing. Probably just a magazine or something. Forget I mentioned it.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo

How about no.

Die.

Chauncey, I heard American Life for the first time on the radio, and I thought that it was pretty good. Nice good tempo, with excellent lyrics. I haven't heard the other Madonna songs, so I can't really judge the rest of the album I guess...but I was making an eduacted guess, because all of her other albums sucked in my eyes.

And die again. Finger Eleven rocks, and Evanescense totally ownz you.
  • Pawn%s's Photo

And die again. Finger Eleven rocks, and Evanescense totally ownz you.

I hereby repeat QOTSA's "Um no."

Um, no...

I'm not a fan of Madonna, nor have I heard much of her stuff, but as a mainstream pop star, I respect her as an artist (not musician), and how her stuff, which generated by a very commercial machine, has remained relativly untouched by censorship and that bull.

Good review, btw.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    madonna is not a great artist nor a good musician.

She is, however, a brilliant business woman, and knows how to work the system. Nuff said.

edit: maybe this part isnt so apparent, but being a brilliant business woman also implies she knows who is talented and good enough to hire to write her songs and play them for her.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading