General Chat / Toys and Games

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

I'm assuming all of us here like a variety of computer games beyond RCT, but do any of you enjoy other toys and non-computer games as well?  And I'm not counting gadgets such as iPods or other tech like that.

For me, the greatest toy is Lego. Over the past decade or so, I've really gotten into it a whole lot more, and my favourite sets are the modular buildings. I love the amount of detail put into each one, and the way they combine together to create a realistic and interesting street scene. The fact that it's all minifigure scale makes it even better as it's compatible with all the other minifigs I have, helping to busy up the street and replicate a real sense of bustle. Yeah, definitely my favourite toy.

For games, I'm a big fan of board games. I tend to stray away from those heavily luck-based (like Monopoly, where you could have it all and then lose by one role of the dice), but I do like Settlers of Catan, as this takes a new approach to the numbers on the dice. I tend to like skill, verbal and quick-thinking games, such as Articulate and Taboo, and games that require some problem solving and strategy such as the Tetris board game (which is a pretty neat adaptation of the classic).

So yeah. What are your favourite toys and games?

• Austin55%s's Photo

Lego absolutely and modular houses absolutely. I have all of them, I keep them in a display case at my moms elementary school and all the kids love them to. 

• Ling%s's Photo

I adore big, complicated Lego sets. Unfortunately Lego is enormously expensive for being moulded plastic, and I don't really have anywhere to store the stuff I do build with my girlfriend, so I don't bother. I play board games with one of my roommates and his girlfriend's flatmates and friends and such ever few weeks. My favorite one is probably the card game Bang! but no one ever wants to bother to learn how to play.

• ida%s's Photo

LEGO!!! I collect 90's Lego, mostly Town theme sets.

• MorganFan%s's Photo

Hell yeah, LEGO is super fucking expensive. I liked K'Nex better. I also am a Rubik's Cube enthusiast. My solve times aren't what they used to be, but I bet I could still do it. I also used to be really big into Hot Wheels sets. They were my shit. You know, not the dumbass playsets where you change the colors of the cars or whatever, but the ones where you actually use your imagination and build the fuck out of that hot wheels track. It got pretty creative. I always wanted to have the K'Nex roller coaster sets but my mom would never let me. God dammit.

• Stoksy%s's Photo

I used to be a LEGO buff in my younger days but I've moved beyond it now unfortunately. I'm also a huge Settlers of Catan fan! However, I rarely find the time to play board games anymore/don't have the people. Hot wheels was the shit when I was younger as well; had a massive car collection that's probably still in a cupboard somewhere.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I have a gigantic crate of LEGO at my parent's house. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

I used to be a Lego fanatic when I was around 15. It really was my hobby. It didn't last, and I went into my 'dark ages', as they call it in the lego community, around my 18th or something. But something happened two weeks ago... In a moment of absolute boredom and inspiration, I dug out my lego boxes from the attic and made an elderly people's home. I'll show some pictures soon. It's the best thing I ever did with Lego... I hope other people will show their creations too! It doesn't matter if I haven't built in one day or in five years, I still love to see creative lego creations. Not simply sets though. That's NE RCT versus scenario playing. I'm into NE style Lego.

• ida%s's Photo

Seeing as today (the 18th) is/was my birthday, i got even more Lego today! Yeah! Pics of my old Lego collection follow later.

http://www.lowlug.nl...hp?f=93&t=13212

I built this recently. I also have a few other things built up which i'm gonna take pictures of later, too. I'm probably better with Lego than RCT :p

• csw%s's Photo

I love Legos, and judging by the rest of the responses, everyone else does too. As far as board games go, I like Settlers of Catan. I'll play and enjoy about anything else though. Card games, I love Euchre. It's my go to card game, even though it's not extremely popular. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

Good stuff Wouter! Puts your RCT work in another perspective as well... I have higher expectations of you now!

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

Yeah, that's a pretty cool build, Wouter.  Happy birthday btw :)

And Austin55, seriously all of them! That's awesome. I missed out on the early corner hotel, and that thing goes for over $1000 now!  Bit gutted about that. I got the GreenGrocer off ebay for a moderate price and currently have that and the others built and displayed on a long shelf in my room.

MorganFan, I really like K-nex too, and I've recently built a custom design of the Big Ball Factory (might post a picture soon). As for the roller coasters, I had the original one with the loop, before they introduced the lime green/purple/grey sets with the more box-style track. It's a shame that the brand looks so much like Lego now :( To be honest, some of the sets seem to contain more Lego shaped pieces than K-nex. Wish they hadn't changed all the colours of the pieces too...

• Liampie%s's Photo

MorganFan, I really like K-nex too, and I've recently built a custom design of the Big Ball Factory (might post a picture soon). As for the roller coasters, I had the original one with the loop, before they introduced the lime green/purple/grey sets with the more box-style track. It's a shame that the brand looks so much like Lego now :( To be honest, some of the sets seem to contain more Lego shaped pieces than K-nex. Wish they hadn't changed all the colours of the pieces too...

I agree about you, K'nex isn't what it used to be. They have bricks now? What the fuck. K'nex was never about being pretty... I got that original roller coaster for I believe my 5th birthday... I'm sure that my mom was REALLY reluctant with getting me such an expansive gift, and did it with mixed feelings, but I'm also sure that all her doubts disappeared quickly. Probably the best gift she could've got me at that time, you wouldn't believe how happy I was and how much fun it offered me for years. I still have it, stored away of course.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    I had this problem with K'nex that I didn't have with LEGO, where I'd carry pieces around the house, fiddling with them, and often lose them. I also managed to break more than a few connectors too. My parents convinced me LEGO was better after some time of me doing that.
  • Lotte%s's Photo

i haven't played with lego in a long time, probably since i was 11, i made an awesome boat back then though, which is now sadly split into two because my dad once carelessly put it in a box with other creations of mine. (the boat was like 35×10×20) other than that i like risk but i don't have the game myself

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

Here's the custom ball machine I mentioned:

KevinHynesK-Nex_zpsdaa65ee6.jpg

• MorganFan%s's Photo

^That

I always wanted one of those, but again, my mom wouldn't let me. But in her defense, one of the roller coaster sets on the K'nex website is 1000 FUCKING DOLLARS. Why.

• Lotte%s's Photo

awesome choco! i always like it when people make stuff like this, it takes a lot of thought and it's pretty cool

• JJayMForce%s's Photo

I loved legos too, or should I say Mega bloks.  Mega bloks were a much cheaper alternative which were the exact same in scale to legos and I could get a ton of 2x4 bricks that way. 

The best thing I built was a recreation of the Japanese aircraft carrier 'Kaga' from WW2.  I also built a recreation of the Japanese battleship Yamato from WW2.  The rest were castle recreations, such as Coca castle in spain, Chambord castle of France, and a few others. They were the best I could do with what I had, because I never really obtained all the intricate little pieces lego offered in various sets.  I still have them, and it's tough to keep them safe everytime I have to move!  I will definitely try and upload some pics of them here when I get a chance, and I would like to see everyone else's creations too.

• ida%s's Photo
    I recently built this spaceship. It's cool. More photos here.

15963714198_2f6f706539_b.jpg

And i've also had a stand at a Lego event in late December. Albums of the event can be found here and here.

15943724577_e494a46b1a_b.jpg

The picture of the event also shows a portion of my old Lego collection for if anyone wanted to see it. I thought i'd bring some sets with me as i had to fill an entire table.

I also recently built a Classic Space themed spaceship which i still need to take proper pictures of. You can see a crappy pic here:

hBoq37u.jpg

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading