General Chat / Boardgames

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

Do any of you guys play regularly boardgames? I myself love playing them. With boardgames I mean actual games that take some playing time and not some shit like UNO. I play a lot of two player games vs my brother but we also have one bigger round almost every week. At the moment we play a lot "Power Grid" a game where you have an electricity company, not my favourite game but the others like it.

So are there any other boardgamers? What games do you play?

• RCTER2%s's Photo

I once played yugioh and bang!

• Faas%s's Photo
    I regularly play Settlers of Catan with some friends.
  • Chocotopian%s's Photo

I think there are a couple of other topics like this. As for me, I play Settlers, Chess, Articulate, Taboo, Balderdash, occasionally Monopoly (though I'm not too keen on it) and we have a board game version of Tetris which is quite fun.

• Mattk48%s's Photo

Risk is always a good friendship ender

• Poke%s's Photo

I used to play monopoly but it always made me cry.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I love boardgames

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

I see the classic games are well known. I think Catan and Monopoly are really boring games where you just roll the dice and see what happens. Catan with the expansion is at least somewhat playable but still lame.

Risk is a real classic, played it a lot some years ago, we always played with the goal "rule the whole world". We sent secret sms to each others to make pacts and intrigues that was really funny. In the end the last two players always decided on a draw because the games lasted for 5 hours, they both had huge armys and noone could really defeat the other. For the other players it was boring then especially for the first guy out, who was defeated three hours ago :D

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Similar thing happened to me and some friends. We were stuck awake at 4.00am because two players were just going back and forth with their armies.

Generally, I don't really play board games all that much. Occasionally battleship with a pal. The game of life is quite fun with friends too, but not if you'd play it more than once a year. I don't care for Catan, tbh, don't really see the fun in it but admittedly I've noticed I'm not really good at it either.

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    Carcasonne
  • bigshootergill%s's Photo

I liked Catan, but certain expansions definitely make it better, especially Cities & Knights.

A really cool game is Ticket to Ride, I've played the USA/Canada map and European Map mostly. Good times!

A few other scattered games: Scattegories, Apples to Apples, Cards (Texas Hold 'Em), Taboo, etc

Risk is always a good friendship ender
    A good way to play monopoly and keep friends is the card game version, Monopoly Deal. I hate playing regular monopoly for 3 hours while everyone breaks the rules, but the cards version is 15-20 minutes a game. Way better!
  • Ling%s's Photo

Bang! is fantastic. Everyone I have introduced it to loves it. We play it with my girlfriend's family all the time. Settlers of Catan is also great. I have a version of Risk (2210 AD or something) that is spectacular and a lot of fun if you've got a dedicated group of people willing to spend a few days on it. Pandemic is a fun little cooperative board game, but it's brutally difficult. The "Outbreak!" cards become overwhelming on even the easiest difficulty. Blokus is a fun quick game. We also have a version of Clue and Arkham Horror. I've also played Munchkins which I didn't particularly care for, and some kind of Asian (Taiwanese? can't remember) card game about building cities. Kinda fun but there's one strategy which pretty much wins every game which makes it boring. Of course played Monopoly/Life/Scrabble/Sorry/Battleship but I don't have any of those at the moment. I've heard great things about Ticket to Ride but never had the chance to play it. Never touched MTG or other trading card games (although I dabbled in Pokemon back in the day).

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    I'm big on pandemic atm. My house is just filled with board games, like really cool indy ones so theres always cool new ones to play. Theres one called small world which im reeallly into atm, its so fun. Highly recommended
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

i love monopoly because i know how to be a huge dick in it that makes me win the game in 30 minutes. get all of the low properties and put 4 houses on each so that the bank is starved of houses. it makes ppl have to invest a LOT of money to get hotels because they have to buy at least 8 houses at the same time to do so. this is all while i make cash off of them collecting go and stealing it immediately.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

you mean other than the rollercoaster tycoon board game?

Ironically enough, I discovered euro games while working in the board games division of Hasbro.  You know, making "some shit like UNO."  bigshootergill, I was actually on the team that playtested Monopoly Deal.  I've got a streamlined alt ruleset I prefer if you're interested.   

Basically we got together at lunch and played eurogames (mostly Dominion) and then went back to working on Monopoly and Battleship.  I've designed a few games and have a small collection; I prefer card games mostly, so I've got San Juan and Lost Cities, 7 Wonders, etc.

Mattk, if you want a real friendship ender and not the lightweight frilly pansy game that is Risk, you want Diplomacy.  

(Yes, I own the RCT board game too.)

• Ling%s's Photo

My step-brother is obsessed with Diplomacy. It sounds interesting but like it takes weeks or months to fully play. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

• nin%s's Photo

Found the RCT board game at a thrift shop a few months ago for 5 bucks and couldn't say no. Haven't opened the box since.

Dominion is my current fav, was introduced to it a few weeks ago and have been itching to play again.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Tabletop RPGs count? I've been nerding out playing DnD recently.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Has anyone played twilight struggle? Supposedly its meant to be great but i havent been able to get my hands on it
  • Tolsimir%s's Photo
    yeah twilight struggle is the best game i have ever played. It is very time intensive but totally worth it. A round takes like 4 hours for us. Only downer of this game is that it has a huge learning curve and you wont play it with another player than the one you always play with. And maybe you really need to be in history and such because thats all what the game is about: play your own cold war. And every round its different.

][, that sounds totally awesome! What games did you design?

Dominion is also one of my favs. Quick and easy gameplay. With the expansions very much variation, too.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading