RCT Discussion / The websites we miss...

• Jaguar%s's Photo

Just thought this would be an interesting discussion; since RCT is mostly dead outside of NE, Reddit, and a few other fan-sites, there are a lot of websites that are unfortunately lost to time.

For me, one of these websites would be RCTTown, which had a lot of great parks and a ton of recreations. Honestly for its time, some of the parks were close to NE quality. Another much older website would be RCTInc which had a lot of awesome NCSO parks. Geocities also hosted a lot of interesting parks, there were a lot of cool ones by Ja227/Parkitect. Then there's the UCES, the list goes on.

Tl;dr - Time for a nostalgia trip. What are some old RCT websites that you miss, particularly ones that closed down?

• G Force%s's Photo
    I always was a fan of TPR. But actually RCPro was the place to be, some of my favorite content originated there.
  • trav%s's Photo

Gonna show my age here with RctCompetition (Shut down in 2003-2004 I believe) and RctDepot (Shut down in like 2006).

RctCompetition was the starting ground for a lot of British Rct'ers while RctDepot had a lot of fun contests and I was a mod for a while over there.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

NE4

• Jappy%s's Photo

Easy. RCT-Guide

• Psi%s's Photo

the golden days of tpr was a fun time

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I've never really enjoyed TRP... It's a horrible place to be right now, and it was a horrible place to be ten years ago. Sites that I do miss? Definitely RCT-Guide and SaveRCT2. I don't necessarily want those sites to be around still, it's mostly nostalgia and closely associated with me beeing a teenager and high school life. I wish there were more people left of that era, and more parks and screens salvaged. It was a very screenshot-centric community as opposed to the release-centric communities like NE and RCTSpace, meaning a lot of it is gone.

Not sure what others to name... There was a whole cloud of smaller communities out there, some are mentioned above. And all the clubs. I definitely roamed that cloud a bit in the years leading up to me signing up here, but I don't really have specific memories...
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

I was never super-involved at RCTStation; most of my early forum days were at Thrillride.com (later Thrillnetwork).

• Mattk48%s's Photo

NE4

Yep. Miss the banner. It felt like a different time
  • mintliqueur%s's Photo

The ones I miss are definitely RCT Station, which was probably the first RCT site I discovered (though I never posted in the forums), and RCT Competition.

Through RCT Station I discovered trainers etc, basically that there was more to RCT than just playing through the scenarios. This was before RCT2 was out. I remember when the first screens of RCT2 appeared on the front page, it was very exciting! The next milestone was when Doctor J's object editor was released and the first CSO started to appear. I think some of it (and other old content) is still downloadable from the archived site. Shortly after RCT Station I discovered NE and although I registered I never posted anything (my first account was called "mintlikör"). 

I was never really that active at RCT Competition but I remember it as a pleasant site with nice people and good quality parks. I remember RCT Town too and I think I even submitted a few parks to that site... RCT Depot was the first forum I registered at, I liked it at first but all the people I liked seemed to disappear and after a few controversies I got banned too. After that I resented the site, and it seemed it was quite a common opinion in the community for a while, the site and in particular its admin acquired a nasty reputation. The good people from there were the ones running RCT Mart, I think. I'm quite surprised actually to hear you were a mod there, trav! After RCT Depot I mainly hung out at RCT2.com (now RCT Space). Dropped out of the community in early 2006.

• RCTER2%s's Photo

I remeber there was tons of RCT related website under the server of Yahoo geocities, and they all gone when Yahoo stoped this server.

"In April 2009, approximately ten years after Yahoo! bought GeoCities,[4] the company announced that it would shut down the United States GeoCities service on October 26, 2009.[5][6][7] There were at least 38 million user-built pages on GeoCities before it was shut down"

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Apparantly, the RCT-Guide.nl domain has been bought by a sex dating website thing. Absurd!
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

It seems Lunatim's Loopyland has disappeared... that place was a legend to casual RCT players. Tycoon Planet's also gone.

Also, what happened to RCTAvenged? Does anyone still have that modded version of RCT2 that someone on that site created?

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

I've got a RCTModified 1.3 installer.

• nin%s's Photo
    RCTAvenged was a neat little site. Definitely helped tighten the community a bit and was just fun to see the banter between JJ and Louis.

RCPro was my absolute fav, and RCTSpace is where I started so I definitely wish it was still around like it was in its prime. TPR had its good days but I mostly hate that community outside of a few members.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Well, the Rct2objectlist domain recently expired. That's a shame, the community seems to be slowly dying.

I hope RCTspace doesn't die, someone needs to revive that site before it goes the way of the dinosaur.

• Xeccah%s's Photo

rct2objectlist was shit, and riven3d is also a very shit person. we have a better system for object archiving anyway

• Psi%s's Photo

I've never really enjoyed TRP... It's a horrible place to be right now, and it was a horrible place to be ten years ago.

I don't disagree haha.  but there was a core group of people on the rct section that were great.  lots of shit mods though, haven't bothered going back there in like 5 years

• Kumba%s's Photo

NE2 and RCT Station.

Not that anyone will miss it, but soon I will not be paying for the hosting of parkmakers.com. I will save a backup of it and keep the domain tho. 

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Still a fan of TPR, just not for RCT. I never really got the hate for it...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading