News / NE's Christmas Presents: Multiplayer Server and Object Database

• G Force%s's Photo

Merry Christmas to everyone at New Element! In case your family has neglected to get you any presents, worry not. You can always count on some nice presents over here at NE!

The first present is the launch of an official New Element Multiplayer server. Check out this page for more detailed information. Special thanks to the guys from 'Tycoon Paradise', Sweet T and CoasterCreator9, for helping us to set up and hosting this multiplayer server.

The second present concerns the object database. Thanks to a wonderful coding effort by X7123M3-256, almost all the objects now actually have a thumbnail image. This means that you can now actually browse the database and discover new useful objects!

Enjoy the holidays, New Element!

• csw%s's Photo

Ooh! Super cool feature with the object thumbnails, good work X. 

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

Both of these are awesome presents! Thanks to everyone involved. Merry Christmas!!

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    There's also descriptions for (almost) every object, which means the keyword search now has some text to match on. You can search for things like "support" or "tree" and get meaningful results.
  • bigshootergill%s's Photo

Holy moly! Sweetness! That's amazing!

• soluna%s's Photo

Damn dude, I can't iterate enough how helpful these new features for the database will be. Your Christmas gift to the NE community is really awesome.

• Jappy%s's Photo

Thank you for these wonderful gifts!

• Dimi%s's Photo

Two beautiful Christmas gifts! Really appreciate it, thanks a lot.

• posix%s's Photo

It makes me so very happy to see some technical progress on the site again. Really want to stress my gratitude to X7123M3-256 for his work on this. geewhzz and I had been in touch with him over a long period of several months, slowly moving forward to a situation where we could finally work together. I've never met anyone with his level of RCT2 object expertise, and we can be very happy to receive his support. 

Merry Christmas NE!

• X Louis%s's Photo

how would you gain perms on the NE server? Being a TP member and have posted screens on NE

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

It is detailed here. In particular:

These permissions can only be handed over to you by a 'moderator' personally, while both being on the server. Because of this, you may not have the permission you want right away. Hopefully it'll be only a matter of days until everyone is set. 'Moderators' are encouraged to verify that the player in question is indeed who he says he is; impersonators are known to roam the OpenRCT Multiplayer servers from time to time.

• Liampie%s's Photo

It makes me so very happy to see some technical progress on the site again. Really want to stress my gratitude to X7123M3-256 for his work on this. geehzz and I had been in touch with him over a long period of several months, slowly moving forward to a situation where we could finally work together. I've never met anyone with his level of RCT2 object expertise, and we can be very happy to receive his support. 

Merry Christmas NE!

Quoted, because we did not give you quite enough credit in the announcement. Me, Louis, G and ][ had nothing to do with this. I'm just as delighted and grateful as any other member. :) It's an amazing piece of progress, really.

For all questions regarding the multiplayer server, I refer to the multiplayer topic linked above. It holds some aswers, and it is the right place for questions. The first post there will be edited to include new information and answers a lot in the coming weeks, I presume.
  • Kumba%s's Photo

Merry Christmas NE! Nice stuff guys, the object DB is looking good. I have yet to try any of the great new RCT innovations that have come out this year like multiplayer, but maybe next year. 

• Steve%s's Photo
    Merry Christmas everyone! Hope your day is as great as these wonderful updates. The object database never looked so good. :) Thank you!
  • Otsdarva%s's Photo

Happy Holidays everyone! Excellent work with the object database X7!

• Bubbsy41%s's Photo
    Merry Christmas NE hope everyone had a fun, safe holiday! Thank you so much for creating this. I absolutely love it. I feel like it'll be great to have the community come together and make a high quality release and hell its made me start playing rct2 again.
  • nicman%s's Photo

Great, the only thing needed for the object database, is an easier way to scroll through the pages such as a drop-down menu.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    Yeah, I agree, but I'll have to work out how to do that. Right now I haven't added any new functionality, I've just added more metadata, so I still don't know where the relevant code is. But once I find it, there's a few things I want to add.
  • mintliqueur%s's Photo

Though I probably won't use it a NE multiplayer server is a logical step in the history of this site, good to see! And the object previews are an invaluable addition to the database, long overdue! Nice christmas gifts! 

• The Old Tire%s's Photo

Yeah, I agree, but I'll have to work out how to do that. Right now I haven't added any new functionality, I've just added more metadata, so I still don't know where the relevant code is. But once I find it, there's a few things I want to add.

I hope one of the things eventually is the ability to add objects into 'sets' much like how 'projects' categorize screenshots. Tags work nicely for broad categories but for object creators the ability to group similar objects without other users being able to add to that collection is important.  Also allows users who may have happened upon one or two DATs from downloaded park to find related DATs easily in the database and view what else was released alongside. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading