Ask the Experts / Dirt's Tutorial Series

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Live Workshopping

Link

https://www.youtube....h?v=l-UVrh93L8Y

Overview

Now that I think I've got a format that will work, I'd like to get a series of videos via recorded streams for workshopping a player's park in real time, likely to include several exercises to cover some concepts the builder may need to work on.  At this time, I'm planning to shoot for a 1.5 hour building period each video/stream.

*** Looking for players out there who want to participate ***

If interested, send me a message on Discord or via PM.  Ideally, provide a handful of screens of recent and in-progress work, so we can identify some points in your building we can work on specifically.  We will set up a time that works for both of us.

Workshop-ees

1. FredD

2. Jappy

Foliage Tutorial Series

Link

https://www.youtube....h?v=3rzU9aP4ptg

Overview

Basic

- Part 1 - foliage selection, introduction to grass object, primary foliage shapes

- Part 2 - foliage with hills, introduction to secondary foliage shapes

- Part 3 - foliage with cliffs, advancing secondary foliage shapes

Intermediate

- Part 4 - foliage with architecture, foliage with path, critical trees, introduction to framing

- Part 5 - foliage with track layouts, contouring and framing

- Part 6 - intrinsic foliage shapes, finalizing secondary foliage shapes, modern grasses

Part 7 - (soon) ornamental foliage, planters that don't suck, framing focal points

- Part 8 - (soon) waterfronts, underwater foliage, small scenes

Advanced

- Part 9 - (soon) approaching macro with foliage, combining techniques

- Part 10 - (soon) historical examples, unorthodox approaches

- Part 11 - (soon) stylized foliage that doesn't suck, how to break the rules

Pathing Tutorial Series

Overview

Basic
    - Part 1 - (future) overview of approaches to pathing, basic guidelines to path texturing and colors
    - Part 2 - (future) primary path shapes, path widths, texture and color transitions
    - Part 3 - (future) introduction to pathing and landscaping, stairs and ramps

Intermediate
    - Part 4 - (future) advancing pathing and landscaping, introduction to path levels
    - Part 5 - (future) bridges, tunnels, waterfronts
    - Part 6 - (future) pathing and architecture, path constancy
    - Part 7 - (future) pathing and track layouts, creating interactions, queues
    - Part 8 - (future) adding things along the path, planters, secondary path shapes

Advanced -
    - Part 9 - (future) park layouts, selecting a path palette, path-first area design
    - Part 10 - (future) advancing path levels, modern path objects
    - Part 11 - (future) thematic pathways, integrating paths into the environment

Landscaping Tutorial Series

Overview

Basic
    Part 1 - (future) introduction to land levels, land texturing
    Part 2 - (future) shaping hills and slopes, introduction to cliff contours
    Part 3 - (future) rivers, lakes, waterlines, underwater texturing
    Part 4 - (future) approaches to smaller rocks, introduction to landscaping scenery

Intermediate
    Part 5 - (future) macro for cliffs, shaping landscape in three dimensions
    Part 6 - (future) classical approaches to landscaping, jagged rocks, refining changes in land level
    Part 7 - (future) landscaping and track layouts, ride tunnels, the "ride in a hole" approach
    Part 8 - (future) waterfalls, rapids, framing landscape setpieces
    Part 9 - (future) introduction to modern landscape objects, approaches to artificial rocks

Advanced
    Part 10 - (future) landscape-first area design, effective landscape features
    Part 11 - (future) advancing modern landscape objects, modeling specific land features
    Part 12 - (future) park-level landscaping, macro for water features and land levels

Park Design Series

Overview

Basic
    Part 1 - (future) introduction to area design, placing rides and buildings, common "newbie" mistakes
    Part 2 - (future) combining path-first and landscape-first area design
    Part 3 - (future) introduction to motifs, cohesion and contrast, making focal points
    Part 4 - (future) proportions and scale, accurate placement, utilizing height in design

Intermediate
    Part 5 - (future) creating and framing focal points, using path, foliage, and landscaping to guide the viewer
    Part 6 - (future) advancing motifs, color coordination, emphasizing meaningful details
    Part 7 - (future) negative space, when and how to simplify, creating context
    Part 8 - (future) coordinating rides, paths, and landscape, meaningful points of interaction

Advanced
    Part 9 - (future) sightlines from the viewer and peep perspective, linear and triangular building patterns
    Part 10 - (future) radial building patterns, incorporating three-dimensional macro shapes
    Part 11 - (future) using theme in area design, when to use and avoid exaggeration
  • Coaster-GEOFF%s's Photo
    Oh boy, This is what we need!
    Can't wait to watch these!
    Thank you!
  • In:Cities%s's Photo

Thank you for doing this. Looks great!

• Liampie%s's Photo

Could you put them on youtube? :)

• posix%s's Photo

We can just put them on NE's server.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Yes, but we don't have a built in player.

• posix%s's Photo

Most browsers can just stream video files today. Else people would download them and play local.

EDIT: @dirt they're 1-2gb in size? Please compress them.

• barnNID%s's Photo

Thank you for making this, I've watched the first video and it seems really informative. I unfortunately cant watch it all today cause i have an exam tomorrow but I'm really excited to watch the whole series

• Coaster-GEOFF%s's Photo

Damn, these episides are really great!

Definitly need to youtube these.

Also, you have a very satisfying mouseclick, haha!

• Liampie%s's Photo

First three videos are now on our Youtube channel, with dr dirt's blessing of course. Please like and subcribe. The videos are good.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Awesome, thank you Liam; I'll look into compressing those video files, but may just default it to the YouTube channel.

• posix%s's Photo

Very nice. I can also help upload if needed. Could you guys please add the video hyperlinks to the opening post?

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Updating this to recruit some builders who would be interested in putting their work up for live workshopping videos; see first post.

Any future tutorial series will also be posted here.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Finished the first workshop with FredD today; see the post above for the link to the google drive if you want to watch it; upload to YouTube will come soon.

Next up for the workshopping will be Jappy - we're looking to tackle this some point this coming week.  Stay tuned.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

2 years later I am picking these tutorials back up.  Updating the plans for the rest of the foliage series.  Stay tuned for when the new foliage tutorials go up on YouTube.  Wanted to take a brief survey - would you guys prefer tackling landscaping, pathing, or general macro/design next?

• Gustav Goblin%s's Photo

Would love to see a general macro tutorial next personally.

• OddmentsAlchemyLab%s's Photo

There was an attempt to make a series of "Park Making" tutorials over on RCTStation, but it is very incomplete, stopping after a choppy intro to the series that never was. Your foliage tutorial is on a different level than "comparable" game tutorials. Whereas I can learn on YouTube how to build a house in RCT from someone who seemingly has never actually seen a house in the wild - your tutorial has the weight behind it of someone who is either a landscape professional or at least a passionate hobbiest.

There's dirt under your nails, so to speak, doc.

If you had a tutorial series that covered the meta at the level of your foliage study, it would be a definitive work; to smart to be compiled into a "RCT for Dummies" book. I've used your tutorial in my yard (37 acres) as much as I have in the game - so I, for one, would be excited for more.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

That's about as good of an endorsement anyone can ask for right there.  I'll be mapping out how these will all play out, likely we would need to cover other areas before doing an overall macro tutorial, actually.  But I'll be working on getting several done in the coming weeks.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading