H2H9 / H2H9: Round Robin - R7M1 - Manual Laborers vs Tile Inspectors

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Select your favourite park.

1. Diablo de Malaga by the Manual Laborers 12 votes [22.64%]
    • deanosrs
    • PizzaWurscht
    • Dr_Dude
    • dr dirt
    • RWE
    • CoasterCreator9
    • Faas
    • Ling
    • Louis!
    • SupraSix
    • Wulfke
    • SensualEthiopianPolice
    Percentage of vote: 22.64%
  2. Point Nemo by the Tile Inspectors 41 votes [77.36%]
    • Six Frags
    • Liampie
    • Mr.Brightside711
    • Scoop
    • Lowenaldo
    • chorkiel
    • IonZer0
    • Mulpje
    • Gustav Goblin
    • FK+Coastermind
    • trav
    • soap and butter sandwich
    • G Force
    • 6crazy6king6
    • Thethrillman
    • saxman1089
    • Lilith
    • AJ-
    • Zarathustra
    • Goliath123
    • tabard424
    • olddtfan51
    • Maverix
    • Magnus
    • MCI
    • Xtreme97
    • mamarillas
    • Steve
    • Recurious
    • Jappy
    • Camcorder22
    • posix
    • Lurker
    • CedarPoint6
    • Astroturd
    • Terry Inferno
    • Mr. Coaster
    • MorganFan
    • Otsdarva
    • Milo
    • Jene
    Percentage of vote: 77.36%
  • posix%s's Photo

Match Conclusion

The poll is now closed.

The Tile Inspectors have won this match with a score of 41–12.

Creators

Manual Laborers"Diablo de Malaga"

Ottersalad

MK98

Pacificoaster

Tile Inspectors"Point Nemo"

spacek531

Mulder

RobDedede

zxbiohazardzx (F)

• Turtle%s's Photo

A really interesting matchup this one, I think the better park won overall. 

I feel like I should have liked the Malaga park more than Nemo, it's way more my style and honestly i've never really seen an underwater park that i've liked. The only one that came close was The Digetic Underground, which isn't really the same thing, just had underwater sections. However, overall Malaga just felt a little unfinished and underdetailed. It felt like the detailing came and went, some sections looked better than others, which made it feel rushed overall. I liked the coaster a lot, reminded me of some old school ones and the setting for it with the valleys and waterfalls was lovely. 

Nemo was an example of a park that really isn't my style, but I end up preferring due to the skill involved and what they were trying to achieve. I can commend the idea, even if the execution wasn't totally there throughout. Lots going on, some really cool ideas and use of theming/rides (the golf holes for coral was genius), and overall a pretty solid park. I think you could take this theme/look and apply it to a different setting, maybe a huge underwater base under attack, or just mining a trench or something, and with the right execution you'd end up with a stellar H2H park. This just didn't quite hit home for me. 

Still, a deserved win I think, congrats to all involved. 

• Zarathustra%s's Photo

This was a really interesting match between two parks that were pressed for time (or more than the other), but still a lot of fun. 

Diablo de Malaga - It was cool to see a Pro Tour bench park in the contest, and I loved the classic feel of this park. Still, I wish there was a little bit more that felt risky or new in this park. The Spanish archi, tropical foliage, and woodie + splash boats as the main ride, all feel a bit like tropes to me. The woodie layout had some parts I liked and some I didn't. My favorite was the big drop and curve over the water. I also liked the first drop a lot and how it felt like it spilled up over the archi. I wish the coaster had more moments like these, some of it felt like it ran together with helixes of different speed. Personally would have enjoyed if they were broken up with some airtime or other elements. Still it was enjoyable to see the coaster weaving through the many curves. The last helix before the big drop over the water was another highlight- love the shape of that one. The biggest standout for me in this was the archi. the big central building had a great shape that grounded the macro, while those on edges had a lot of nice detail. I also really liked the use of mazes as scenery in this. Overall an impressive park for how fast it was made- I definitely couldn't make any park this size that fast, let alone something of this quality. A strong finish to the season for your team.

Point Nemo - this park really shocked me; my jaw literally dropped when I saw all the underwater stuff. Not the most detailed or refined park of the season, but still just super impressive and fun for what it is. I love all the little animals and bubbles. I loved the mix of modern cso with trackitecture in this, including the big bobsled structures- not everything needs a ton of detail. the underwater rocks are gorgeous and really set the mood (as does the narration). The coaster I liked ok, but it didn't wow me. I think I agree with what someone else said, that those intamin launchers are a bit overdone and tend to usually feel a bit bland to me. Still not a bad layout by any means. I also didn't love the volcano, as it felt a bit disconnected form the rest of the amp. I think it could have been improved with a few more details or focal points, and more movement, like maybe the animated molten pieces that el dorado used. The scale of this park doesn't really make sense, but I kinda just don't care- it all works anyway. Love all the new vehicles too- great stuff. Maybe not one of the top parks of the season, but one of my favorites. 

• ottersalad%s's Photo

Hey all, wanted to provide some details to making this park and add some comments in response to others made here and maybe a general response to H2H in general.

First off, I want to say thank you to inthemanual for drafting me this H2H. I really enjoyed the opportunity to collaborate with very talented and friendly people again this season. I honestly was so happy and excited to work with nin and pac, and even if we didn't build on a park together, it was so much fun bouncing ideas off of them since they are both members of NE that I look up to and aspire to build like. Being able to work again with Cocoa was a huge highlight for me as well, and I thank him for vouching for me throughout the season and before the draft. I come away from this experience proud of the work we did, I think when we all look back on this season, our efforts will be remembered fondly. Just a shame our win/loss record wasn't the best.

Now to the park. This was insane! Honestly built this in 4-5 days. When our week 7 park was no longer going to get finished in time, I decided to forge ahead and make a park. I knew the PT2 bench fairly well having used it for my NEDC entry Toucan, so I knew I could build quickly. Cocoa suggested I try to replicate and draw inspo from Alhambra and some various points in Spain, so that is what did! I wanted to make a woodie and a splash boat because that combo screams PT2. From there it was sorta just riffing and building nonstop. Getting MK to do much of the palace/fortress was huge. Thanks to scenery manager I was able to complete courtyards he had only made 1-2 sides for, and if you look closely elsewhere, you'll see stuff he made repeated on the other side of the canyon! 

The coaster itself had 3-4 different layouts. We settled on a layout that was part Cocoa, part me, part Pac. Cocoa made a rough sketch/layout, I made it probably worse, and then Pac cleaned it up lol. The comments about the stacked trains was my fault. 4 minutes before the deadline we had a peep jam we couldn't fix, so I sent in an old save file that still had too many trains. MK had made it 2 trains, but I screwed that up. So I apologize for that. 

Some timeline pictures:

Here is our park 2 and a half days before the deadline:

Attached Image: 2.5 days before.png

And here is our park 24 hours before the deadline:

Attached Image: 24 hours before.png

Honestly the stuff that was added the last 24 hours was hands down my best stuff in RCT. I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything, but I think the pressure cooker of making a park in 5 days really pushed my limits and I enjoyed this masochistic process. Just don't expect me to hammer out a park like this any time soon!

Beyond that, I hope everyone enjoys the park for what it is now that voting is over. I said this in Discord earlier that some comments left me a bit annoyed.. I think Cocoa said it best on Discord..

"..i'm finding things like 'old', 'blocky', 'not nostalgic, just unskilled', sorta irk me. You wouldnt see those comments on an ncso park--we didn't see them last round". 

I think we somehow in 5 days accomplished the job of making a modern PT2 park.. and thus could be judged against other PT2 style parks (because you have every right as a viewer and critic of art to judge it thru your own lens). Obviously this is H2H, and it's a matchup. This park is judged against a very detailed, CTR-driven, story-driven park.

Not sure what I'm trying to say at this point.. and I'm definitely rambling. Basically what I want to say is, no shit this park looks blocky, half of the objects in the bench are full tile! And yes, it was a rush job. It doesn't have that magic/meta you were looking for, but it is a pleasant, easy on the eyes, atmospheric park with a cool fucking coaster.

Sorry if I sound salty, I really just am proud of the park we made. It was a full team effort to get this across the line. I'm so happy we got this done, and hope over time as Dr Dirt said, is no longer undervalued. Thank you for listening to my TedTalk.

- Jacob

• RobDedede%s's Photo
    Hey all, I want to post a write up for this park even though I’m on my phone for the next week and away from my pc.

Echoing Otter’s comments, I want to say thanks to Tolsimir and Léon for drafting me this H2H. I felt like I had a lot to prove, and while I definitely still do to some degree, I think this contest has helped me take a step forward in my RCT skills. Our team is completely full of simultaneously some of nicest and most talented people in the community, and they were all a joy to be around and work with.

Now on to the park:

It was always my ambition to lead the throw away park this season should we need one. I had so many ideas, a few of which were the Cleveland Balloon Festival, an NCSO park themed to the War of the Roses, and even a park themed to Picasso’s abstract art style. I finally settled on a deep sea theme with an opening of diving slowing into the water. After R5 with Villerouge it seemed possible that the throwaway might happen after all, so I began work on Point Nemo. During this time, I probably built 7-10% of the park, including the coaster, the anglerfish (though Mulder tweaked that later), the jellyfish, and the crab. It was only after X Games’ R6 win that SpaceK and Mulder hopped on the park, and they both came in huge.

SpaceK’s main focus was rockwork. Almost all of the Fisch rocks in the map were done by him, including the entire volcano. He also helped out hugely on the final day with setting up the custom music, the submarine opening, fixing the boat, and adding his trademark custom vehicles.

I knew that Mulder would be a great fit for this park, and I wasn’t wrong. Almost all of the coral designs on the map were done by him, as well as some of the buildings for the underwater base.

While biohazard was busy for much of the building process, he did help out by adding the heartline twister tubes throughout the base and the coaster station.

As for myself, I did as previously mentioned the coaster and the sculptures. I also did most of the base on the top level, all three shipwrecks, and the little submersible among other details on the map. I also did probably 5-10% of the rockwork which was mostly giving SpaceK a guide to work from (not that he needed one in the end).

If I missed anything to do with SpaceK and Mulder’s contributions, please forgive me!

I’m so glad the community had a fairly positive reception to the park, and I’m very thankful I had the opportunity to lead it. Thanks so much to bio, SpaceK, and Mulder for being amazing building buddies!

Also, congrats to Otter, MK, and Pac for finishing your park so quickly. That’s an achievement in its own right.

-Robbie
  • MK98%s's Photo

You forgot to add one thing:

This is our park one week before the deadline

Attached Image: NE ProTour Bench 2021-08-12 11-43-28.png

- Martijn

• Turtle%s's Photo

I love learning the behind-the-scenes for some of these H2H parks, and hearing that Diablo was built in 5 days is absolutely incredible. You guys should be really proud of it, it's unfortunate that as a voter we have to vote without this context. 

This is why I think it's important to come back after the fact when we do learn these things and give credit where credit is due. ottersalad, i'm glad to hear that you're one of the people that thrives in the "pressure-cooker" that H2H can be sometimes. I always felt that I did some of my best work 24 hours before a hard deadline too, and not everyone has that competitive edge where you just don't accept turning in an unfinished park. Amazing work.

• wheres_walto%s's Photo

Diablo de Malaga

+ love the Pro Tour bench choice, anyone who discounts the park because of it is a hater and a loser

+ it feels like there's a good balance of old school styles (full-tile landscaping, gridded architecture, wood pole coaster supports) with modern layering and detail. The church/market area was superb, can't believe you cranked that out in so little time

+ true to the era, love the giant woodie weaving throughout the map. Some angles are a bit awkward but the color choice and support style fit perfectly

- time crunch, time crunch, time crunch. It's unfortunate but that was this park's biggest enemy. The primary victim was the atmosphere, the foundation of the map is excellent, but there just wasn't enough time to develop the setting so it ended up more bland than it would have been.

It's hard to levy any real critiques knowing that what I point out was likely sacrificed somewhere to submit a complete map. For a five day build, this is truly excellent. I'd love to see what would come with 2-3 more weeks of work, I think you guys could hit 80+ design easily if you wanted to

• spacek531%s's Photo

sddefault.jpg

Here's my thoughts on Point Nemo in video form.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Impressed with this being the biggest h2h shares for all these TI players. Well done. Shows a bright future :)

• CedarPoint6%s's Photo

Cool stuff in both parks.  Malaga was fun to see since I had just visited over the summer.  

Here's a video review of both parks:

https://youtu.be/yT7AxnR5yR4

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading