Music Forum / Good punk bands

• Not so Great Brain%s's Photo
    I'm sick of listening to metal. Tell me some good punk bands to listen to. No sum41 or blink182 shit. Gimme good shit that's not all MTV-erized. I want like more underground style street punk or something. I don't really care too much as long as it's not a gay band.
  • sacoasterfreak%s's Photo
    First and foremost, The Ramones.

Second, NOFX. Then I'd trail off into Pennywise, Rancid, Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug..

(Dont flame me telling me LTJ and MP are ska bands...)

But really, NOFX has enough songs to keep you occupied for now.

You may want to find discography on the albums 'So long and thanks for all the shoes" and "Pump up the Valium", also, you need to download 'The Decline.'

Good luck!
  • Thunderbolt%s's Photo
    Well, if you're gonna listen to the Ramones, I'd also recommend the Queers and Screaching Weasel. These three bands really helped shape the genre of pop punk, except they don't suck like most of the pop punk bands do today. As far as modern punk goes, its pretty hard to classify punk anymore, I prefer the term independent music cause it doesnt piss as many people off. Anyways, if you're into NOFX's stuff, I'd also recommend Antiflag, a really good band thats been around for a while now. Some other similar bands are Operation Ivy, Rancid, and Bad Religion.

Since you're more into metal, I'll assume you wouldn't mind some emocore/melodic hardcore/whatever its called bands either. My top reccomendation would be Thrice, even though they've started getting some exposure on TV, that doesn't mean they suck. Anything by that band is incredible if you ask me. Other bands like this are Thursday, My Chemical Romance, A Static Lullaby, Hot Water Music, Atreyu, etc.... I could go on for a while, so just go exploring, but watch out, cause a good amount of this type of music sucks ass (Finch and Senses Fail = shat).

If you want the music to be harder than that, I'd tell you to listen to Converge, The Refused, and Hopesfall. I'm not really into straight hardcore so I dont know too much about it, but I know these bands all kick serious ass.

If you wanna listen to the quiter stuff, I'd go for Northstar, The Early November, Mae, Bright Eyes, The Get Up Kids, or Hey Mercedes. I'd tell you more about it but I'm tired of typing, so I'll just give you some more that didn't fit in above.

Coheed and Cambria
    Saosin
    Anadivine
    Rx Bandits
    AFI
    Don't Look Down
    Brand New
    Taking Back Sunday (who you've probably heard at some point by now)

Hopefully that will help you out for now, but I could talk music for days so if you want any more bands just IM me or something and I'll give you some more.
  • The Langolier%s's Photo
    Madcap, Tsunami Bomb, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, OPeration Ivy, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Avoid One THing
    Kill Your Idols, The Smooths, 7 Seconds, Swingin Utters, Autumn to Ashes, Midtown, HAndsome Devil, Murphys Law. Theres some
  • The Drizzle%s's Photo
    Good Charlotte rocks man.
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo

You simply have to be kidding me.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image
  • Foozycoaster%s's Photo

....No more air for you buddy.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo

Good punk bands

That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
  • Chesire%s's Photo
    I will give you some of the bands my friends listen to:

The Devotchkas
    The Unseen
    C1it 45
    The Varukers
    Social Distortion
    Rancid
    The Adicts
    Misfits
    Early AFI

and more...
  • Chesire%s's Photo
    I love SAOSIN! (whoeve mentioned them)
  • Andrew%s's Photo

That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

AMEN

anywho, I used to know some hardcore punksters, they called all the bands before they became big, they were really hardocre underground.

As of now, their into the Misfits so check them out.

But don't take my word for it, I despise all things punk.
  • The Drizzle%s's Photo

Aérôglòbe Posted Image

Sorry I forgot that you have to point out sarcasm here.
  • Thunderbolt%s's Photo

I love SAOSIN! (whoeve mentioned them)

That would be me, and yes I think they're farking awesome. I just heard of them a little while ago, but I bought the EP and its pretttty good. Anyways, are you into The Bled, The Beloved, or the Bronx at all? For some reason, I always think of those bands in the same group, I guess cause I heard of them around the same time.
  • MindBender5%s's Photo
    Check out Goldfinger. Their album Stomping Grounds is pretty good. Lots of variety.
  • Chesire%s's Photo

That would be me, and yes I think they're farking awesome.  I just heard of them a little while ago, but I bought the EP and its pretttty good.  Anyways, are you into The Bled, The Beloved, or the Bronx at all?  For some reason, I always think of those bands in the same group, I guess cause I heard of them around the same time.

I heard The Bled sounds like everything that is going on right now, but I know I will give them a listen or 2 sometime. I have never heard of The Beloved. I saw The Bronx play with The Kinison (BTW...I love The Kinison) and didn't really like them.
  • FindingNemo%s's Photo

Aérôglòbe Posted Image

Good Charlotte Is good, not that its That good, its just good. although I am gonna be listening to it for 5 hours stuck in a car on the way to virginia in October on my way to BGW :0
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    i concur, sircurse.

but im more concerned with this...

My top reccomendation would be Thrice, even though they've started getting some exposure on TV, that doesn't mean they suck.

If you actually NEED to say this, then it really is a testament to how pathetic these elitist indy-music fans are.

Sorry, but that has always pissed me off about genre's like rap punk and grunge, they are usually so far away from the original concepts of music, that it ends up attracting untalented individuals who are only able to profit off the novelty of it.

It's like post-modernists; all "self-expressive" little shitsacks selling a blotch of red paint on a white canvas for over thousands of dollars. That is what atleast HALF of the people associated with these genres remind me of.

This will probably piss someone off. Good for them.
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

This thread makes me laugh...
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raven-SDI
    §
  • Rage%s's Photo
    2 words.......

DEAD KENNEDYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Good Punk - Part One: This is the very first part of my two part series of Good Punk. Part One is an incredibly breif sampling of what I think is good in the modern Punk/New Wave world.

First of all - get Yes New York (link). Don't ask questions like why? Or what? Or is Ted Leo And The Pharmacists really a New York band? Just get it!

After you do that, get the following: Radio 4's Gotham (link), Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights (link), the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Fever To Tell (link), the Liars' They Threw Us All In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top (link), the French Kicks' One Time Bells (link), Elefant's Sunlight Makes Me Paranoid (link), Pretty Girls Make Graves' Good Health (link) and of course, the Strokes' Is This It? [Import] (link).

Now as I said, this is just a mere sampling of what is going on right now. There is more - a lot more - but you'll have to find it on your own (of course, it is rather easy to do seeing as there's so much buzz and hype going on for this stuff right now).

With that said, I expect Part 2 to be far more complete - although the focus will be on Punk from the late 60s to the early 80s. To read up before then, go and get Brian Enos classic Punk "compilation" No New York (link).

Also, the reason for getting the Import version of Is This It? is very simple - it actually has New York City Cops, the best track - and its cooler to have the Import than it is to have the original!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading