News / NE State of the Union Address

• iris%s's Photo
    Hey everyone...Iris here.
    I'm here to address the state of New Element and what is changing and what needs to be changed.

The most important thing to discuss is the resurrection of the site, NE3. As of now, progress has been terrible for the new site makeover. Unfortunately, with obstacles to overcome in the staff's lives, along with a sense of non-importance I seem to be getting from much of the staff, we really haven't made any big strides towards the new site. The layout is all ready to go, but the revamped areas and new features are still very much at a standstill. It appears that Adix, our long-time behind the scenes manager is still getting used to conforming to college, as well as getting a new job, giving him almost no time to work on the site. This means we may be forced to look elsewhere for someone else to step up and take on a huge load of helping revamp the site. The person needed must know HTML, PHP, MYSQL, and CSS, and must have enough free time in the next couple of weeks to put New Element as a high priority, at least until the site is up and running. As much as I would love to continue working with Adix, I feel a sense of urgency that NE3 is needed immediately, to help curb the dwindling enthusiasm for both the community and the game itself. With RCT3 coming out extremely soon, I believe that NE3 needs to be right there with it, and the two should bring a resurgance to the online community.

I've also noticed that a good deal of the cemented NE parkmaking legends have really put RCT in the back of their minds. Parkmakers like Butterfinger, cBass (who has seemingly disappeared), Fatha', Gutterflower, posix, Prince_Ashitaka, and Twisted haven't really given the community much to work with. It's only been the much newer additions to the Parkmakers that have really kept the spirit alive. People such as slob, Kevin, and Phatage. So it seems to be that a massive slimming down of the Parkmaker List must be put into place...I'm bringing the prestige back into the parkmaking list. If you're inactive for a long period of time, you're cut, regardless of talent. I'm looking ONLY for people who play the game reasonably often, and play it well. No more watered down version of the Parkmaker List in an attempt to compile 'the best in the world'. Who needs the best in the world if they just sit on their ass? I will be looking to possibly recruit some future Parkmakers as well. There have already been two undisclosed parkmakers added to the NE3 roster, and a new wannabe collabo is secretly being passed around to discover the third (and possibly fourth) new parkmaker.

There will be about a month long pause in action after the QFBT-X to Head2Head3, in order to give people a chance to work on the backbone of parkmaking, the actual parks. I haven't recieved a Spotlight-worthy park in just about three months, and I refuse to post a Spotlight just for the sake of posting one. If need be, there will never be another Spotlight if I don't get a quality enough one. I guess the site will be forced to live on Runner-Ups alone until some of the more talented parkmakers start to pick it up.

As far as banned members, all members will be let back with the new site opening. That includes sfk, Doc, Pym, Turtleman, and anyone else I may have forgotten. However, for the first time, a minor set of rules will be implimented in New Element. Cursing and freedom of speech will still be allowed, as it always be, just there will be a few guidelines so people know when they've gone too far, since it seems to be too hard to figure out for some people. The staff has been rechosen for NE3, and I will be contacting them immediately. If you were originally picked to be a moderator or administrator for NE3 and aren't contacted in the next week, then you have been replaced unfortunately.

I've also decided to make RCTFiesta a monthly event. Adix' idea to bring RCT back to the forefront of New Element was one of the most progressive days we've had at New Element in just about a year. Still, we shouldn't need the Fiesta in order for people to post screens of parks. That's what the Advertising District is for, and I'm tired of seeing absolutely no big names post their work in there anymore. I have decided to make a bi-monthly requirement for all NE Parkmakres to post at least one screen every two months of whatever they are working on. If you wanna be part of the crew, you've gotta help out...simple as that.
  • MightyMouse%s's Photo
    Amen to that. Lots of great ideas scattered around in there, and I'm looking foward to seeing whose added and removed from the parkmaker list and the NE3 staff. Also, I'm extremly excited that the fiesta gets to come back every month. Very nice information line up, as well.
  • posix%s's Photo
    i'm afraid the actions against the continuing downfall of ne, which had already become most obvious about a year ago, are taken a little bit too late. loading up pressure on the parkmakers will make the situation worse. stop making a competition out of rct and things might potentially get better.
    you seem to think that an active parkmaker is automatically a good parkmaker. sure, you can make use of him for the site's benefit. but the most legendary parks have never come from those over active ones. quality takes time.

in my opinion, the most striking of ne's current problems is the too little rct that is on the go. it's kind of ironic that a site that's about rct needs an rct-day. no wonder that those "cemented parkmakers" leave when it's just so unmotivating to post your screens. you're not going to get constructive criticism anyway.
    it is all just a kindergarten here. all about status. or more precisely, your "flame-skill". and the few who are playing rct only want to be winners. they want to gain status with their rct work. they post screens only to show-off their new oh so great stuff. if people don't gaze at it and say it's shit a new flamewar is about to begin. see foozycoaster.
    but anway, you don't want to hear that...
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Maybe the first step is to reform the attitude a little. There's always a sluggish point, but some steps are needed. I'm not sure all that pressure is needed (such as requiring the posting of screens), but other stuff, like contests and stuff, are great ideas.

I'm pretty sure RCT 3 will bring another nice revival. After all, RCT 2 certainly did, and that was supposedly a "bad" game in the general consensus!
  • Titan%s's Photo
    I think it may be a little harsh to take away people's parkmaker spots... It might be better to just put inactive ones on the retired list, and once they come back and have something to show for it, give them their spot back.

Otherwise I agree with about everything.

I think the parkmakers should post atleast one screen every RCT Fest, to keep it interesting.
  • mantis%s's Photo

[font="tahoma"]you seem to think that an active parkmaker is automatically a good parkmaker.

it's kind of ironic that a site that's about rct needs an rct-day. no wonder that those "cemented parkmakers" leave when it's just so unmotivating to post your screens. you're not going to get constructive criticism anyway.[/font]

In the first part of this quote you evoke a sentiment on iris' part that he actually never voiced. In the second part you pretty much echo his sentiments.

I'm not sure I totally agree with cutting some of those people, and the screens thing will be interesting. However, i'm all for bringing back RCT in terms of forum % so any measures towards that would be well received. Also, i'm hoping NE3 comes sooner rather than later as it will mean a fresh start.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    Yeah, I have been pretty worthless lately. My recent slow in-game work rate; more emphasis on 'perfecting' my work, rather than just getting it done, is kind of discouraging me from starting any more big projects (or doing much of anything else, for that matter). It's the lack of ambition and motivation. That, and RCT is just no longer one of my premier hobbies.
    I sure wouldn't blame you if you cut me. I probably deserve it. Kind of unfair, too, when there are those out there who might give anything for my parkmaker spot, and have the work output to show for it as well.

Don't get me wrong though, I am doing some stuff.....

I'm still not seeing this "downfall of NE" though. I think it's just a sluggish point, as Cork put it. You may really be on to something with the RCT Fiesta thing.
  • rctfreak2000%s's Photo
    Aww, so much happening that I'm not a part of...

Ah well. That's ok, I'm still here for NE3. I'd help with the site, but due to recent time constraints, the only thing I could possibly offer would be the ability to add some content for you here and there, and depending on the problem, I might be able to correct any errors on the site due to Invision Board or coding issues.

You know you can count on me if you really need me.

Good luck with the site.
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo

I'm tired of seeing absolutely no big names post their work in there anymore.

So why not encourage the 'little' names? There is lots of hidden talent in the Ad District but no one will give them a chance. (not talking about me)
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

Matt...

IM me later so we can talk.

Raven-SDI
    §
  • posix%s's Photo
    mantis, that were too completely different things.
    and i said that iris seems to think...

anyway, that's not important. what's important is how we can make a brighter future for ne.
  • natelox%s's Photo

There will be about a month long pause in action after the QFBT-X to Head2Head3, in order to give people a chance to work on the backbone of parkmaking, the actual parks.

That right there is some great news! My computer died on me last week. I can't do anything with it and I cannot access any of my work (I'm using my mom's computer). Luckily, a friend of mine, who is great with computers, is going to recover all my files and reformat my computer. And I'll be buying a new computer this weekend which should prevent problems like this from happening in the future. Hopefully by Monday I'll be able to start working on Ouest again. On top of that issue, this week I have worked from Sunday to Friday, 6 days in a row, and next week I work Monday-Friday and Sunday, another six day week. I don't start work until 10am, and that gives me time to work on my parks in the morning, but instead of playing for perhaps and 1.5 or 2 hours, it's more like 1 hour at a time.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Thanks iris. It's really admirable how you continue to hold this whole thing together. Lesser people would have called it quits a long time ago. So anyway, I just wanted to say that you have my support with all things NE3 and whatever you want to do with it in the future. I know I haven't been around much lately. It's just been a tough time for me. But I'm always happy to find NE here when I need it and I don't know that it's possible, but I hope the spirit of this place lasts forever. I don't know how I can help other than offering moral support at this time, but if you need anything, just let me know and I'll do what I can.

Vive la NE.
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    I agree with the vast majority of things you said in that post. I'm looking forward to the release of NE3, and the new features, whatever they are... Go Iris, Go NE and all that jazz... However, there are some small niggling things that bug me.

If a parkmaker is supposedly inactive, at least try to speak to them before dumping them. I think they've put the work and the effort in to become parkmakers, they deserve a little bit of gratitude for helping this site.

I disagree with the bi-monthly posting screens thing. What if a parkmaker doesn't want to advertise their work? I personally feel a little twinge of excitement when i'm looking at (for example) a Posix park that was never advertised, and so is completely new. It just feels like there is far too much pressure being put on parkmakers to "perform", in what is essentially a small part in most people's lives.

Just something to think about...
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I admit that I would love to see alot more parkmakers advertise their works but it almost seems wrong to drop them out of their positions for not advertising.

Otherwise I look forward to the future of the site, be it new updates (etc.) or accual parks.

ride6
  • TheGuardian%s's Photo
    well.. what do you expect? if they show their work on Ad District they'll get answers like.

"I think you used too much brick"
    or
    "I don't like the purple why not use brown"

Why do you think i went underground and i only build parks the way I LIKE them to be, and not conform to here. everyone has their style, for example, i love making peep-accessible maps, so that people can enjoy the park that i built. not so much as art. like Lakeville Fields was rather old one and so was my New Orleans, all of which are peep=accessible and operational parks, not so much as architecural asthetic beauty but more of ability to make your park work

If parkmakers haven't made park within the last year, they should be cut, and that's what i believe, if they have made alteast one or two they should atleast be contacted if their still doing RCT or not, because i kjnow myself its not easy nor fast to build parks like the ones you guys make, or for that matter the ones i make.

I'm hoping to fully re-engage with the NE park making groups, but what i hope most of all is that a varied group of members are picked, those who are consistent in parkbuilding, who thoguh may not have the best park-looks, they make the park look fun and enjoyable, for the computer user and what would be the "guests" of the park. something MORE then just "look its pretty"
    In that way, i think you'd make RCT building more fun to do and compete in, I can't build a park like Toon or Corckscrewed because it takes too long and also it dosent make it fun. and that's what this game is all about.

otherwise, i agree with just about everything you just said there Iris.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I disagree that it's not fun. I find it very, very entertaining and prehapse even a real rush to build something I know is good or prehapse even great.

And if you want the best of both worlds look at Rift Valley or Escalante River Falls because they are not only beautiful architectually but they're also peep-friendly.

ride6
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    About posting screens, it isn't just to get advice. A lot of people do post screens to get advice and hopefully they get something useful out of that. There's a lot of needless bashing that goes on. People who can't control their ego probably enjoy the feeling of superiority they get by looking at a new parkmaker's screens and saying something like "My advice is you quit now cause you suck!" but hopefully there are enough people here who actually do care and go out of their way to leave helpful advice.

But for myself, I never posted screens to get advice. Not even when I was beginning. The fun aspect about posting screens for me is that it takes a long time to finish a park so while I'm working on it, if there's something I'm excited about, I like to post a couple screens and share it with everyone. Maybe people will say it sucks. Yeah, people are like that. I might actually get some good advice out of it though. Or maybe people will tell me it looks great and that gets me excited again about finishing the park. So if it takes me 9 months to finish a park, every couple months I can post a few screens and people will see that something is going on and get excited about that and I can reconnect with the community a bit and re-energize myself. And I think that's iris' point here. If parkmakers work on a park for 9 months, well that's great when it gets released but the rest of the year how are they working to keep parkmaking alive at the site? They aren't. I don't think a few screens every couple months is too much to ask. Part of being a parkmaker is being a spokesperson for this site. It isn't all about you. iris has recognized your skills and picked you to be a special part of the site, and given you a page to post all of your parks. That's cool. I think you should give a little bit back to keep the site going in return.
  • Critic%s's Photo
    I do have to agree with the statement someone made earlier about there not being enough limelight over the "little" names.

Those who don't win things but still consistently post decent releases in the Ad District deserve more than the minimalistic comments that are being given right now... It really shows there's more of a lack of interest in the game than there was when the Ad District was busy with releases and such.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    This is late, but about the screens and inactive issue.

For screens, some people may not be big advertisers (like RRP, but thats not a good example since he is inactive) so that may be the reason for lack of screens. You mentioned a rule that says each parkmaker must post a screen of work every month (Correct me if im wrong), which I think is a good idea, assuming that each parkmaker does not have an extremely busy period in their lives (which seniors applying to college can vouch for).

The inactive issue goes back to the last sentence of my previous paragraph, but as it pertains to me... I released a park within the last 6 months, so I personally don't consider myself inactive. I did not participate in QFTB because I was away at USC when it was announced (And I mentioned to you I might have participated since it was summertime). If a parkmaker has released a large scale park in the past 6 months, I don't think it is fair to call them inactive. Now, if you call vTd or RRP inactive (tho he did post something in RCTFiesta), then its a fair assessment. Not complaining here, because if Im stripped of my parkmaker spot it won't change the quality of my work. It is just a label and I could live without it if need be.

Anyways, I like the idea of NE3, probably will be a big success. Nice post bud.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading