RCT Discussion / Windows 7 & RCT

• Brent%s's Photo
    Just to let ya guys know... I've gotten RCT and RCT2 running on the new beta copy of Windows 7. Just gotta run them as Windows 98 programs... I never got RCT2 to work on Vista, so I'm kinda psyched and hungry to play for the first time in almost a year.

:party:

And the no LL/RCT2 disc things work just fine. :)

Posted Image

Edited by The Beta Factor, 28 December 2008 - 11:02 PM.

• Ride6%s's Photo
    Pwn... One of the main reasons I stuck with XP for this computer (new laptop, Sager 8660) is so that I could run my old games that would almost certainly have issues with Vista. Nice to hear the next generation of Windows will finally have true backward compatibility.

Ride6
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    How does 8cars work with it?
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Hmmm good question... anything in particular you want me to try out with it? Thanks for reminding me to get that (and SoB).
  • posix%s's Photo
    that is very good news. thanks brent :)
  • Todd Lee%s's Photo
    Would you mind testing sob and 8 cars (1.302 if you have it)? Zero clearance with sob and restore with 8 cars..

Thanks Brent. It's great to hear you can play again.
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    Diamond Heights FTW!!
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    is this the leaked version? i assume it is. how does it run?
  • Brent%s's Photo
    It's been pretty smooth so far... have had it running for about 36 hours so far. The screen has gone glitchy a couple times for one or two seconds, but you just close a window and it seems to stop, lol. Not perfect of course, as yeah... it is a beta. The laptop I'm on is just about a year old and it's having no problems at all with graphics, ram or anything else (I've never actually seen/heard min specs needed). And like I said, any problem with running old software is easily fixed with the Compatibility feature, which never quite worked that well in Vista.

Anyways, I'll test the trainers out later when I get home and report back.
  • Brent%s's Photo

Would you mind testing sob and 8 cars (1.302 if you have it)? Zero clearance with sob and restore with 8 cars..

Thanks Brent. It's great to hear you can play again.

Just tried it out... works just fine. Had to fix my first gen freefall in KAA so gave that the guinea pig treatment, lol... Restore Clearances worked, zero clearances worked, begin/execute build through things work with SoB... it's golden. :party:
  • Todd Lee%s's Photo
    Thanks Brent! :mantis:
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    I also am up on Windows 7 and I like what I see so far. Will be trying RCT2 later today.

Anyone else on 7?
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    im intrersted to see you have Rct1 working on a window. it says in the readme it doesnt work.
    as for the computer stuff, im running on a crappy old thing, it is in no way high tech or state of the art. i have pathetic ram and a monitor that cant take videos of rct cause its crap.

(the long queue on snake river falls anoys me XD)
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Does the window mode in LL still require the really annoying click when you move the mouse out of the window? im hoping to install windows 7 next week but it would be lovely to know before :)
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Really annoying click?
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    In XP when the games in window mode you cant select anything not in the game window (such as icons on the desktop) unless you right click first.

Sometimes the game behaves as if your right clicking in the game window anyway and deletes something on screen. can be very annoying. theres a mention of it in the codex thread certainly and maybe Posixs LL guide.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Thought that was what you were talking about... I have RCT1 open now and you no longer have to right-click first to open anything on the desktop. Nice.

But now RCT2 isn't working. The exe is messed up for some reason... trying to fix it now.

And uhhhh can anyone up LL?

Edited by The Beta Factor, 12 January 2009 - 08:02 PM.

• Roomie%s's Photo
    now that IS sweet. its the main annoyance for me in XP and as i dont use my little MSI wind for much else than RCT and the internet i might try installing Windows 7 later today. :)
  • Rub!X%s's Photo
    Yes, i partly work for microsoft, and they have released the full beta along with product keys (i can get your copy activated if you want), and 8 cars and RCT2 work perfectly, windows really dug themselves out of the grave with this release.

//Rubix
  • posix%s's Photo
    wait, i thought the beta download ended late january? i believe it was 21st jan. is it still legal to download it today?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading