General Chat / The Official "What book are you reading?" Thread

• Louis!%s's Photo

I didn't get Catch 22. It was an ok book to read, just I didn't get the whole amazing thing people say it is.

• MCI%s's Photo

I should read more often...

• MorganFan%s's Photo
    Agh, my old posts are so cringy.
    I loved Catch-22, it's one of my favorites. It's a great metaphor for the state of the US in that era. I'm glad I got to read Cloud Atlas, it's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. And I'm currently reading the Martian.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Cloud Atlas was really good.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Im currently stuck on If on a winters night a traveller by italo calvino. Its really good but ive been super busy
  • nin%s's Photo

61D-pud2o5L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

catch 22 is the only creative work that's ever killed a character as a "death of Innocence" metaphor and made it something profound

• Faas%s's Photo

I just finished Around the World in 80 Days

Pretty cool to read about travelling in the 19th century and the adventures they went through were pretty cool. For the rest it was pretty outdated, but an entertaining read.

7 out of 10 for me. 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

51UX54hnBvL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    Sleep Thieves by Stanley Cohen is my nonfiction atm. Really interesting look at how poorly we sleep on aggregate, and how important it is.

The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn for fiction. Now it's call Limitless to match with the movie/tv series. In my opinion, it's better than either - much more realistic and dark.
  • Faas%s's Photo
    I just finished Deep South by Paul Theroux as well as Catcher in the Rye.
    Now I'm reading Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut.
  • nin%s's Photo

Just ordered Batman Knightfall Volume 1. Stoked.

• Lotte%s's Photo

I recently got around to reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I know it sounds a bit weird but the bookm makes some of the most compelling arguments in favour of a futuristic dystopia I've ever read. I'm not going to compare it to 1984 like people always enjoy doing, both of the books are too different in their represented themes and what points they try to get across.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

^ I love Brave New World and Huxley in general.  Huxley himself is awfully fun to read up on, and his nonfiction is great too.  Brave New World is an interesting look at how a dystopia can be an apparent utopia.  There's some obvious similarities to 1984, but they examine two different and almost opposite dystopian futures.

• Xtreme97%s's Photo

I have around 200 pages left to read of A Dance With Dragons, so I'm probably going to finish it by Sunday night. My original goal was to finish the series before season 6 of the show began and I'm very happy to have got there.

• wayniepainie%s's Photo

Just published a novel

Owen Pendragon Guild of the Round Table

You can check it out here:-

http://www.authorhou...d=SKU-001101243

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Our Band Could Be Your Life

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Sharing the love for Catch-22. I first read it when I was 14 (I think) and it was very important to me on many levels, not least in improving my English (I borrowed my dad's copy in English). I've re-read it twice, last time I think was two years ago. I was also positively surprised by the 1970 film adaptation, much better than I had expected.

Currently reading In the First Circle by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn and a compilation volume of poetry by Hiromi Ito.

• Jappy%s's Photo

The Railway Series, by the reverend W. Awdry.

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

As in Thomas the Tank Engine? Is the series actually based on the characters in those books?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading