RCT Discussion / Design statistics

• Ling%s's Photo
    I tried to compile a comprehensive list of the coaster types used in every design (for both RCTLL and RCT2) currently in the database. It's not perfect because of some hacks/merges and general classification stuff (for instance, the one RCT2 rapids ride got lumped into "special" because making a whole category for it seems strange), but I think some of the stronger trends are interesting. First, the straight-up numbers:

Posted Image

RCTLL graph:
    Posted Image

RCT2 graph:
    Posted Image

I did something like this (more of a brief glance) before deciding on a suspended coaster for Skyline. I'd like to see some of the less popular ride types fill in a bit more, rather than seeing almost 25% B&M inverts in RCTLL and 26% woodies in RCT2.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    I think one of the discussion points here is why we have such a hard time thinking of anything but B&Ms as design material.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Particularly B&M inverts, across both games. Especially weird considering they don't even have the largest array of element options (quarter loop, vertical track, and wide flat-to-slope pieces).
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    I was thinking about using the Steel looping track for the design I'm working on, partially because it's underused. Do you think a lot of this is the appearance of the track, and the flow between elements?
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I think the main weakness is that it doesn't feel like a focal ride. See SSSammy's recent design submission. Basically the epitome of classic Schwarzkopf out-and-back design, but the overall reaction is "nice, but boring". I think a submission like this that actually nabs design will have to have extremely strong surroundings, with other supporting rides and an extensive theme. It might come down to the landscape you want to work with.
  • Luketh%s's Photo
    I sorta mentioned this in a slightly off-topic post in the "Will We See a Spotlight in 2013?" thread, actually. It's cool to see some actual numbers put to my assumption; I wonder what the ride counts would look like if someone went through all of the parks as well and counted ride types. I'll continue my thought from the Spotlight thread below in case anyone cares to read.

RCT has a ton of coaster types; some of which don't even exist in the real world anymore (and some of which never did exist in the first place as far as I know). Sure, some coasters aren't spectacular; I doubt we'll ever see a Togo heartline twister design hit the front page.

Perhaps we've seen so many B&Ms and Woodies in the design category because those seem to be some of the only new rides being built by theme parks nowadays. I'm not so well-versed in what's going on in the thrill industry, but through my limited observations I've seen a lot more B&Ms and wooden coasters getting the spotlight each off-season than I have Arrows, Vekomas, etc. In this regard, I can see how builders choose the same rides for their designs -- they're new and exciting and it'd be cool to simulate that in RCT.

But I feel as if things are getting a tad stale in the design department. Every other design seems to be some sort of a B&M. It's not as if these designs have lost any quality over time; they've simply lost some novelty. One can only do so much when designing a realistic B&M or wooden coaster.

This game is a medium for creative expression; at what point will B&M rides become as cliche as taking a picture on your iPhone, putting it through an Instagram filter, and claiming that you're a photographic genius?

Again, this game is a medium for creative expression. We all begin with the same canvas -- the same blank, flat patch of grass -- and build whatever our hearts desire. Why not desire something more unique?

Just thinking, I suppose. I've got a whooping 0 accolades to my name (so far), so its not like I can speak with any sort of authority or tell you from experience that unique design ideas pay off or anything like that. :SA:
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    b&m inverts are pretty

nuff said
  • RMM%s's Photo

b&m inverts are pretty

nuff said

exactly. took my text outta my fingers.
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo
    Well I know that I like to use the B&M track type because of the vast element selection. One of the things that really bothered me when I first got my hands on RCT2 was the fact that only woodies, intamins, B&Ms, loopers, and steel minis allowed the use of curved hills that are banked. Still irks me, but I've gotten over it for the most part. Also, the flat-to-steep transitions offered by only arrow/morgan hypers, intamins and non-inverting B&Ms - WTF!? what about corks, woodies, mine trains, loopers, inverts, and others?

Anyway, got a little sidetracked there, sorry about that.

---

TL;DR: I like the track piece selection of B&M's in RCT.
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    This is really cool, Ling. Love this kind of stuff. I'd say multi-loopers are easily the most exciting to build and watch, so they take spotlight so to speak.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    B&M Inverts make for the best layouts in the game.

[Best Steel Layout 2012 <3]
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    Interesting figures.
    You have to explain one thing to me though: what the hell is an arrow flyer?!
    Would be Vekoma I guess :p
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Oh... yeah. ._. My bad. I've always been partial to floorless coasters, but then again apparently so has everyone else.
  • Majordomo%s's Photo
    I guess bobsleds and flying turns are incapable of winning designs :(
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    What were all the "special" ones?
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    I don't know if you've ever tried building one in RCT, but the layout options are very restrictive.
    B&Ms have the widest array of track to play with, really. The tight-turn-to-slope piece, one-turn helix pieces in the invert, large half-loops.
  • Majordomo%s's Photo

I don't know if you've ever tried building one in RCT, but the layout options are very restrictive.

I guess that was in response to me. Yeah, the track options can be restrictive, but that doesn't mean they can't be good designs. Right?
  • Ling%s's Photo

What were all the "special" ones?

Stuff that was made out of very different track types and styles through varying degrees of hacking. See Fright Nights or Lumeria. I also ended up classifying Firefly as special since I didn't want to have the number of rides fail to match the number of design wins. Basically anything that couldn't be mostly or completely matched to an existing RCT style got lumped into "special".
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    This is also a great reminder that the database is awesome and we're lucky to have community members who came up with and executed it
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    It will become even more awesome in the next edition of NE

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading