(Archive) Advertising District / Heartland Rivers

• Roberto Roboparks%s's Photo
    Well, I think it's time to show some of the stuff I've been working. With RCT3 working as fast a snail I'm putting more time in RCT2 for the moment.

First; a brief introduction. Since I came back here at NE, most of the RCT2 parks I've seen here were either multi-themed park with a lake in the middle, or huge unrealistic parks with shitty looking custom scenery (no offense). I wanted to do something different, I wanted to go back to those traditional, semi-realistic parks that were once made in RCT1. So that's what I did. This park obviously isn't that breathtaking or groundbreaking as other RCT2 parks, but IMO it does capture that warm, traditional feel.

Now, enough of this gibberish, onto the screens.

Posted Image
    On your left a scrambler, an arcade to the right, and you can also see part of the station for Rolling Thunder, a PTC out and back wooden coaster

Posted Image
    Random architecture

Posted Image
    Random architecture, and the final turnaround of Eagle, and Arrow suspended coaster

Posted Image
    A part of the Schwarzkopf shuttle model, and Rotovator on the right. I'm especially proud of the building in the middle, but it actually looks better from a different angle. I was also surprised by how good Toon's Spanish fences look with the 'mechanical' theme

That's it for now. Progress on the park is going very good, however serious business is going to take a lot of time off my hands starting next week, so the construction will go slower then.

Anyways, if you have any comments, please post them.

Robo :yup:
  • Steve%s's Photo
    It's wonderful, it truely is.

Thing is though, the "random architecture" doesn't really serve a purpose, does it? Maybe its just me. I try to make every building I create have some sort of purpose. But hey, its all really great stuff.

Keep it up.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    good work, i like the LL touch.
    The archy is way simple, and steve's also right about random archy.
    But still great!

Wick
  • sfgadv02%s's Photo
    I really like your stuff RRP, yea and its too bad parks now-a-days seem to have all these fancy architecture. The realistic stuff are gone [beside Drew and a few others], but glad you have bought it back to life. I always love realistic stuff and this is wonderful. :)
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Warm and traditional sums it up. You definitely are bridging the gap well between RCT1 and RCT2, as these screens feel more RCT1-ish than 2-ish to me. The architecture is quite pleasant, but one thing that really bothers me (just a personal preference tho) are your "X"-shaped roofs versus "V"-shaped roofs. Theres something about the "X"-shaped 2x2 roofs that just doesnt look right; Almost like the lack of angles creates a lack of asthetics for me. But you really do get an A++ for atmosphere and capturing the warm, traditional feel that most parks stray away from these days. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • CoasterForce%s's Photo
    It's very plain and lacks any true theme, but the architecture is solid with nothing to fault. The individual buildings are average at best, but what makes them acceptable is the blending you have going on.

Although I'm not feelin' any theme of any sort, and there still is room for improvement, its not looking bad so far.
  • sfgadv02%s's Photo

It's very plain and lacks any true theme.....

He isnt going for any theme, its semi-realistic.....
  • jon%s's Photo
    It's OK. It's not the kind of style that I like so that's what is really stopping it from wowing me. It's not bad though but not the best from an Parkmaker. It's the roofing that I really detest. I dunno why but I just do. And 2x2ism is another thing that I don't like. Apart from that, it's not bad but not the best either. It's nice to see you returning to the game though but your LL stuff is much much better.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Personally I don't like it much. Those round windows were old when they came out. Everything else about it is alright though, I guess. Those round windows just ruin it imo.

ride6
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    I don't really like it.

- The pathing is too boring for me, it's just long stretches.
    - The architecture is 2x2, and it's all the same forms everywhere... Also, there's too much grey for me.

As you said, it's different, and it does hark back to the days where themes were less of an issue, and the park itself took more priority. I applaud you for that. I just like your LL stuff so much more...
  • Drew%s's Photo
    I really like it. It reminds me of what people made when custom scenery was first being used...
    The one thing I don't like is that you shouldn't have those chain fences line up against the walls. They're pointless.

Looks great though.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Skipped the comments so I might be repeating what others have said.

You have WAY too much 2x2 architecture.

RCT 2 allows for a lot more complicated buildings, and you really need to take advantage of that if you're to produce anything worth a second look. Right now, it looks rather LL-ish, which, while not bad, doesn't really produce any raised eyebrows in RCT 2. It's a style adaptation you need to make. RCT 2's main strength with its custom scenery is allowing great structures to be made. Take full advantage of that.
  • hpg%s's Photo

It's very plain and lacks any true theme

Ever heard of an amusement park? Not all parks are theme parks. Most in the real world aren't.

Looks great robo, especially considering the small amount of custom scenery you are using. A little more custom scenery may be a good thing though. Nothing completely bizarre or out of place, but more of the 1/4 bricks and things of that nature would allow more detail. I know you have a very realistic style, but that could be improved greatly with detail.

I really like classic realistic parks like this, and I wish there were more people who built like you do. Keep up the good work.
  • CoasterForce%s's Photo

Ever heard of an amusement park? Not all parks are theme parks. Most in the real world aren't.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really feeling a traditional feel either. And of course I know traditional style, but it's just, I don't see how a bunch of plain buildings and flowers can get that. I'm not feeling that extra magic.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^It's those round and square windows, I sware. I love the 'normal' square windows, like the ones that come with the game for brick and wood walls. The 2X2 archetecture looks pretty sloppy these days, sure it was awasome at first but after everyone and their n00b brother started using it because it was "easy to make g00d buildings" that way. I don't really have a problem with it if there was a little 1/4 tile roofing like what John did in Disney's Mini Seas and those evil windows windows were gone. It would fix enough it my eyes to make it beyond tolerable.

As is I'm just not feeling it. This doesn't even do the looking like LL thing well, or nearly as well as Junya Boy pulled off in MI:LAS. Maybe I'm just blinded by what I've already seen.

ride6
  • Geoff%s's Photo
    This park really does capture that traditional feeling. I quite like it.

I'm not too fond of the round/dome buildings. I've never been a fan of those.

Keep up the good work though.
  • yeshli2nuts%s's Photo
    i dont like it at all. there is nothing in those screens that any noob cant do. ok, you say thats how you want it to look...what if i say i want to make a shitty park and just throw in a bunch of scenery, will you say its good because thats what im aiming for? i believe most buildings in amusement parks serve a purpose. none of the buildings except for the blue roof building in the first pic have any openings or doors for people to go into. the archy you have is plain and unefective. sorry, but you can do much better.
  • John%s's Photo
    Traditional this park is. Realistic it is not.
    How does simplistic traditionalist architecture equate to realism?
  • Jacko Shanty%s's Photo
    Gosh I love this. I wish custom scenery was never invented so people could find creative ways to use the materials they have... like what everyone did with LL.

You're totally right about the lake-in-the-middle park and the custom scenery parks.. btw.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    nog msn of zo robo? heb je nooit meer online gezien..

ejj, en het ziet er toppie uit, alleen zou ik zoals verboven al vermeld niet zo maar gebouwtjes plaatsen. Die "eagle" ziet er nu al fantastisch uit. een heerlijk plaatje hou die in zn remmen gaat.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading