RCT Discussion / Bi Weekly Challenge?

• Roomie%s's Photo
    Hey guys.
    We have quite a few comps going on at the moment. but seeing sfgadv02's Haunted habour remake gave me an idea. A challenge set each week by myself and maybe a few others. Every 2 weeks or so (possibly using varying timelines for the complexity of the challenge.) Something different each time to keep it fresh.

Ranging from "build the best coaster of a type (with various restrictions) " to
    "convert this scenario into a small and passable NE park" and whatever else people can think of.

Then at the end of the time scale a poll is posted of the parks posted for entry and a winner selected.

Nothing Complicated just a bit of fun every few weeks. with some random ideas thrown in for fun. The whole thing would be forum based.

Feel free to gun this idea down in a ball of flames. Or chuck in your own suggestions.

Edit: yes i am stupid... moved to the correct forum... roomie
  • Rage%s's Photo
    hmmm.... intresting :yup:

Sounds like a great idea! Should solve the problem of people's workrate that occasionally dissapears if you keep this going every few weeks.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    sounds cool.
    But every second week? There wont be much time to build on other things.

Wick
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    just one of a few ideas. monthley would work too.
    forgot not everyone works at my speed lol.
  • Rage%s's Photo
    I think bi-weekly would be best since itll be very intense and exciting.

Anyway, you wont have to do one every two weeks. You'll just take part if you got some spare time right? Or will you have to take part every 2 weeks?
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    the idea was as a kind of informal thing. whenever you feel like it. but is the community big enough to get more than 2 or 3 entries a go?
  • A14504%s's Photo
    what about some sort of weekly "best update award", or "best screen shot of the week" award.
    could be very interesting
  • Rage%s's Photo

the idea was as a kind of informal thing. whenever you feel like it. but is the community big enough to get more than 2 or 3 entries a go?

I like the sound of this. So basiclly every 2 weeks they'll be a challenge set and whoever has the time can give it a go? Cool.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    i actually had a bit of a different idea, you might like a lot. I'll talk about it on aim if you're around. Iris said NE was too full with contests atm, but i'm sure if you (blitzsama will probably like to help out too) and me could work it all out we'd have a great contest. Then again, it's not really the same thing as what you're suggesting here. More restrictions :D.
  • Fenix%s's Photo
    I really like your idea Gutterflower. It would really get more people involved on the site. My problem with contests, and probably other people as well, are that they really take a lot of commitment. Sometimes our lives are too hectic to commit for a long time, but it would still be fun to be in a competition once in a while.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    having spoken to Evil i like his idea as well as mine :p
    some random challenges i had ideas for would be

"design an NE logo using RCT track and scenery"
    giving a workbench with an unconnected lifthill and a few elements and seeing who can create the best coaster from them
    "take the best screenshot of any park."
    "best coaster below the treeline of a set workbench"

Something different each week

However i think i will keep this idea till after Evil has given his a go.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Even I, with my limited capacity for playing RCT, could have a go at those. Sounds great!
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    You gave me another idea with your first post that might be kind of cool. Make some kind of small park, maybe group maybe individual, and then remake it again the next week. Like take the old park and see what you can add to it. Or maybe have one person make it and then another person take a shot at remaking it. You know like how you'll write multiple drafts to get it perfect, the same kind of idea. And the interesting thing would be to see how people improve upon their past work over time. Anyway, that was just an idea for a contest that would be a little different than what we usually have. Not really a contest though, more like an experiment.
  • Valp%s's Photo
    ^ That... sounds awesome. I think a mega park would be fine, and it would be just one giant collabo- each person taking one week then sending it off to the next. Theoretically, it just might end up being a "perfect park"... but yeah, I like the sound of it.

And the screen contest is a nice little idea itself. Simple, with really no skill of RCT necessary.
  • Rage%s's Photo
    Hmm that would be quite interesting. How about at the start of the month you have to build a smallish park to the specifications set by Gutterflower and then each week he throws in random things you have to do to your park and then you hand them in at the end of the month. Then we could have a kinda mini park wars thing. Thatd be quite cool.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Hmmm that sort of thing sounds like a modified park wars lol.
    The idea really was to have a competition you didnt have to enter each week. So a long running park kind of destroys that idea.
  • shameless%s's Photo
    i really like the idea of the informal competition. there are a number of contests going on but a lot of them are long and require a commitment, and some of them arent available for everybody to participate in. but this gives any body who wants to a chance, whenever they want to. i think these parks will be easier to build becuase they wont require a lot of dedication. so im all for gutterflower's forum based every 2 week mini competition thing.
  • mantis%s's Photo

having spoken to Evil i like his idea as well as mine :p
    some random challenges i had ideas for would be

"design an NE logo using RCT track and scenery"
    giving a workbench with an unconnected lifthill and a few elements and seeing who can create the best coaster from them
    "take the best screenshot of any park."
    "best coaster below the treeline of a set workbench"

Something different each week

However i think i will keep this idea till after Evil has given his a go.

Those sorts of things appeal to me the most. Simple, short, sweet.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading