H2H3 / WEEK 6: Hurricanes vs Flying Germans

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Which is the better park?

1. Hurricanes: La Barranca Roja Grande 30 votes [29.70%]
    Percentage of vote: 29.70%
  2. Flying Germans: Cliffs of Utopia 71 votes [70.30%]
    Percentage of vote: 70.30%
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Whoa! Corky, you're weren't kiddin' when you said we were in for a treat this week.

La Barranca Roja Grande by The Hurricanes

I was quite impressed with the overview of this park, but that changed slightly when I viewed it in game. The architecture was a little too simple for my liking and was not dispersed evenly enough throughout the park imo. To say the least, it was "clumpy". I also felt the colors blended too much and there wasnt enough contrast. Those woods walls didn't really help anything either. The woodie was decent, but had some strange "bumps" in it that really disctracted from the flow. The bridge was very cool, but seemed un-needed, gimicky and not very fitting for the theme. Overall, a nice park, but not the best I've seen from the canes' this season

Cliffs of Utopia by The Flying Germans

Wow, what a gorgeous park. I'm pretty sure I know who had a hand on this. The park had atmosphere galore and the way the architure was built into the cliff sides was just stunning. The woodie was VERY well-done imo; I especially loved that first drop. I think the most impressive thing was how many rides were actually incorporated into this park without making it look cluttered or over-themed. I mean 4 flat rides, a monsterous woodie, a go-kart track and a splash boats ride; it really shows skill to incorporate that many rides into such a small area but still maintaining atmosphere and flow of architecture. I commend which ever Germans built this park, because it demonstrates loads of skill and was near flawless.

Excellent matchup, but my vote goes to the Germans.
  • Geoff%s's Photo
    My vote goes to the Hurricanes.

Their entry was fun, and different. I haven't seen that spanish theme in a while, so I was pleased. The bridge was VERY well done, and nice eyecandy. The coaster was fun and different, I really enjoyed it.

The German's entry was nice and all, but I didn't see the real skill to their architecture. There was obviously just a lot of stacking involved. I love that type of block, but it was horribly over-used and killed :(

Nice job to the both of you though..
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    The score of this match at the time it was called is:
    Hurricanes 25
    Flying Germans 53

The Hurricanes suffer their first loss of the season and drop to 3-1-1
    The Flying Germans improve to 2-3-0 and jump into second place in the South over the idle IIIcons.

The Hurricanes' La Barranca Roja Grande was made by... hobbes and Drew.

The Flying Germans' Cliffs of Utopia was made by valp and X-Sector. Noooo... actually, NOT X-Sector. The other guy also has a hyphenated name where one half is a letter and the other is a word that starts with an 'S.' Yup, none other than Splash-O! Valp and Splash-O, congratulations on a fine park!

I knew this would be trouble when I saw it. Both parks used the same formula, just different themes, so it'd come down to what people preferred. And in H2H, Schuessler-style isn't really going to get it done in most cases when it goes up against a "busier" style. I don't think LBGR got enough credit, really. It is extremely elegant, and the architecture is simple for a reason: it fits the story. The theme was based on a sort of Native American cliff dwelling people, and you're not going to see ornate, Gothic-intense detail in those sorts of buildings. So their park had a very nice charm that I personally think a lot of people overlook, simply because the "lack of stuff" bores them.

That's not to say Cliffs of Utopia was bad... this was very good as well. The architecture is a bit "messy," but more to classicists than most people. The landscaping is quite impressive, and the beauty here is what really pulls you in. Treeing is pulled off brilliantly, and you just get a great feeling looking at it. It feels serene, peaceful, and relaxing, whereas LBGR gives off more of a parched, arid feeling that's not as psychologically attractive.

Either park would have definitely deserved the win. They really are great works. CoU is definitely Team Po6's best park of the season, and while I'm disappointed that our team can't go undefeated, at least we lost to quality. I can respect that.

So congrats to both teams for making our second one-match week a great success! Hurricanes will have to rebound from this (we can't just assume the Vehemences will lose again), and the Flying Germans can use this as a great momentum builder heading into their next match.
  • Steve%s's Photo

(we can't just assume the Vehemences will lose again)

You wouldn't want to do that, trust me. ;)

So. Who made Utopia's wooden coaster? I must know.
  • Drew%s's Photo

I knew this would be trouble when I saw it.  Both parks used the same formula, just different themes, so it'd come down to what people preferred.  And in H2H, Schuessler-style isn't really going to get it done in most cases when it goes up against a "busier" style.  I don't think LBGR got enough credit, really.  It is extremely elegant, and the architecture is simple for a reason: it fits the story.  The theme was based on a sort of Native American cliff dwelling people, and you're not going to see ornate, Gothic-intense detail in those sorts of buildings.  So their park had a very nice charm that I personally think a lot of people overlook, simply because the "lack of stuff" bores them.

And also, cliffs aren't highly vegitated as for the reason it was bare. You should've seen that it was suppose to be in an arid climate with all of the vegitation near the water and all of the bare spots away from the water...

But, whatever.
    Congratulations F(a)Gs... ;)
    (Also, Corky: LBRG :p )
  • posix%s's Photo

And in H2H, Schuessler-style isn't really going to get it done in most cases when it goes up against a "busier" style.

stop talking bullshit.
  • Ride6%s's Photo

[font="tahoma"]stop talking bullshit.[/font]

Seirra Glen is the case and point here. If I could relive that I would've voted the Glen way but I didn't give the park enough of a chance to really sink in last time.

Anyway great work Splash and Valp, excellent even since it flowed so well.

ride6
  • Micool%s's Photo
    Hey Cork, stop it with the bias reviews after matches :p
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

Hey Cork, stop it with the bias reviews after matches :p

So you want me to post them before the results? :p :p

stop talking bullshit.

You know what I mean by "Schuessler-type" parks. And if you trying to say that I'm making a lame excuse for our loss... well, I expect better of you than to be that irrational.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    I'd say the quarrel was that neither of them were that Schuessler-ish. If I had to make comparisons i'd say the red park was Gila-ish and the other one was toon-ish.

Anyway, great job all four of you. Two great parks from four designers I don't really see much of, so well done.
  • posix%s's Photo

You know what I mean by "Schuessler-type" parks.  And if you trying to say that I'm making a lame excuse for our loss... well, I expect better of you than to be that irrational.

then rely onto your rationality and understand that i was just bitching because you worded your point so poorly. of course i understood what you meant. but you insulted schuessler-style. i couldn't possibly chill over that, could i? :p
  • Panic%s's Photo
    Now that I think about it, the singular problem present in Cliffs of Utopia, an otherwise incredible park, was that it didn't look as though the buildings were built into the cliffsides as much as placed there. I would guess it was the scenery itself and not its usage. Somehow I would imagine that a cliffside society would have buildings with a much higher wood or stone concentration in the walls and floors, instead of just marble. It kind of got to looking in places as though you had poured a bag of rice onto the sides of the cliffs, with the rice being the little 1/4 tile windows. Nevertheless the execution of the cliffs themselves was stunning, the wooden coaster was excellent (particularly the second hill), the foliage was superb and overall this entry rocked. It will probably take me weeks to exhaust all the little details that shine in this park.

La Barranca Roja Grande was definitely a more down-to-earth park, but that doesn't mean it was any worse. Here the buildings-built-into-the-cliffs idea was indeed pulled off masterfully, better so I thought than in CoU. While the architecture was simple in wall texture choice and other aspects, it evoked very well a simply built Spanish settlement somewhere in a canyon in the Arizona desert (however, not so well an Indian settlement =P). The foliage at the bottom of the canyon was also perfect. The woodie had its share of problems, for example that unnecessary 360-degree turn right after the far turnaround, but it was also more inventive than the one in CoU, what with the water splash, and the second drop being the highest and going right down to the riverbed, Steel Phantom style. The bridge was also brilliant. Sure, it might have been a little imposing, but there are towns in which a bridge is the biggest feature which still look nice.

I'm not gonna cast a vote just yet but I might find myself eventually going for Barranca, because it pulled off so well the gorgeous image of a Spanish mission town in a Southwest canyon, in basically the exact form that I would always imagine it in. For Cliffs, there were some things I would switch around (such as the predominance of marble architecture) before it would truly capture the imagination in its finest form. That aside, this might have been the finest H2H round yet this season.

And as it seems that everyone suddenly knows how to build kickass woodies, if we have indeed entered a renaissance of the "landscape woodie" then I have not been happier about anything RCT related in a very long time.
  • Valp%s's Photo
    YAY!

Just got home from a trip with no internet, and it's nice to see a victory.

(BTW... I did the coaster :) )
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Since Splash-O is viewing this topic at the moment... my guess is you want to challenge Six Frags for Best Replacement? :p

Good job.
  • Splash-0%s's Photo
    ^:)
    yeah i might, but that's up to you guys to judge. If i am do i get any special reward ? :D
    Nah just kidding.

Anayway, thanks for those who vote for CoU. Very appreciated.
    So Valp did the coaster lay out, and all the rest was mostly done by me.
    I hope you all saw those little details which really add a lot to the atmosphere. I was a bit affraid that a lot of stuff wouldn't be seen by you guys, like the bridge with the waterfall at the edge of the map where those go karts run over. But i guess i was wrong.

La Barranca Roja Grande, was a very good park in my eyes. The coaster didn't really flow, but that's what made the coaster so good in my eyes. It just fit in perfect with the surrounding dry, rough bare landscape. The bride was really cool, and the overall feel was very good. But that's where it ends...the architecture wasn't too good and the park was a bit too empty...If there would have been more to see, it would have probbably resulted into a much closer vote.
    But still a very nice park, well done.

Splash

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading