Ask the Experts / RCT2 Sprite Limit Calculations

• tyandor%s's Photo

256x256

then you made one mistake already: 256X256 is way too large. But on the technical side you should have around 130000 object to your disposal. But since you only have around 70000 objects I think you have a very specific problem if you calculate precisely you'll see that 256X256 is around 65000. That's your landscape data (the size of that depends on your selected mapsize) double that and extract it from the total 196608 and you'll get your remaining value. In other words your landscape data has been stored twice!
    Are you lost now(if you forget about the other negatives of a 256X256 map that is) aside? No you aren't.
    8-cars has a function to fix it and pray that it workes.
    -open up 8-cars
    -go to debug
    -choose 'eliminate duplicate surface data'
    -might want to sort it too
    -no recount and check if it worked
  • Tom_Dj%s's Photo
    Yeah it works thanks tyandor :)

I've choosen for 256x256 because i use al lot of one tile objects around the planets.
    I hope i can finish the park without the object limit :)
  • Mama Bear%s's Photo
    I reached several limits in GLoP, a 128x128 park. Of course I always work highly detailed but that was an indication for me not to go much bigger than that size. Next to the fact that I like it because it reminds me of the good old RCT1 megapark....LOL

Mama Bear
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Its probably worth mentioning. I seem to remember there is also a ride limit? 256 rides rings a bell. I hit some limit while building Snow Drop. Although this is less of a problem in RCT2 but LL relies on much more trackitechture
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    ^ That sounds about right. I remember I hit that and the banner limit once upon a time in LL.

Also, anyone thinking of starting a 256x256 park should be directed to this topic.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    my favorite map size is 100x100-180x180, no more or less than that.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    hey jaguar, stop digging stuff up just to post something irrelivant please.
  • Jipalu%s's Photo
    ^ Its pinned so I don't think it matters sssammy..
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I hit the banner limit in my LL park, and it's really not a big park.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    ^I did it on Superior, lol.
    -JDP
  • GigaG%s's Photo

they do, as do paths, rides/shops, small objects, large objects. The only exception are path items like benches and lamps. I don't know if there's a limit for those (probably, but large enough I guess) Also the basic information like the park name, entrance etc takes a few sprites, but it not that notable.

Every landtile takes one sprite so that means a larger map has a lower limit, but it also means that you have more surface to place less objects upon. If you plot this in graph then you'll see an huge drop in the limit if you take a larger map.
    Anyway, I need to make a side note here. When I made this calculation I assumed that every object took exactly 1 sprite. I however don't know if this is exactly true or that it also depends if you can color the object and ground map. I know however that the 2X2 martian object takes 3 sprites.

Although my calculation might not be completely correct, I still think it's quite accurate.
    200X200 is quite safe for most builders (even high detail is possible) and it should be kept as a guideline since it also takes a lot of time completing such a map.

The park name takes sprites?
  • Levis%s's Photo
    I can honestly not understand WHY you are asking this and HOW you could even think that?
  • GigaG%s's Photo
    ^ Tyandor said that the park name takes some sprites!
  • Levis%s's Photo
    the parkname doesn't take sprites entrance does
  • GigaG%s's Photo

they do, as do paths, rides/shops, small objects, large objects. The only exception are path items like benches and lamps. I don't know if there's a limit for those (probably, but large enough I guess) Also the basic information like the park name, entrance etc takes a few sprites, but it not that notable.

Every landtile takes one sprite so that means a larger map has a lower limit, but it also means that you have more surface to place less objects upon. If you plot this in graph then you'll see an huge drop in the limit if you take a larger map.
    Anyway, I need to make a side note here. When I made this calculation I assumed that every object took exactly 1 sprite. I however don't know if this is exactly true or that it also depends if you can color the object and ground map. I know however that the 2X2 martian object takes 3 sprites.

Although my calculation might not be completely correct, I still think it's quite accurate.
    200X200 is quite safe for most builders (even high detail is possible) and it should be kept as a guideline since it also takes a lot of time completing such a map.

Look at the bold.

Levis, keep parkmaking, but let tyandor be right. You have your own niche at NE, Levis, which is Parkmaker.

Edited by GigaG, 28 March 2010 - 03:53 PM.

• K0NG%s's Photo
    I'm not even gonna bother.
  • Cena%s's Photo

Look at the bold.

Levis, keep parkmaking, but let tyandor be right. You have your own niche at NE, Levis, which is Parkmaker.

## New Element's Noob Lesson ##

Episode 1. 

Hello new members, this is an elite website, where only the best of the best are allowed to be. New members on a forum always have difficulties first, on how to go with the flow. Most new members are a bit relaxt and slow in the beginning. However some members are annoying from the first post they have made, real life examples of these are Sssammy, JoeZia and GigaG. The elite club of already existing members understand, that it is their task to train the new rookies. This might take a few months, if the rookie is motivated to change his post behaviour, therefore we can  call it now that Sssammy is now a very good member who is very welcome to become a part of this elite club here at New Element, JoeZia, a relatively new member, who was very annoying in the beginning, now seems to be making good progression in our school. But in every class, you always have an asshole, in our class it's GigaG. Every time his posts are awkward, and therefore causing weird situations at the forums. We understand he is a new one to this board, but you won't get 10 chances on your tests in school, only once and if you are luckily you might get a second, but that is it. 

Thanks for watching to our first lesson: ## New Element's Noob Lesson ##

GigaG, do you get the moral of this story? 

Levis knows the most about this game, way MORE then Tyandor. Levis can even understand the whole code behind this game, and you are telling him, the guy who has invented more than 50% of the hacks, who have written over a couple dozens of tutorials, who has given us new ways to hack this game (winhack) that he is wrong here? You might need to read more on the boards, or get the shit out of your eyes, but please, stop with telling Levis that he should only stay to parkmaking ... I think Levis actually enjoys it more to develop new things for this game, then he is actually is playing. 

Anyways, I hope you can improve, and otherwise I would have called you a gigantic jackass and finished my post after it, but since it's my birthday and I am  happy, I typed you a very long, and hopefully a usefull message for you. Oh, and say sorry against Levis, he is nice guy. 

Edit.
    Sorry Posix and Geewhzz, I feel deeply sorry for going offtopic and not talking about calculations with sprites, but I hope you understand my frustration with GigaG.

Edited by Cena, 28 March 2010 - 05:36 PM.

• Levis%s's Photo

Look at the bold.

you should google for "rct tid". that might open up your eyes.

The scenario name is stored in the map data which is after the sprites. so it can't be a sprite. the entrance it self uses 3 slots of map data for every piece on the map it uses 1. besides that it also uses a scrolling text which is stored as a banner. I believe the banners are stored seperatly from the sprites so thats why ty probally confused them.
  • GigaG%s's Photo
    Sorry Levis. I think, though, that if you implement your new hack in a park, that is parkmaking. If you know, I can't perform most of Levis' hacks. I've only hex edited in LL to fix black holes. As for Cena, thank you for the tips, maybe I will cut down the moronic posts. This is my message to all of NE! Here, I'll return the favor-

## New Element's n00b lesson Episode 2 - from the n00b himself##

Well, I'm GigaG here, widely accepted as NE's idiot. Well, I started my career asking for tips, and I can't leave those days in the past. I have even recently questioned Levis' RCT2 knowledge. My tip to all the n00bier n00bs that will be on NE - make a good impression, or you will be regarded an idiot. If you are regarded as one, try to rise up like SSSammy, or partially rise like JoeZia, but try not to be a n00b no matter if you have been here for months.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading