Ask the Experts / Graphics Cards

• Rhynos%s's Photo
    I know this sounds like it should be in another forum here, but this deals more with a problem I have with some of my parks that either DL or build myself.

So this is my laptop's specs:
    AMD Althon 64 3200+ (~2.0 Ghz)
    512 MB DDR SDRAM (not sure if it's 2700 or what)
    80 GB @ 4500 rpm HD
    Double-layer DVD±R/RW and CD-RW combo drive
    15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display (BrightView)
    128 MB DDR (dedicated) ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP (PCI Express graphics card)
    54g integrated 802.11b/g integrated wireless LAN
    6-in-1 digital media card reader
    Microsoft Integrated Sound Card w/ Altec Lansing Speakers

It runs on Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2.

Now, the video drivers are the same with what came with the laptop when I bought it. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to run RCT 3 without lag at optimal settings and 1280 x 720, yet I do. Also, many of the RCT 2 parks that I try to open from this site I can't open because an 'Error Trapper' message pops up and alerts me that my video drivers may not support the game, yet I can open other parks with ease (Ex. - I can open Suess!, but not Bayfront Parc). I know the drivers are by ATI and they are signed by Microsoft.

If anyone has anything that they might be able lend to me or has anything similar to what I've got, then that'd be great. It's disappointing when you can't follow through on inspiration, to say the least.
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    Try these drivers: http://www.omegadrivers.net/
    They are unofficial, but made from the official ones. Don't know if it supports your card but it can't hurt to try. Btw, is directX installed properly?
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Yes, I believe I have the latest (9.0, I think) and did both 2D and 3D checks with the troubleshoot guide.

Oh, and how do I know which driver to DL?
  • Ge-Ride%s's Photo
    All I know is that you can put your stuff on your Ipod and then use it on any computer. I've tried it.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    I know that, I've got one of them meself. but I'm not too sure that helps me here. kthnxbye
  • tyandor%s's Photo

Yes, I believe I have the latest (9.0, I think) and did both 2D and 3D checks with the troubleshoot guide.

Oh, and how do I know which driver to DL?

simple: the drivers are compatible with almost any ATI cards (if not all and the mobility series is listed as compatible). Just select ATI Radeon, select windows XP and download and install it. I however recommend that you deinstall the official drivers first and also remove the ati control center/panel.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    How do I remove the control panel? where is it?
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    that graphics card isn't very powerful. nice laptop though.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

How do I remove the control panel?  where is it?

control panel-> software-> anything that starts with ATI
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Really, the card isn't great? I thought it being a pci -express id be worth something. especially at 128 mb. arent pci-express the next gen of cards?
  • tyandor%s's Photo

Really, the card isn't great?  I thought it being a pci -express id be worth something.  especially at 128 mb.  arent pci-express the next gen of cards?

pci-express cards also come in a budget version + we're talking about a laptop card here!
    My 9800pro AGP easily defeats a X300 PCI-E, comparison: top card of the previous serie vs budgetcard of the new serie.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Ah, thought since i was going with the 128 version and not the 32 version i was goona get a pretty bitchin card. Hmm, maybe i can steal my computer back form my parents. [evil grin]
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Well, I tried the Omega Driver, but it still doesn't solve my problem. Although RCT 3 spend up just a hint.
  • guljam%s's Photo
    X800...
  • elby%s's Photo

X800...

x800xl :D

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading