General Chat / Gas hitting $5 A Gallon?

• iBrent%s's Photo
    So it's all over the news tonight that gas is expected to rise up to 5 dollars as early as tomorrow. Just incase, we filled all our cars up tonight @ Costco at $2.81 a gallon. Last time they said it'd get well over $3 for Katrina, and we never got over $2.90 here, so I'm guessing it will go up sharply, but not nearly the spike they're predicting... prolly somewhere along the lines of $3.60-$4.00. Dunno how long it's supposed to last though.
  • Drew%s's Photo
    I'm glad I bought gas today then... I was going to buy it tomorrow after school...
    And I got it for $2.50/gal...
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    It probably won't.
    It will spike, though...mostly because of people freaking out and buying gas in a panic. That increases prices, you know.
  • Cap'n Quack%s's Photo
    Why do you say that?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Easy. Supply and demand. Tons of people line up around the block to fill up their tanks, I mean Hummers and Expeditions...gas supply at station dwindles down...prices are raised so people buy less.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    omg artificial gast shortage, lets have a party!
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Give a round of applause for the people of the US!! [loud cheering and screaming]

Only in our society do we actually follow what the news says. Jesus Christ, this is rediculous. I would laugh if the oil companies are paying the media to say it will spike. What morons.
  • Junya Boy%s's Photo
    it could be $5, considering how when i went home to visit, gas was already $4 a gallon on the average. i think the lowest i saw was about $3.79.
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    It just got back down to $2.50 from around $3.20 here.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

omg artificial gast shortage, lets have a party!

Well, it'll be a real gas shortage this time, because the REFINEMENT gets shut down by Rita. The oil might be there, but the factories that turn it into gas (in the midwest at least) will be down for a day or two. But we've put ourselves in this situation by being so dependent on oil all this time.

But of course, gas spiking is mostly because people will freak and stuff. *sigh*
  • Meretrix%s's Photo
    Two weeks ago, I paid $3.75 a gallon. I just filled up yesterday to $2.99.......thankfully I'll be out of the country in a few days, and hopefully when I return, this gas madness will have returned to a semi normal state....... ;)
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    ^ Hopefully you wont be driving and paying for gas yourself. If it's Europe, good luck.
  • ekimmel%s's Photo
    I think Rita is going to miss the refineries so they won't be shut down very long. Gas will probably spike like Katrina then drop back down to current levels again shortly afterwards.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Yeah... shouldn't get to $5, barring another unforeseen shift back to Houston.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    It went all the way down to $2.49 here, then went up $0.20 in one night. Even if there is a shortage I consider some of the price raises price gouging because it shouldn't go up that fast.
  • RRP%s's Photo
    hopefully itll hit $5 and stay,then maybe ull all think about how much fuel ure pointlessly wasting with ure 15lt v12s
  • lazyboy97O%s's Photo

Even if there is a shortage I consider some of the price raises price gouging because it shouldn't go up that fast.

you'd be amazed at how fast demand can go up
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

hopefully itll hit $5 and stay,then maybe ull all think about how much fuel ure pointlessly wasting with ure 15lt v12s

Too bad we don't have really efficient public transit systems that can be used en masse like you guys...
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Find me a fuel-efficient car.
    Or buy me a fuel-efficient car.
    Or find real public transit in the suburbs.

America is not Europe. Things are different here.

Although I still believe that MPG restrictions should be put into place--no reason any vehicle in 2WD, even a Hummer or Expedition or whatever stupid tank people are driving should get anything under 20mpg.
  • spiderman%s's Photo
    Say it goes to 5 dollars a gallon.

I'd bet that $1.50 of that 5 dollars is from price gouging.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading