General Chat / Football Topic

• SenZ%s's Photo
    ...but it is not soccer, it's football.

Well, since the Champions League almost goes to the next phase, the playoffs, and the WC are also coming closer, now all the countries are placed for the main-tournament, I was missing a football thread.

Sadly, I have to kick off the thread with sad news...

News

Utrecht defender Di Tommaso dies aged 26

AMSTERDAM, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Utrecht defender David di Tommaso has died in his sleep aged 26, the Dutch first division club said on Tuesday.

According to media reports, the French defender suffered a heart attack at home on Monday night. He had a wife and one child.

The club's doctor will hold a news conference later on Tuesday. "One thing we know for sure - Tomaso was not taking doping products," a spokesman of the club was quoted as saying by the ANP news agency.

Di Tommaso started his career at Monaco and later played for French second division Sedan.

He was a member of the Monaco side which won the French title in 2000 but was not a regular, playing seven matches that season.

In July 2004, he joined Utrecht from Sedan and played 31 times last season when he was the club's player of the year. He had appeared in 13 matches this season including last Sunday's 1-0 home league win over Ajax Amsterdam.

RIP Di Tomassi.

Champions League

Matchday 6 is coming up (divided over 6&7 December). The current standings in the groups are:

Posted Image

The next matchday, number 6 (also the last day) is an exciting one. In Groups A, B and F the teams that are going to the next round are already known (the number 1 and 2 will go to the play-offs). In all the other groups the decision will fall on the next playing date.

Posted Image

Anyways, I'm fan of PSV Eindhoven. :)

Edited by Michael, 29 November 2005 - 11:14 AM.

• Marshy%s's Photo
    Come on you Arsenal.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    PSV has a very important match coming up for them, strangely they got this far scoring only 2 (!) goals, they're going to have to score atleast one against Fenerbahce. Still don't understand why they couldn't just beat Schalke would have made things a lot easier haha. Anyways, hopefully they'll beat Fenerbahce, and Milan will beat Schalke.. most likely.

Group B is ridiculous, i heard someone say it might be the worst group ever, and that person is probably right. Ajax is no where at home, but seems to have no problems getting through. Seems really unfair with PSV being in such a tough group.

Group D is awesome, anyone who wins the last match is in!

Can't wait till next tuesday, my fingers are crossed for an easy 2-0 win for PSV. Too bad i missed last time, though i guess that match wasn't really worth seeing anyways (and what i was doing at that particular time was definitely worth it :D)

Anyways, nice topic :).
  • X250%s's Photo
    Unfortunatly, there is very little chance of my team ever reaching the Champions League, Wolves seem to be struggling with getting promoted to the Premiership at this moment in time...

So i tend to usually support the English teams entering, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal- not a big fan of ManUtd. Get a lot of stick off my mates at school from them lol. I am also a big PSV fan, I remember going to one of their matches when i went to the Philips Stadium- fantastic team and fantastic crowd. So, erm, come on Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal/PSV?

-X-
  • Stargazer%s's Photo
    I support Newcastle, who are possibly the most unlucky team in the Premiership. I can't really think of a more frustrating team to support!

Champions League wise, I want AC Milan to win this year, as they got robbed last year, and I feel for poor old Maldini and Cafu.
  • SenZ%s's Photo

Champions League wise, I want AC Milan to win this year, as they got robbed last year, and I feel for poor old Maldini and Cafu.

View Post

AC Milan robbed the CL from PSV, seriously. PSV was the better team last year, but with some lucky goals they went to the final. Not deserved. Luckily Liverpool won the cup, because they deserved it more than AC Milan.
  • Stargazer%s's Photo

AC Milan robbed the CL from PSV, seriously. PSV was the better team last year, but  with some lucky goals they went to the final. Not deserved. Luckily Liverpool won the cup, because they deserved it more than AC Milan.

View Post

You have a point with the PSV games, but purely in terms of the final, AC Milan dominated about 110 of the 120 minutes of the match and deserved to win, it was Liverpool's fate to win the Champions League, but no way did Liverpool deserve to win the final purely on the game itself.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    Yeah, so psv 'should' have beat ac, and ac 'should' have beat liverpool. life's a bitch, in the end the only thing that counts is the amount of goals you score and the amount scored against you.
  • Richie%s's Photo
    Liverpool above chelski, exactly where they should be :mantis:
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    Who cares about this season, next season will be awesome, what with Manchester City playing (and beating, of course) the likes of Juve and Barca. Psycho has turned City into a propper team.

Anyway, Arsenal are looking convincing at the moment but you cant help but feel a little uncertain about them. With Henry scoring shit loads and Reyes, V. Persie and Luppoli swtiching along side him you can count they will score loads, but from their record, I cant help but think it will be short lived. Liverpool, I'd like to see them do well as Stevie G is IMO out of this world, he never gives less than 110% and im not afriad to admit I model my own game around his.

Chelski, Chelski, Chelski, I would like these guys to win because they have Lamps and Terry, but theres the whole moral thing with them being bought out and what not.

Utd, well I hope they get kicked out cos I fuckin hate them, I hate Ronaldo, I hate the Glaziers, I hate Fergie, I hate Nistlerooy. Everybody else I actually like, but why the fuck do they play fletcher, apart from the lucky cut back which went in against Chelsea hes done fuck all, and he gives the ball away all the time. So yeah, UTD to go out :mantis:

BTW, Was watcing Barca the other day and I nearly orgasmoidededed. Barca and Arsenal should both win just for playing attractive football.

Edited by Adonis, 01 December 2005 - 08:04 AM.

• Marshy%s's Photo

I support Newcastle, who are possibly the most unlucky team in the Premiership

View Post

I don't really think that they are unlucky, I think that they are just shite.
  • Stargazer%s's Photo

I don't really think that they are unlucky, I think that they are just shite.

View Post

Name another team in the Premiership that has been unable to field their first team this season. This team has not played one match this season as a unit:-

--------------------------Given------------------------------
    ------Carr--------Taylor-------Boumsong-----Babayaro-
    --------------------------Parker-----------------------------
    -----------Dyer----------Emre---------Luque--------------
    -------------------Shearer----Owen------------------------

We have been completely ravaged by injuries and plagued by bad refereeing decisions (McFadden handball v Everton, Clear Penalty vs Chelsea, Disallowed Goal vs Wigan). I know you have to make your own luck, but things just haven't been going our way.
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    Is'nt that the point of squads.

You will never win anything if you cant back up your first team with quality players, but Newcastle can, I just blame Souey. He's a cock-a-doodle-doo-a-doodle-doo.
  • petrov%s's Photo
    [quote name='X250' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:47 PM']
    Unfortunatly, there is very little chance of my team ever reaching the Champions League, Wolves seem to be struggling with getting promoted to the Premiership at this moment in time...

its great to see the dingles struggling but would rather see you get promoted so the greatest local derby can be played.

boing boing
  • petrov%s's Photo

View Post

its great to see the dingles struggling, but wouldnt mind you being promoted so the greatest derby can be played.

boing boing
  • X250%s's Photo

boing boing

View Post

You're a West Brom fan?

Wow. Where did you steal your computer from? ;)

-X-
  • FredD%s's Photo
    I'm a real fan from KAA Gent, but the supporters call our club Buffalo.
    But noboy won't know this club, it's a Belgian club!

We're talking about soccer, isn't it?
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    wme, psv are really not in that hard a group. If you can't qualify in front of schalke and fernabache, you don't deserve to get into the knock-outs in my opinion.

And I am so annoyed. I had Crouch in my fantasy football team last week - had two games, I thought how could he not score, and he was dirt cheap - and now the little git has gone and got two against wigan. unbelievable.
  • Scarface%s's Photo
    I can see us going quite far in the tournament again - Semi's / Final. Winning it last year was the best day of my life and if we did it again...well....!

5 games into the group, unbeaten and only conceded one goal. Keeping clean sheets all the time in all competitions at the minute so we are solid.

Not bothered how we get on against chelsea because were already through, although it would be nice to win.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    deano,

i agree that they should qualify in front of fenerbahce and shalke to deserve to be in the knockouts, but looking at the four teams, i'd say fenerbahce is one of the strongest #4s. In other groups there are clubs like Anderlecht and Rapid Wien that are losing everything. Schalke is quite good, too. At the top of their game, i think PSV is one of the strongest #2's, and i think AC Milan is a very strong #1. (atleast, they were both in the last 4 last year...) So i think it's a tough group, even though i think PSV should definitely advance and if they don't they can't blame it on the group but themselves. Winning the home game against Fenerbahce shouldn't be too much of a problem right?

And besides maybe group d, i'd say it's the toughest group. But that's just my opinion, and it probably would have been different if PSV just had kone maybe culina and would play a little bit better or something because with the results against AC they damned well should have been through already. Oh well.

The funnest scoreline for group d would be Shalke beating AC, and PSV playing 0-0, meaning psv would have a 2-6 goals for and against, and be through :D.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading