General Chat / Expedition Everest Ride Video

• Highball%s's Photo
    Here it is, guys. The first ever on-ride video of Disney's Animal Kingdom's newest E-ticket, Expedition Everest. Now, I don't want to spoil the suprise for myself, so I downloaded both videos and only watched the trip up the lift hill. I shall wait until June-July to see everything in person. Watch in full at your own risk!

Expedition Everest On-Ride Video 1 & 2.
  • X250%s's Photo
    Just watched the first one, it looks superb. Great special effects, and looked surprisingly smooth for a 'vekoma'. Their new track seems to be much better than their old 'in-stop' wheel track.

-X-
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Someone needs a better camera that adjusts to sharp contrast conditions better. :lol:

Looks really fun! Pretty much like Matterhorn but on steroids. Not jawdroppingly amazing, but then again, that depends on your expectations going into the ride.
  • BreakAway%s's Photo
    I won't be going to Florida anytime soon...so I'll download it...
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    The only problem I'd have is with it bein all warm in florida and pretending to be in the Himilayas, but that's just me. Otherwise, the ride looks damn intense. Is this in the Animal Kingdom? I need to visit there sometime soon.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Well, Disneyland has the Matterhorn, and in the middle of everything for that matter, yet California isn't Switzerland. Similarly, Florida is not China, Norway, Japan, Mexico, France, UK, or numerous other countries (EPCOT). Florida also isn't a space port, anywhere near the Wild West, or Arabia (Magic Kingdom). *shrug* It's called theming, ya know? Suspend reality due to that whole theme park thing? :lol:

And yes, it's in AK. A huge plus for the park IMO.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Yeah, but I was more pointing out the temperatures felt and meant to be felt. Other than that, it wouldn't bother me a bit, especially knowing that Disney themed it. I mean, Six Flags will never bring in original crafters and buildings.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Even snowy mountains get warm days sometimes. :D

(yeah, I know what you meant; just ribbin' ya)
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    Wow, thats all they can do with $100 Million? :X
    Theres no suspense, no being lifted up by the Yeti like it was rumored. The mountain looks good and all but its nothing which you would write home about. The ride time seems ok but track elements seem to be lacking. Even the story seems quite thin, I actually think the theming on Valhalla @ BPPB looks better than this.

I'll put it down to being on of those 'have-to-ride' to get the full experience.
    One question: do they alter the temperature inside the mountain? Something which is really cool about valhalla is the temperature changes, one minute your melting the next minute your freezing your icicles off.

I dont like to be negative but the buzz seems to out weigh the bite. :-\ I wish I didnt watch the video now. :|
  • posix%s's Photo
    wow, i thought it was amazing.
  • cg?%s's Photo

Just watched the first one, it looks superb. Great special effects, and looked surprisingly smooth for a 'vekoma'. Their new track seems to be much better than their old 'in-stop' wheel track.

-X-

View Post

track system? track system? the track system has no effect on smoothness at all! the supports have an effect, the wheels have an effect, the wheel assemblies definetly have an effect, and even the seats and restraints have an effect, based upon how well they cusion you being thrown around, but the track system? only to the extent that it's part of the support structure. whether the wheels are inside or outside the rail means nothing!

actually, every vekoma i've ever been on has been smooth, including, and especially, the other vekoma at walt disney world resort, "rock 'n' rollercoaster", which uses "inside" wheel assemblies.

the ride looks like a disney ride: a lot of fun, but nothing all too intense, with some really wonderful theming. the yeti kicks ass, but, really, how could a yeti not?
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    I wouldn't judge it based on two pretty poor quality ride POV's. I think it looks like a really fun ride, and if you have extremely high expectations for ANYTHING, you're going to get disappointed. It's not like this is RCT or anything.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Animal Kingdom needed this desperately.
    I'm a DVC member so I get to go to the soft opening and it's going to fucking rock.
  • Dixi%s's Photo

I wouldn't judge it based on two pretty poor quality ride POV's.  I think it looks like a really fun ride, and if you have extremely high expectations for ANYTHING, you're going to get disappointed.  It's not like this is RCT or anything.

View Post

Hmmm fair point.

I still feel though that from those clips, they could have got alot more for $100Million, its alot of money is that, it blows every other attraction out of the water in terms of budget and I could think of two or three similar rides which look better.
    I really hope its a huge success though, as ^ said AK really needed this.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Well, don't forget. They also had to build an artificial mountain that would sustain 200 mph winds (Florida wind building code). I think a good chunk of $100 million would be needed for that. ;)
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Also, that Yeti animatronic (which looks like it's seen far too briefly) probably cost a fortune. Plus, Disney attractions tend to just cost a lot of money in the first place. RnRC costs something like 3 or 4 times more than the standard model of that Vekoma launched coaster, Indiana Jones @ Disneyland was $100 million. Usually it can be broken down into terms that make sense, but it still seems like a lot. As long as they deliver on the quality, I suppose.

Anyways, I'm pretty impressed with how the coaster is looking. The special effects are cool, the mountain and scenery are impressive, and it seems to have quite a bit of length to it (even a little prelift portion). I'm just wondering exactly what you're doing inside the mountain all that time, since it's hard to tell from the video. That could potentially make or break the ride for me, but I imagine it's probably pretty good too. Also, the ending seems a bit abrupt, and like I said earlier, the Yeti animatronic, which seemed to be the highlight of many of the press releases, wasn't as spectacular as I'd imagined (possibly just because of the combination of being hard to see due to the video, and because you only go by it only once, and very quickly). Anyways, it looks like it should be a great, much needed addition to AK.
  • lazyboy97O%s's Photo

Well, don't forget.  They also had to build an artificial mountain that would sustain 200 mph winds (Florida wind building code).  I think a good chunk of $100 million would be needed for that. ;)

View Post

Don't forget it is sitting in a swamp too. (Would building permits from the Corps be included in the price tag?)

From other places I've heard these videos do not do the Yeti justice. His movements are quite powerful, so much so that he needs his own independent superstructure.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    it looks like a lot of fun to me.

also, from the first vid (haven't watched the second yet), is it supposed to be that dark? or was that just a shitty camera.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    we all know that a cool hundred million is chump change to disney anyway. now lets hope they continue this trend of coaster emplacement.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    My reaction to that video can be summed up thusly:

DAHKNESS IS SPREADIN

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading