General Chat / UEFA Euro 2008

• Six Frags%s's Photo
    Wow, group A will deliver some great upsets I think..
    Group B's also very tough... As are group D & F..

I think Holland and England are lucky this time around seeing these other groups ;)

Posted Image

SF
  • J K%s's Photo
    Thats a good group for England, but im sure they'll get through no matter what.
  • SenZ%s's Photo
    lol. We are very lucky. NO CZECH REPUBLIC! FINALLY :D
  • Marshy%s's Photo
    Just Croatia really pose a threat for the brits.
  • X250%s's Photo
    Yay! No Poland finally!

England's group is really easy, thats good. I really wouldn't like to be in group A or D, bye bye Scotland! haha.

-X-
  • Dixi%s's Photo

Just Croatia really pose a threat for the brits.

View Post

Mate, only England can produce quality players like Gerrard and Terry, dont flatter the other 'minor' countries by claiming them as Brits.
  • Marshy%s's Photo
    Oops, England I meant.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    Wow. Awesomeness, the group. We got like, lucky... (not that it really matters, as been noted above..) (though ukraine does pose a threat for italy and france, greece turkey and norway might be tough too...) two go through right? or does the second still have to play-off?
  • Stargazer%s's Photo

Mate, only England can produce quality players like Gerrard and Terry, dont flatter the other 'minor' countries by claiming them as Brits.

View Post

Hence why England supporters always whine about Ryan Giggs being Welsh.
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    Personally, Id prefer Duff.
    But yeah, Giggs and/or Duff would be the only players I'd have from a British team. And even then, thats only because we can produce feck all, left winger style.

Edited by Adonis, 27 January 2006 - 08:41 PM.

• Stargazer%s's Photo
    Anyways, if you want to know what I think, as long as Lampard and Gerrard play in the centre midfiled slots in a 4-4-2 in Germany, we don't stand a fucking chance against the teams that play with orthodox No.10's; Italy, Brazil, Holland, France, Portugal, Argentina - as both of them are not suited to the holding midfield role, leaving massive, massive gaps infront of our back 4. Unless Sven sorts this out - I can't see us getting past the Quarter Finals.
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    If Sven was a little more adventurous with the tactics, I'd say he shouldnt have a problem fitting them together, but your point is a good one. I believe Gerrard would do perfectly in the holding midfielder role as he generally does alot of defensive work for Liverpool, although he does a good deal of attacking too, where as Lampard is more geared towards attack/playmaker and not so defensive. Alternatively we could push big G out to the right and pull Beckham into the holding midfielder role. I dont care if people havent seen him play in that position for England before because he does an awesome job of it for Madrid.

On that note, I actually think this could be a very good world cup for Beckham as his influence in the Madrid squad is massive, he's been playing fantastic this season. So have Lamps, Gerrard, Rooney, Terry, J. Cole, and Owen was back to his poaching self when he was fit. SWP has been looking bright as a sub, and I think we would do good to take Vassell again as hes been really hungry for City, chasing and winning balls which looked hopless and making something of them.

I am very hopeful for the summer, but I will just be glad to be in the thick of it, no feeling compares to world cup fever! :mantis:
  • Stargazer%s's Photo
    If I was teh England coach, this would be my starting XI versus the big teams.

---------------------------Robinson------------------------------
    -----------Ferdinand-------Terry-------Campbell--------------
    ---SWP------------------------------------------------A. Cole---
    -----------------------------Parker-------------------------------
    ------------------Gerrard-----------Lampard--------------------
    -----------------------------Rooney------------------------------
    -----------------------------Owen--------------------------------

That team would kick ass. You have unbelievable midfield strength and alot of width from Wright Phillips and A.Cole, who love to bomb forward. Then three of the best centre backs in the world (even if Terry is horrendously overrated). Beckham is a liability in the middle versus good teams as shown against Barcelona at the Santiago Benerbeu. So yeah, that team for the win.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Neat diagram.
  • Dixi%s's Photo

If I was teh England coach, this would be my starting XI versus the big teams.

---------------------------Robinson------------------------------
    -----------Ferdinand-------Terry-------Campbell--------------
    ---SWP------------------------------------------------A. Cole---
    -----------------------------Parker-------------------------------
    ------------------Gerrard-----------Lampard--------------------
    -----------------------------Rooney------------------------------
    -----------------------------Owen--------------------------------

That team would kick ass. You have unbelievable midfield strength and alot of width from Wright Phillips and A.Cole, who love to bomb forward. Then three of the best centre backs in the world (even if Terry is horrendously overrated). Beckham is a liability in the middle versus good teams as shown against Barcelona at the Santiago Benerbeu. So yeah, that team for the win.

View Post

:lol:

OMG thats scary, that is my typical formation on Pro Evo. However, I would have Beckham over SWP, and I'm and avid City/SWP fan. I'm of the oppinion that Beckham can create a goal from any position on the field, and I still think he has unrivalled influence over a game if he plays to his usual standard. (big if though)

I certainly dont think Terry is overrated though. He is always there exacly when you need him, and he always clears up a messy situation, he is simply a no shit defender. Terry Butcher the 2nd. And if youre not narrow minded, then when you see that the worlds critics find it difficult to find a fault in his game, you have to accept that he is simply an awesome defender. I for one would not question the judgement of the likes of Mourinho who put so much faith in him, after all if Mourinho doesnt know the game, then who does?
  • Stargazer%s's Photo
    My problem with Terry is that he is as slow as shit and when playing for England without an orthodox defensive midfielder (a la Makelele), has looked pretty weak (failed to clear goal vs. Macedonia and made awful mistake nearly let Azerbaijain score). Don't get me wrong, he's awesome in the Premiership, but has problems versus fast opponents (Bellamy vs. Blackburn for example) which makes me think that at International level he can't cut the mustard like Sol and Rio.
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    Sol and Rio were both the best defenders in Japan/Korea. Best partnership ever.
    Guess we're just lucky to have a choice of three of the best centerbacks in the world. G Neville and A Cole are awesome fullbacks too.

Edited by Adonis, 29 January 2006 - 04:12 PM.

• Stargazer%s's Photo

Sol and Rio were both the best defenders in Japan/Korea. Best partnership ever.
    Guess we're just lucky to have a choice of three of the best centerbacks in the world. G Neville and A Cole are awesome fullbacks too.

View Post

It was an awesome partnership, although not quite Baresi / Maldini :nod: .

And Gary Neville is hilarious.
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    I know, he always plays as Citys MOM in the local derbys. :lol:

Scratch G Neville actually I'd have Carragher over him any day of the week (in a non homosexual way).
  • Stargazer%s's Photo

I know, he always plays as Citys MOM in the local derbys. :lol:

Scratch G Neville actually I'd have Carragher over him any day of the week (in a non homosexual way).

View Post

Although Gary Neville has the one thing in his multiple abilities arsenal that seperates him from the pretenders - TEH LONG THROW!

Also, some of my friends got his mobile number, prank called him, and recorded it. Possibly the funniest thing I have ever heard.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading