General Chat / The Future Architects' Thread

• natelox%s's Photo
    Three renderings of Mies Van Der Rohe's Barcelona Pavillion. The model was done in AutoCAD, the rendering in VIZ and some touch up work with Photoshop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

Three renderings of Mies Van Der Rohe's Barcelona Pavillion. The model was done in AutoCAD, the rendering in VIZ and some touch up work with Photoshop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hehehe, cool.
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    they all look a little weird...but good enough for cad and viz I suppose.

I got some great news last week, I am going to be interning with KPF in London for 6 months starting in mid-June...I can't wait to get there, it is going to be amazing!
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Taking a summer course at OSU to learn AutoCAD. i get two hours for lunch downtown :]
  • disneylhand%s's Photo
    I've learned a lot reading through this thread.
    I've been working on this drawing today and yesterday:
    Posted Image
    (My dumb scanner didn't quite get all the lines. .)

-disneylhand

Edited by disneylhand, 04 April 2008 - 08:26 PM.

• penguinBOB%s's Photo
    wow, that's pretty awesome. are there any other drawings to go along with that elevation?

structures for me next semester. i'm actually looking forward to it.
  • disneylhand%s's Photo
    ^Not yet. What's shown in that particular picture is the side of the house with bedrooms. In actuality from this view, you'd be able to see the rest of the house that I will draw out later from a different view.

-disneylhand
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Anyone using Revit?
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    I tried to use it once. Didn't know what I was doing.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    WOOHOO!! I finally took my LEED test and passed! I'm now officially LEED Accredited!!! :D

For those of you who've never even heard of LEED (and if you're in architecture in the U.S. or even Canada, it's hard to imagine how), you can find out more information at:
    http://www.usgbc.org/leed

I've posted a Brain Dump and tips at ARE Forums, which you can view here:
    http://www.areforum....um12/47221.html

If that makes me the first NE member to be LEED accredited, cool. If not, oh well. :)
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Wow, nice work. I thought only the buildings got LEED certified, but I guess it makes sense that the architects would too.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    No, you're right. Buildings get LEED certified. People get LEED Accredited. ;)
  • RCTFAN%s's Photo
    sounds pretty good, congrats.
  • CedarPoint6%s's Photo
    Congrats, that's a good accomplishment.

I'm up to my head in our final project. Review happens next Wednesday.
    Also, if anyone happens to know anything about VIZ and adding materials to faces in that, I could use some help. Shoot me a message on AIM or MSN or something...
  • RCTFAN%s's Photo
    does anyone else use artlantis for renders then? or is it just viz and revit
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    Thought I would stop by and say what I'm doing.

I'm dual majoring in Architectural and Civil Engineering (with a structural emphasis) and minoring in Economics. I'm considering graduate school.
    I do miss the true design aspect that I had in my Architectural Design 1 and 2 classes, however, the structural design aspect excites me much more. I like the thought of making things stand and function as well as taking a set of plans and helping flesh those out into a finished product.

As of right now, the job market is horrible and I've had shit luck finding internship opportunities, so more than likely I'll be doing research over the summer helping cast, test, and analyze very very large concrete beams at my college. Right now a professor and graduate students are testing on 4 ft deep I beams with different arrangements and connections of this thin plastic film used for reinforcement that has a tensile capacity of 300ksi; I'm hoping to jump on similar projects. I know it's not pretty, but it's breaking BIG things! What's cooler than that?

What's everyone else doing?
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    wow, good to hear an update pBOB
    I was just in London from July 08 to the end of January 09. Working at KPF as a Junior Architect after having graduated from UC with a BSArch in June 08. I worked on the Abu Dhabi International Airport project, which was massive, but an amazing project to work on. Initially I worked on the GA team, but then moved on to passenger conveyance as the point man. Kinda crazy really with nearly 200 lifts and about 150 escalators...not to mention about 100 moving walks...all of which I had to coordinate, detail, and help with design on different things such as the panoramic lifts.

those sound like pretty massive beams you get to test. The airport actually had beams that were 3-5m deep!
    seeing the sections was intense.
    but thanks to the glorious economy, I was laid off...so I am now jobless and at home in Ohio. I plan to find something for the next year and a half and then head back to grad school somewhere to get my MArch.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    :OMG: Those are humongous! Concrete right? Prestressed? Man I'd love to be doing stuff like that - sizing beams and doing calculations for a massive project.

They are massive! Our lab here is pretty nice and is meant for breaking big things.

Are Architects licensed right out of college, or how does that work? Engineers must pass a fundamentals exam to become an engineer in training and then after 4 years of work experience can take another exam to become a licensed professional engineer. If you work in a manufacturing setting you do not have to be licensed. Are there any similarities to the licensing?

That's a bummer about being laid off. That sounds like the job of a lifetime. :( Good luck finding a job. If worse comes to worse maybe there'd be a relevant job at your state's DOT program? There shouldn't be a lack of funding there.

Edited by penguinBOB, 18 March 2009 - 10:59 PM.

• AustinPowers%s's Photo

WOOHOO!! I finally took my LEED test and passed! I'm now officially LEED Accredited!!! :D

For those of you who've never even heard of LEED (and if you're in architecture in the U.S. or even Canada, it's hard to imagine how), you can find out more information at:
    http://www.usgbc.org/leed

I've posted a Brain Dump and tips at ARE Forums, which you can view here:
    http://www.areforum....um12/47221.html

If that makes me the first NE member to be LEED accredited, cool. If not, oh well. :)

Well I've finally decided to take the LEED AP test...just signed up for it today. I'll take it on May 23rd. It's expensive, but I need to be doing something productive while I am laid off. At least I can not have too big of a gap in my CV/resume with this in there. I haven't checked out your tips yet Al, but I'll give them a scan soon.

They are definitely concrete beams pbob. I believe they are prestressed...I never dealt with the structure team much (except for dealing with slab openings for lifts and escalators (which was a huge pain btw).

It sounds pretty similar to get licensed for engineers as it is for architects. Though you might get off easier. First you have to get a professional degree, which is either a BArch (generally 5 year program), or a MArch in conjunction with a BSArch (generally 6 year total). After that, you have to accumulate a certain number of experience hours in different aspects of the practice working under a licensed architect. The number is 700units with one unit equaling 8 hours. So 5600 hours which generally takes people about 3-5 years due to getting the necessary hours in the more difficult aspects such as contract administration and management. In addition to this pain, you have to pay a group called NCARB to "keep your records".
    After that, you are eligible to take the ARE (Architect Registration Examination) which apparently you are likely to fail several parts of it at least a couple times and you have to wait 6 months between each attempt. But once you pass all parts, you are finally a licensed architect (but only in that one state that you took the exam in). If you want to be licensed in other states you have to pay for their exams as well.

So, not sure if you read all that, but basically it is a huuuuge pain to become an architect...so much schooling and interning and preparing and testing...which in no way reflects the average starting salaries. The schooling of med school, the testing of law school, and the liability of both with half the pay.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    hey guys, quick question.

i'll be going into architecture when i get to college, and i was looking at buying a Mac for it, rather than a PC. does anyone know which would be better for this specific major? what are the benefits/disadvantages of each, from your own experience (i've already done some research on the two)? thanks.

Edited by Gwazi, 23 April 2009 - 07:26 PM.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading