Theme Park Discussion / Roller Coaster Jeopardy

• JKay%s's Photo
    As a fun way to try to increase my general roller coaster knowledge, I've come up with this. Not sure how well it will work, but we'll give it a try.

The game is simple. I post an answer and the community posts the corresponding question. Once the question is posed correctly, I will post another and acknowledge who answered correctly. So on and so on.

These answers can take several forms involving the following topic categories:

#1 - Real world roller coasters or parks
    #2 - Roller coaster terminology or facts
    #3 - Roller coaster manufacturers

Possible other topics I might use later as I run out of questions:
    -NE history
    -RCT history
    -History of Roller coasters/themeparks/amusement industry

Since this is my game and my topic, I'm the only one who can acknowledge a correct answer (deal with it unless I appoint someone else).

Now, the internet provides a wealth of information, which is why this game is "jeopardy" style. Its easy to search for a term, but its not as easy to search for a lengthy definition. So hopefully, Google searches will not be a problem.

So, we'll see how it goes. Onto the first question. Topic categories are chosen at random.

If anyone has any questions or how to improve this game, please pm me.

---------------------------
    Question #1
    Category #2

ANSWER:
    A turn that incorporates a medium-to-small dip in the middle of the turn. It usually begins at the crest of the hill and descends into the turn and then ascends out of the turn to crest another hill.
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo
    What is a swoop term, JKay.
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Dixon Steele is correct. Too easy, perhaps.

Question #2
    Category #1

In 1992, Bolliger & Mabillard was the first to introduce this Inverted Roller Coaster, located at this park
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo

Dixon Steele is correct.  Too easy, perhaps.

Question #2
    Category #1

In 1992, Bolliger & Mabillard was the first to introduce this Inverted Roller Coaster, located at this park

View Post

What is Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Great America?
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Xcoaster is correct. Geez, you guys are good....

Question #3
    Category #1

This roller coaster, built in Paris France in 1848, takes claim to having the first inversion ever, which was a vertical loop.
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    Chemin de Centrifuge perchance?
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Tyandor is correct... Though Jkay's not here to say it. Hurry up with another question, so I can get in the game!!!

Ride6
  • JKay%s's Photo
    tyandor is correct, although the response I was looking for was "Centrifugal Railway" (same thing, just translated from French I believe)

Question #4
    Category #2

This element is formed by the exit of an Immelmann going directly into a dive loop. The two elements are positioned as if one is rotated 180 degrees from the other. The train exits the element parallel to it's entry and in the same direction.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    What is Batwing/ Boomerang / Double Sidewinder (depending on if it's manufacturer)?

Ride6
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Those are all correct, except there's one other term I'm looking for.
  • yeshli2nuts%s's Photo
    if all of ride6's are wrong, i'll go with...

what is a cobra roll?
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    Bowtie or Pretzel Knot?
  • Silenced%s's Photo
    How about a bowtie?
  • JKay%s's Photo
    tyandor is correct with "Bowtie". I'll try to be less generic and more specific next time.

Question #5
    Category #2

This was the first roller coaster with 3 inversions built by this manufacturer (name the roller coaster & mfg)
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo
    What is Corkscrew by Arrow Dynamics, JKay.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    What is Rajin' Cajun (Pontchartrain Beach) by Arrow Dynamics - 1978.

-ACE
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Dixon Steele is correct.

Question #6
    (no more categories, you guys are too good)

This inventor, who also designed several roller coasters, created numerous safety devices for lift hills back in the early 1900's
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Who is John Miller.

And Corkscrew only has 2 inversions?

-ACE
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo

Who is John Miller.

And Corkscrew only has 2 inversions?

-ACE

View Post

Not at Cedar Point.
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Acefanatic is correct, although Corkscrew does have 3 inversions. Look here

Question #7

This was the first roller coaster designed by B&M after they broke off ties with their parent company, Intamin, in 1990

p.s. - I'm still deciding, but who ever ends up with the most correct answers may get a sneak peek of my new solo... :nod:

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading