Ask the Experts / guide to nedesigns.com

• posix%s's Photo
    Most of this is outdated.

new element -- www.nedesigns.com -- how this site works

in order to give new members an orientation and a warmer welcome, i decided to write a guide explaining how this site works so that you can get into the parkmaking business easier and quicker.

~~~~~~~

1) the admins
    iris, head of new element (ne from here on) for many years. he is the one who pays for the site's hosting, and has organised everything up to early 2005, when he gave most of the job to corkscrewed.
    corkscrewed, a close friend of iris' who is in charge of keeping the site updated and healthy.
    adix, the one who does all the coding. has moved away to work at EPCOT at Walt Disney World and thus is essentially lost because he shows up, at best, only sporadically.

2) what are designs, runnerups, super runnerups and spotlights?
    Posted Image
    these are coaster designs and not full parks. you build a coaster, theme it and your project is done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted Image
    this is the highest achievement for every parkmaker. a park that wins spotlight is considered to be extremly well done, innovative and mindblowing. the minimum size for these are usually 125x125 squares. if it's below 125x125, it can still be submitted, but it stands a lesser chance of winning since 125x125 has become a sort of "standard" over the years. 90x90 is the absolute minimum size. just remember that the smaller it is, the general less chance it has of winning spotlight.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted Image
    parks that are not worth the "super runnerup" title yet are good enough to be part of ne's downloads.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    super runnerups are parks that didn't quite manage to achieve spotlight status. meaning, they are pretty good but not amazing.

---> note; for the moment, runnerups and super runnerups are to be found in the same category.

~~~~~~~

3) how does my park become either of the above?
    submission, you send your park or design to <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>nedesigns@gmail.com</span>.
    selection, your entries are classified by corkscrewed, iris and maybe a few anonymous decision helpers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    4) what is a parkmaker?
    being a parkmaker is a status. it means that you have been chosen to be one of ne's best rct players. you get your own parkmaker page where all your works will be available for download.
    there are several ways to become parkmaker.
    the most direct way would be to impress the admins with your work. if they think you have the talent you will be offered a spot.
    also, doing well in a contest like h2h or protours is a possibility as there have frequently been new parkmakers chosen at the end of contests.
    another famous way to become parkmaker is by winning the "best non parkmaker" award at the annual "ne awards".
    these awards are user voted and usually given to the winners on a night where the whole community meets in ne's irc chat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    5) contests
    h2h is a team contest at ne and means "head2head". there are 6 teams of 10 players formed. each team has a captain. your team goes up against all other teams in votes about mini parks, made anonymously by two people from your team. there is only one vote about two parks each week. at the end of the vote, the anonymity is unveiled. this is for benefits of anti-bias votings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted Image
    is a money-rewarding contest at ne. all ne parkmakers are qualified. all non-parkmakers have to win a spot. the non-parkmaker participants are found out by mini pre-contests such as "best b&m", "best invert", etc. after that, the objective for the main contest is disclosed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    6) other
    walkthroughs are little essays of diverse site members imagining a real life trip to famous rct parks.

• Ge-Ride%s's Photo
    What about deathmatches?
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    you're awesome, posix. i think you should make part of it directing members to helpful threads like your ll thread or Kumba's hacking thread, or even brent's hosting guide thing.

anyway, great guide posix, you're awesome at these things.
  • laz0rz%s's Photo

What about deathmatches?

View Post

They're not part of the site, they're just organized by NE members.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Your information about adix is horribly out of date.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Adix info fixed. :D
  • Ruiz%s's Photo
    Thanx, posix. It really helped me.
  • thirteen%s's Photo
    H2H does not exist anymore, right?
  • Panic%s's Photo
    Until H2H4 starts, yes. With many parkmakers coming into their prime and others blossoming (JK being just one example), there's no reason why we shouldn't have another one. Hell, an unofficial H2H3.5 started a few months back got enough interest (around 30 people) to make it through two weeks even when most of the great parkmakers were busy with the Pro Tour or solos.

Posix, thanks a lot for making this guide, too many people skip the main site and come straight to the forums and this should help with that.

Edited by Panic, 26 March 2006 - 01:36 AM.

• Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Gonna hold off on H2H4 so that people can actually work on their OWN parks for a while. :lol:
  • posix%s's Photo

Your information about adix is horribly out of date.

View Post

and all you do is just bitch without giving the new information, huh?

cork, well done on h2h4.
    i'd say make spotlights money-rewarding instead of contests. could help maybe :D
  • PBJ%s's Photo

Gonna hold off on H2H4 so that people can actually work on their OWN parks for a while. :lol:

View Post

best idea ever! :lol:

Kumba, X250 and more can go further on ther solo work... and i? i can do the same!
  • Hydro%s's Photo
    yeah, but i do have a question and im not sure where to find the answer... if it is on the site let me know where please... this may sound stupid but, what are HOSTS?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Adix doesn't work at EPCOT now, that didn't work out, he went crazy and moved to a shack with no electricity or running water in the Appalachains of West Virginia.

He also grew facial hair to rival that of Gardner.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

yeah, but i do have a question and im not sure where to find the answer... if it is on the site let me know where please... this may sound stupid but, what are HOSTS?

View Post

Hosts are web sites that are explicitly designed to allow you to put files on their servers. A common example of a free image host is http://www.imageshack.us which lets you up load your pictures onto its site.

Certain sites may specify what kinds of files you can host. Some only allow pictures, others allow only movies, and some allow anything.
  • Hydro%s's Photo
    ok, thanks a lot! :)
  • Ruiz%s's Photo
    Don't feel stupid, my whole family was stumped.
  • CoasterCrzy%s's Photo
    WTF is with your obsession with marshy's mom? Your a teenager man....
  • Ruiz%s's Photo
    And this is the wrong forum. If you got a problem with that, PM me so the topic is appropriate and can bitch in my personal trash can.

Edited by Ruiz, 26 March 2006 - 08:09 PM.

• CoasterCrzy%s's Photo
    Sorry.

Anyways, nice guide, would defineatly help me out if I was a n00bie here.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading